“It is what it claims to be” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Braintree, United Kingdom
“It is what it claims to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

A good pub with a selection of good local beer and imported lager. Friendly landlady, who was helpful with enquiries about the area. We were advised by our guest house that we would not like to dine there. However the good honest food was much more enjoyable than the pretentious rubbish we ate, or on one occasion didn't, at other local establishments.

• Visited September 2013

Camberley, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub, great beer and reasonable food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

WE stopped off at the Chequers for an early evening meal, my prime motive was to try the excellent beer from the Front Street Brewery which is brewed behind the pub. The beer range is very good with both Front Street and guest ales on draft and over 30 other world beer bottles. I had an excellent fish and chips (cat fish) and my wife had the Mushroom Stroganoff (tasty but a tad over priced) the other dishes on the menu represented a good selection, many of which are locally sourced.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Ridiculous”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

First thoughts of the pub were really good. Cosy, friendly and wide range of beers. Then we sat down for dinner! I ordered surf & turf skewer for starters. Consisted of 1 flake of fish, 2 pieces of chorizo and couple bits of veg £6.50! Not quite sure where the surf or turf was. I just regret not taking a picture. Main was really poor as well. No flavour and hardly a 'special'.
It was a shame we stayed for dinner. It was nice until that point. May return for drink only

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely Pub with its own beers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have visited The Chequers Inn several times now whilst in Norfolk. This time we ate as well and will definitely be going back. My husband, myself and two of our children ate at the pub on Thursday night. We have always enjoyed the beer, the Binham Cheer is always excellent and is Brewed on site. My husband is a Camra member so really likes his real ales and Front street Brewery never fails to please.
The food is good pub food, it doesn't pretend to be a "Gastro Pub" it just does pub food well. They do have some more adventurous specials which all sounded good. The Goats Cheese and Roasted Veg Salad was lovely and the Steak and Front Ale Pie was really tasty. The Children enjoyed their Ham, egg and Chips and Sausage and mash, and loved the Sticky Toffee Pudding. I had a Plum Fool which I could have eaten all night, delicious!
The Landlord is really friendly and chatty, and works very hard to keep guests happy. We can thoroughly recommend this pub, and the Beer is great, as a Camra member it really is a treat to have home brewed ales and we simply cannot understand the unkind comment left by a recent guest about the beer, it really is superb.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
london
“Should be so much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've been visiting the Chequers twice a year for the last three years now and each time it's been a massive disappointment.

Let's start with the brewery. The sad fact is, it can't brew a decent beer. I had thought it had been improving (the last time I was there in April the Binham ale was better than it had been) and I was looking forward to seeing how the brewery had come on when we went back last week. Sadly it had regressed back to making the watery, tasteless drink we'd suffered for the past couple of years. We tried two beers, the Swoopy and Blonde, both as bland and tasteless as each other. When there are so many really good beers brewed locally, (Yetmans, Brancaster, Woodforde, Norfolk Square etc etc) they should forget trying to make their own and support the brewers who can make a decent beer.

Second the pub itself. We popped in on a Sunday evening and found the bar lined with people all waiting to be served. It took about ten minutes to get an order in as there was only one lady behind the bar. I guess it's hard to judge how many staff might be needed at any given time (and maybe we were just unlucky).

The thing that really struck me was the lack of atmosphere: the bar was so quiet and glum was given the amount of people that were in that evening. It reminded me of those awful hotel dining rooms where no-one speaks and all you can hear is the clatter of cutlery on plates. You would expect a pub with that many customers to be full of chatter and life. This one felt like being at a wake.

It's really sad, Everything about the Chequers points to a cracking hostelry - it's the only pub in a lovely village and looks like it'll be the perfect place for a pint. But with no atmosphere, and poor beer it's disappointing.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere