“Great place to eat” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Biggleswade
Cuisines: American, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The Lounge is a coffee lounge and bistro by day offering a wide range of refreshments with breakfast and brunch dishes.By night, wines and beers are served with our bistro and small plates menus.Bringing a sophisticated and relaxed dimension to dining and drinking, the Lounge is fast becoming the place to be, at any time of the day or night.Free high speed WiFi access and quiet, relaxed atmosphere, making it an ideal venue for day time business meetings and an ideal spot for friends to meet for coffee, a leisurely lunch or evening meal.
Sandy, United Kingdom
“Great place to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Nice atmosphere and Johnny the owner is always very friendly and we have found the waiters to be attentive and helpful unlike some other reviewers who have not had the same experience. We have always had good quality food.......even if it is a little expensive, but the downside is that service can be very slow. Well worth a visit though.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chippenham, England, United Kingdom
“nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Squid and stuffed butte squash very good, my sirloin very tasty, but not rare as ordered, my partners chicken breast cordon blue overcooked, very dry.
One waiter and the girl at the bar very friendly and polite, third waiter likes to lecture you about wine temperature when he should really just bring the ice bucket you requested.

The setting is very nice and the decor is excellent, add a charismatic front person to this place and it's a winner all the way

Visited June 2013
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Nice building, poor food, stained carpets”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Lounge is in a lovely old building, with loads of character, in the centre of Biggleswade. I have been here many times for a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea brunch with friends. It's fine for that, but service is often slow and indifferent.

I went there with a group of five friends on a weekday night, at 5pm for a light supper. The restaurant was empty. Considering this, service was still very slow. Several of us ordered the fish cakes, one ordered a goats cheese tart, the other a butternut squash dish. The fish cakes were all potato, not a hint of fish. The goats cheese tart was tasteless. All were served with a side salad, which was unimaginative and bland. We did complain and the service charge was taken off. However, it was an expensive, tasteless snack. The only saving grace was we ordered two portions of chips, which were lovely.

Bacon sandwich yes, anything else, no!

As an aside, for the prices, I would expect a clean, unstained carpet and clean toilets.

Visited June 2013
the_Lounge_Biggles, General Manager at the Lounge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for providing this feedback following your recent visit.
I am sorry to learn of your disappointing experience, and wanted to offer some insight to the points you raised.

Our dinner bookings are typically made by guests for 7:00pm onwards, as was the case on the night you visited, and I was unaware of any delay to the service to your table, particularly as you were an early evening booking, when we are quieter.

The fishcakes on the evening you visited were made with pollock, and contained the usual generous quantity of fish and mash potato. We accept the flavours can be lacking from pollock and following your feedback on the night we have discontinued the use of this fish.

I can assure you our carpets are steam cleaned on a monthly basis, however any spillage of coffee will leave the marks you have referred to on the interim periods. Our bathrooms are maintained to a very high standard, were cleaned at 4:45pm and are checked hourly; I really cannot imagine how they were unclean.

We appreciate all feedback and make use of it in the most constructive manner. I am sorry your felt your experience was as you found it.
London, United Kingdom
“Over priced standard beer, but nice atmosphere.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The restaurant is nice to sit in and the atmosphere is all right. But the choice of beers at such a price was a little undermining. I respect what they're doing but I just think the presentation of food was a little slack and kind of pricey for what it is.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“Disappointed on Saturday Evening”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have used the lounge for lunch time gatherings quite a few times and have always enjoyed the food/drink. On this basis we booked to go with friends who were visiting. Unfortunately the atmosphere was not good for us middle-aged diners. The music (?) was loud club type music reminiscent of Ibizia club nights and not at all appropriate for a relaxed evening. The food service was also a bit on the slow side and didn't help. Unfortunately we didn't feel able to stay for desert and coffee. Food when it did arrive was good and tasty.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
the_Lounge_Biggles, General Manager at the Lounge, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Richard,

thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your recent visit to the Lounge.

I appreciate the atmosphere of the venue on a weekend night may differ from that of a mid-week night. The venue does change style on the weekends, and from 8:30 pm our choice of music will be a more current and popular sound, and will be louder.

I do appreciate the style of music may not be your personal choice and accept the atmosphere is quite different from that on Tuesday through Thursday evenings.

I am very glad to know your food was in keeping with your expectation of us, and offer you a sincere apology for the delay you experienced on that particular evening.

I do appreciate your regular and loyal custom, and would be only too happy to compensate you for having a disappointing night with us. Please let me know when we might see you again so I may take care of that.
Thank you again.