“What has happened to this place” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Birtley
Cuisines: English, Tapas, Oyster Bar, Sandwiches
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Mill House Never Sleeps....We offer a varied menu with lunch specials,steak specials & a paella evening. Bar tapas also available. Call in, relax and enjoy a glass of wine from our extensive wine menu....... It's an excuse to call in and see exactly what we do, how we do it and when! Look forward to seeing you.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“What has happened to this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

The Mill house has been open for some years now it used to be a vibrant buzzing place the food was also very good. Visited this Easter Monday, the decking outside is filthy, dead pot plants etc so not a good first impression, despite this we did decide to sit outside as the weather was lovely, when ordering food I was told if we sat outside we could only order the main course, no starters!! I ordered the prawn sandwich I was told there were no prawns, we then ordered the mussels to be told there were non left, this was 2.30pm the pub is open all day so God only knows what late diners were going to be left with, we then ordered the king prawns in chilli, strangely enough they did have this dish, although when they arrived the prawns themselves were watery and pretty tasteless the sauce and rice were ok.

Whilst sitting outside we saw quite a few people arrive and leave without eating or drinking presumably due to the limited menu and stupid rules.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Friendly and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

If you're heading up the A1, this is a useful stop-off. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The menu was wide-ranging - tomato and basil soup, Thai mussels, salmon in orange and chilli butter and hearty steak and ale pie - with good mash. The desserts were less tasty. The ambiance was relaxed, the toilets clean and it was good value for money.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Service has vastly improved!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Dined at the Mill House last night. Honestly I have not been there for a few years as I always found the service to be poor but decided as a last minute thing to give it another go. I have to say the staff were excellent! They were so helpful and friendly and the food was gorgeous just as I had remembered. My only criticism was that my bread for my pate and my partners Bruchetta was a little on the overdone side. After our meal we relaxed in the bar. Great atmosphere to chill out. I will defo return in the near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Always great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Great food, excellent, friendly service, good price. The beer is well-kept and the wine is good. A two course meal with free drink for £10 - bargain. Can't ask much more really.
I can recommend the Thai green curry mussels!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Bland Food, Robotic Service, Awful Children's Selection”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Great pub with a brilliant old-world, classic feel with a good atmosphere. Food is a real let-down and I feel it is getting worse. It feels like they have become really complacent and trade on the look/feel of the house and have stopped trying. Food is ok, but rather bland and nothing exciting; the service is robotic and very formulaic, no personalisation; children's menu and options are limited unless your children will eat Steak Sandwich and Chips (!). We ordered some vegetables (to go with the kids steak!) - only to be given a strange selection of vegetables that you wouldn't put together and we were told its because they were Winter Vegetables!

• Visited February 2014