“Birthday Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Booked for my partners Birthday, the staff were attentive with an excellent focus on creating a great evening. The pub and the gardens it sits in are beautiful, I would definitely want to host an evening reception here. The food is excellent value for money and the choice of drinks is varied and of a good standard. Facilities for Children very good. I would also like to comment on how exceptionally clean the W.C's are a must for me when dining at any restaurant. All the staff were committed and gave us a wonderful evening. Nice clean, good food would recommend.

bedfordshire
“Excellent Service every time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I can not believe some of the comments; the pub has been under new management and the improvements being made show real progress. You will be hard pushed to find a more beautiful setting. The staff are warm friendly and go out of their way to make your evening special; family get togethers special birthdays and business lunch all excellent. Top class service with top class customer service will keep me going back. Good variety on the menu too.

Stevenage, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Went here with friends and had a lovely meal, steak cooked to perfection and i'm fussy! Service was quick and always friendly, couldn't fault it. Very good value for money and would recommend to anyone

• Visited February 2014
Bedfordshire
“Very lovely lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We have just returned from a lovely lunch here. We had a Groupon deal, but judging by the food, ambience and service we would have gladly paid full price.
The nachos were very tasty - served with a subtly spiced salsa and sour cream. My husband had the bacon and black pudding stack which he thoroughly enjoyed - when he has eaten black pudding elsewhere it had always been hard and tough; this was beautifully cooked, soft and flavoursome.
For main course he had the game pie; an enormous creation full of different meats; all of which were beautifully cooked and very tender. It was accompanied by with mash and vegetables that covered the large plate. I chose the sweet potato, chick pea and lentil cassoulet - a large dish on its own but came with wonderfully fluffy rice, two pieces of nan and a lovely refreshing mango chutney (not the commercially produced sickly sweet type). So much lovely food I could not finish it all - despite giving it my best efforts.
The house wines were very acceptable (Merlot & Pinot Grigio) and reasonably priced.
All in all we would recommend going for a meal here and will certainly return.

Bedfordshire
“Won't be going back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have eaten here many times over the years but this was the worst meal I have had anywhere in a long time. I felt that I had been robbed of my evening out.
The starters were good but the steaks and the ribs were rubbish and I couldn't eat mine.
The kids serving were OK but when it came to complaining about several aspects of the meal, the manager, also a kid, was well out of is depth. He told us that he had sold 17 fillet steaks that day and had no complaints. Frankly I don't care if other people were prepared to put up with it, a £20 piece of meat shouldn't be inedible.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere