“Has been given a makeover and looks fab!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Gissing Hall Hotel
Upper Street | Gissing, Diss IP22 5UN , England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Diss
Suffolk
“Has been given a makeover and looks fab!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

I attended a wedding fayre at Gissing Hall recently and it has been given a really lovely makeover! The marquee for weddings is sparkling and clean and looking lovely! And the Juliet bedroom....wow! It looks like an absolutely stunning and is like a gorgeous boutique hotel room, it really is beautiful. They are doing the whole place up and it should end up looking simply gorgeous. The hotel is due to feature in 'Country House Rescue' on C4 in April. Well done Gissing Hall, you've worked really hard and it has definitely paid off!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

My wife and I had a weeked with our 1 year daughter and found Gissing Hall delightful. Firstly when we arrived we had a room on the top floor and when I checked our baby monitor, the signal didn't reach the restaurant and the staff were very helpful in relocating us to a room on the ground floor (even moving her z-bed down 2 flights of stairs).
The grounds are lovely and we enjoyed a drink in the sun while our daughter had room to run around (although there is a duck pond which she loved but you have to keep an eye on young ones). The hotel itself has an English manor charm - which from reading previous reviews you either think this is beautiful or out-dated, I most certainly think the former.
Both rooms I saw were nice and the en-suite was adequate, yes the tv was small, but I don't watch much telly when I'm on holiday. I did have a look round and I agree that the room up a narrow flight of stairs next to the exposed bolier with your bathroom across the landing doesn't look good.
We were on a half-board deal so had 2 dinners and breakfasts. The breakfast was lovely and certainly filling - one recommendation for the owners would be perhaps a couple more options - kippers or Smoked Salmon and scambled eggs perhaps. The dinners were nice, certainly no compliants, but there is room for improvement, and also more choice or either changing menu/specials, as we were OK for two nights but if we were staying longer we might have run out of options.
One other minor issue for me was no real ale in the bar, but one day before dinner we went down to the pub in the village which has a nice beer garden full of swings/slides, playhouse and other toys for the kids while I enjoyed a very good pint of bitter!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Canterbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I stayed at Gissing hall in the summer with my boyfriend and we had a simply lovely time! We are actually thinking of going back for Christmas! I have been disappointed to read reviews about the rooms and food, saying it's not good enough. We actually asked to see some of the other rooms in case we told friends and family to stay here and they all looked clean and fresh and well cared for. Yes they are quirky and odd shapes in places but if you want square boxes stay in a boring, bland and uninspired Travellodge instead! The food we had was sumptuous and yummy, we were both very impressed! And the staff were so nice.
The grounds are absolutely beautiful...think English rose garden. I can't recommend Gissing Hall highly enough- take my advice, forget what people have said about the rooms etc and go and see for yourself! It is a real hidden treasure box!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We visited Gisshing Hall on the off chance and what a wonderful suprise we had! It is a totally charming and romantic spot, very unique with rambling roses, roof turrets and a grand frontage. It is a true hidden gem. Apparently you can hire the whole place for a wedding which includes 22 rooms, a ballroom and a beautiful fairytale marquee! What a find!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
SOUTH EAST
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

Stayed one night which was more than enough as the rooms was dreadful.
The t v was ancient and did not even have a remote controll.
The bathroom was some thing else, it was like a plastic shed inside it, so very little room inside it you could hardly turn round in it.
my colleagues room was of the same standard only he had a bigger shower room than me, only trouble was he had to sit to use the loo as there was not enough headroom.
My bed was very comfy though
The food was mediocre at the best.
The grounds looked wonderful but I did not have time to explore them.
To sum up looks better in the brouhure than real life. Looks like a nice place to have your wedding at provided you do not stay the night

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We had our wedding reception here and only booked very last minute when somewhere else let us down - it was a very lucky find!
Harrient and Jenny (and all the other staff) knew exactly what they were doing and made the whole day run so smoothly.
The house itself is gorgeous and the ballroom and marquee looked absolutely stunning when all set up for the wedding. Lots of people commented on how good the food was on the day, and we came not long before the wedding for a meal in the restaurant which we both really enjoyed.
As others have commented, the bedrooms were a little shabby around the edges but had plenty of charm and character and were clean.
We'll definately be back for a night away or dinner sometime soon.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Lovely room, nice grounds but really really hard to find and staff seemed somehow suprised that guests struggled to find it which was really annoying as we lost half an hour finding on first approach and again returning late at night*. Staff friendly but unaware of going extra bit to make guests feel welcome. Menu looked poor but breakfast was OK.
Overall? Won't be going back. Nothing really bad but nothing really special either and that's the difference isn't it?

*Yes can read maps. It is really middle of nowhere and second time after staff misdirection only a friendly local flagging us down at midnight and asking to help got us there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Gissing Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!