“Nice Place but room for improvements” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“Nice Place but room for improvements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Been a couple of times, once to eat and once for a drink with friends and both times had a pleasant time but saw where improvements could be made.

My first visit was in the first few weeks of the place opening and I went for Lunch with a friend. The place wasn't busy but I wasn't that surprised as it was Monday lunch, We had a choice of seats around this large hall which was nice as they could have huddled all the people that were in the hall together. Service and the food we eat was great though was disappointed not to be able order of the main menu (which looked great I will add). I asked the waitress and was told the main menu was just for evening and we could order of a sandwich menu which consisted of 4 sandwiches (with chips etc) or a breakfast menu. I hope that was just in first few weeks as they got up to speed with the menu, If not then this needs to be looked at as some people like to something different to sandwiches at lunchtimes.

My second visit was the weekend before Xmas, I went to meet friends who were as close to a married couple as you can get. Now they arrived around 5 minutes before me so I had to enter the hall on my own and that where I have a major problem it seems. Now I arrive at the door to be met by a velvet rail with a bouncer and another single bloke (who had a few too many and was being annoying to the bouncer), So I stood back waiting to catch the eye of the bouncer but that never came. Now a group of people arrived and the bouncer lets them straight in by moving the barrier, so I moved to go behind them to be stopped and asked where I think I was going. I replied to the bouncer that I was going to meet friends and catch up with them and now I'm being asked who were my friends and really given the third degree by him, I eventually was allowed in but it sort of dented my evening for awhile as I explained to my friends why I was late and the hassle I had. (The time was around 8pm and I was not drunk and dressed smart)
Once I was in there I had a pleasant hour or so in their while I caught up with my friends and his partner.

Overall I think the place is nice, well worth a visit and I will visit again though if I was thinking of catching up with friends I will make sure I arrive with them or I suspect I will have to go through hassle of getting in unless the management change the door policy or put a notice up that single middle age men must be accompanied with another person.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

bedfordshire
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Went with a group of 10 friends (all women) for our xmas meal out. Had booked over a month earlier to find upon arrival that the table we'd booked would not be hours all night and that we had a 2 hour booking and would have to move elsewhere after eating, was not informed this when booked. Food was actually great, service was pretty good too but told that our table 'needed to quieten down' as were disturbing the other diners - actually when looking around no other table was actually eating at this point! We were not dancing on tables, drunk and loud, we were a bunch of girls laughing and chatting amongst ourselves (in fact it was only 9pm when we were told to quieten down and we hadn't hardly drunk anything). A friend was 2 tables down and I went and asked if we had disturbed her with our noise and she said she hadn't even heard us! Though we planned on staying till closing time, we felt that we should leave and asked for bill. I suggest you check your bill ... one of our group ordered ONE champagne cocktail, on checking the bill THREE were listed, also a pint of Guinness had been added to our bill. I wonder if this is a regular occurrence to other patrons? Well we had hoped this would be a suitable venue to a bunch of 40 somethings for nights out but we have decided that we will not be frequenting this bar again. Such a shame as it is actually a beautiful place. I wonder if this is place is aimed at couples as it is obviously not aimed at a group of people spending almost £400 on their night out. Disappointed to say the least!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Good music, poor food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

great place for a jive dancing night! Please management set up a night. Atmosphere great, food really poor.

Visited December 2013
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Nice venue but needs more.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Gave Georges another go after disappointing first visit. However, no better I'm afraid. Staff are quite pleasant but are lacking in customer service. Wasn't shown to table, instead were pointed to where we were going to be seated. Service wasn't good and had to ask for empty glasses to be removed, for more drinks and our mains to be cleared! It wasn't busy but there was no attention to what stage the diners were at.
The place was chilly, the food just ok and the atmosphere strained.
On the way out the assistant manager asked if all was ok and I was honest with her and told her how we felt, she was very nice and apologetic and said would pass our comments on.

I asked if they were going to rent the place out for private funcions as it would be a great venue for large parties or weddings even, she explained that they had had a few enquiries about this already and that they were going to decide in the new year. I think this would be their best option as unless the food and service vastly improve I doubt they will keep open for very long.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brandon K, General Manager at George's Hall Bar & Grill, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for contacting us regarding your visit to George's Hall. I would really like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us with your comments.

I have read with concern your comments regarding your visit and I can understand your disappointment. Our philosophy is to treat each customer as a guest in our own home. Obviously, on this occasion we let you down and, on behalf of the team, I apologise.

Please let me assure you that we take comments and complaints very seriously. In resolving complaints we fully investigate and ensure that the issues are acted upon.

I would therefore like to assure you that I have carried out a full investigation and have since addressed the issues you raised. I have also taken the opportunity to revisit overall standards within the business and ensure a more focussed attitude is adopted towards quality and standards in order to continually meet our guests’ expectations.

Your comments are extremely valued and I would once again like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to address the shortfalls encountered.

I do hope this has not deterred you from returning in the future as I am confident you will enjoy your future visits.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you again very soon!
UK/Canada
“Average food, shocking music.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

On entering I was impressed with this venue. Service was prompt and friendly.
I was very disappointed to be served a warm bottle of Moët. Thankfully, it chilled quickly in a proper ice bucket.
Unfortunately, a shockingly bad singer took the stage halfway through our mediocre starter of a sharing plate of seafood. I have no idea what the battered rings were, but they certainly weren't calimari. The whitebait was too fishy tasting to be fresh and the fries were undercooked and greasy.
Both of our fillet steaks were over cooked but edible. The accompanying salads were tasty but the 'hand cut chips' varied from burnt to raw.
Back to the caterwauling...
Throughout our meal, we had only one respite from the 'music' that was so loud I could feel it vibrating in my chest. Forget trying to have a conversation.
We certainly didn't linger for coffee and desert.
Management needs to decide on what sort of clientele they hope to attract.
Perhaps none, as there was security on the door turning people away although the place was less than half full.
All in all a thoroughly disappointing meal that left me with a pounding headache.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere