“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Leeds
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I was treated to a stay at Redworth Hall Hotel for my birthday. We upgraded to a superior deluxe room and we were treated to a room with a fabulous view and loads of windows. The staff were very friendly and the pool was welcoming.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Donaghadee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

My two night stay in an hotel with history, character and friendly staff was marred by terrible food! Hopefully the management are experiencing a temporary setback in their standard of cuisine but it was absolutely dire. For example, on arrival at 1030 the only scone on offer was fruit, had a diameter marginally wider than a golf ball, was undercooked in the middle and cost £5.95 with tepid coffee.
Lunch on the same day was slow to arrive. I ordered steak and kidney pie and specified that I preferred the chunky chips with the aioli dip. The green splodge in a ramikin on the plate looked and tasted suspiciously like guacomole. When I asked for the aioli I was refrerred to said splodge and told; "it's on your plate". Anyway, when I pointed out the difference the switch occurred. By the way, it is important to note that only the aioli was mentioned in the menu-to accompany chunky chips. I double checked the menu to make sure I hadn't misread it. I hadn't, so where was the kidney? It certaintly wasn't in my pie. I did mention it lightly to the lady responsible for clearing the table-with humour I hope..

My evening meal was terrible. The french onion soup had the viscosity of thick onion gravy. The main was a disgusting pork dish with slabs of cold butter poised on top yearing for some heat to help it melt. Alas, there was insufficient heat to start the process! Others experienced the same and duly complained on the night. Honest, it was horrible.

Lunch on the Tuesday was a simple buffet affair with the usual array of chilli; rice; curry; potatoes; salad stuff, etc. . . you get the picture. I have to say that it was indeed fine. Tasty, warm with adequate portion control.

I had another evening meal to endure and I thought nothing could possibly go wrong with "Posh Sausages" as advertised..How wrong can one be? I don't wish to appear over fussy here and must accept that the way I like my sausages cooked may not be to everyones preference. I simply like them to look cooked. By that I mean that they should show signs of being rolled around in hot fat or exposed to the hot element of a grill. Mine had the appearance of having been boiled. How did they taste you might ask! I have no idea. I wasn't that hungry to try them. In fairness though, their were others at my table who had salmon steaks and they enjoyed them, clearing their respective plates. Others on the sausages seemed to cut bits off here and there and dance them about their plates. It reminded me of the Mr BEAN "Steak Tartar" sketch!!

On a positive note, the roaring log fire at reception was most inviting as we arrived and proved a popular place for residents to relax and browse the papers. The rooms are a fair size, if not a tad hard to navigate to, and well appointed although working out how to operate the lights was a real puzzle. It was a topic of discussion amongst many guests, with one admitting to removing bulbs from table lamps in order to darken down for the night and get over to sleep.

I don't often rant on these issues. I have little enough spare time for such activities but here is my motivation. If, as a parent, I considered that hotel to host a son or daughter's wedding reception or the like, I'd be grateful for this information to help me decide. I look forward to hear from others' experience and only hope it was a richer, more pleasurable one than mine...

• Liked — The setting around the Hall .
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

What a wonderful weekend we had! Got an upgrade as we mentioned it was our anniversary. We went for the DB&B option, and weren't disappointed with the quality of the food, despite it being a table d'hote menu. The staff were extremely friendly and couldn't do enough to help - except when we went to leave. Our car was parked at the back of the hotel, beside the conference centre entrance and, although we have already checked out, were told we had to trek all the way to reception to hand back our door cards. Needless to say, they are now on holiday themselves in our house! All in all, though, thoroughly recommended.

• Liked — The fact that our room was at the end of a corridor overlooking the garden; no noisy neighbours
  • Disliked — The lift was not working all the time we were there; not great for people with mobility issues
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Cheshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

This was our 4th stay at Redworth and we have always, up to now, enjoyed the experience. Not sure if Barcelo have yet to get to grips or are turning it into yet another plastic 4* for business. Rooms were still very good and the majority of the staff were really helpful A request for an ice-pack for a swollen ankle was almost instantly dealt with. Unfortunately the food is now the weak point. The breakfast bar was pityful compared to previous visits and because of very bad weather, we decided to eat in the bar. Not an experience to be repeated and I can truly say it was dreadful. Lasagne at £12 without hardly any meat and almost inedible steak pie. A comment to the staff met with a "Oh!" and nothing else! At least it was removed from the bill at checkout. Unless you get an exceptional deal on-line, then best avoided until you hear otherwise.

• Liked — Size of standard rooms
  • Disliked — Quality of food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bury, Lancs.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

I booked this visit as a nice relaxing break after the madness of Christmas for my girlfriend and I. I wish I'd never bothered. The hotel looked nice on approach. On entering reception at 2.15pm it was apparent there was a wedding taking place. An hour after the advertised check-in time we were still waiting for our room along with around 20 other guests and a number of drunken wedding guests in the cramped reception.

Our room was fine. Quite compact and a bit like a glorified travel lodge but fine. On ordering our food in the bar we were made to wait another hour despite only one other couple ordering. The residents bar and most of the ground floor of the hotel was then taken over by drunken wedding guests.

In the evening we went to bed early as there was nowhere in the hotel to relax due to the wedding. We were then kept awake by guests slamming doors and having loud conversations outside until all hours. The couple next door then had quite a violent sounding domestic. I tried to contact reception a number of times to alert them to this fact but got no answer on all occasions.

In the morning on finding out another wedding was taking place I asked to be moved to a new room and was informed no wedding guests would be near us (yeah right!). After a pleasant day out in Durham we returned to find a hotel taken over again by wedding guests plus the whole of the MK Dons football team and entourage. We ate out in the neighbouring town that night and could not find anywhere to sit on our return until 23.30!
We promptly moved after listening to five guests in succession complaining about various things.

That night we were kept awake by the DJ in the function room on our floor, a fire alarm, guests shouting to other guests through their windows, slamming doors and a party until 5am in the next room. Again no answer from reception.

The reception staff were unconcerned and rude when informed of our problems in the morning.
A letter to the hotel manager after our stay was met with a generic reply which we had to pay the postage on! Never ever again!!!
PLEASE PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO ELSEWHERE, unless you like Fawlty Towers!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

Plus points

The bathroom in the Spa bedrooms are very nice.
The leisure facility is also very good.

Negative

The hotel bar (almost part of a corridor) is poor and pricey.

• Liked — The bathroom was excellent
  • Disliked — It is a rabbit warren of levels and corridors
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
oxford, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

"two old crumblies from Bucks" - Lovely impression on arrival. Like another reviewer we also stayed in room 111. Loved the spaciousness and the style of decoration. Agree with reviewer that it was too hot (even for a stormy January), but solved the problem by opening a window !
Unfortunately found restaurant badly run in the evening, by a grumpy manageress, and the food choice extremely limited - particularly irritating as same menu on both nights. Breakfast was very good, and much better run. We are about to try another hotel in the group, in Cheshire. Hope the room is as good and the food better !

• Liked — spacious bedroom
  • Disliked — dining room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!