“1/2 day trip Fossil hunt hike” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 15 Activities in Spitsbergen
Surfers Paradise, Australia
8 attraction reviews
“1/2 day trip Fossil hunt hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Booked a Fossil Hunt with packdog tour in june. Wow what great service.
They picked me up at cruise terminal and drove me through town, up the valley to Nybyen – as far as the road goes.I met my guide and the pack dog and a family that were hiking with me. We saet off, it was easay walking on old roads and paths at first, past the old husky kennels through a herd of reindeer. then the adveneture really began. Fording the glacial melt to climb over fast flowing freezing water. hiking the moraine of mountains of shale and rocks. climbing a small ice flow. Eventually we reached the edge of the glacier where the fossil fields are. Every one of our group found fossils, with varying degree of sizes and wow factors. We enjoyed a cup of hot coffee or tea then began the hike back (thank goodness it was mostly downhill).
After the hike they dropped me in town to souvenir shop before returning me to the cruise ship.
It was a fabulous day, well done and well looked after.
On their website it says "the tour is for people with normal psychical conditions" I would suggest a certain level of fitness, walking uphill on the stones, pebbles, shale & ice was tough going, though not impossible.
To me this was a real Arctic adventure, the highlight of my trip to Arctic circle as it was something I hadnt ever done before and was out of my comfort zone, which made it all the more adventurous and therefore memorable.
10/10 for Green dog Fossil hunt with Pack dog

Visited July 2014

Lillehammer, Norway
“Excitement!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

A party of collegues from Norway, none of us very familiar with dogs and knowing nothing abour dog-sledding had a fantastic day with lovely dogs and nice people. Perfect weather, og possibly one of de last possibilities to dog-sledge in this area befor the snow melts. We all areed on Nikes slogan: JUST DO IT!

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I went for the dog-sledding and ice-cave tour in February. It was loads of fun, and I definitely recommend you go with Greendog! First we played with the dogs and buckled them up for the trip. The way to the ice-cave was fun, but sometimes you need to get off the sled and help the dogs out a bit on the incline. Then lunch, followed by a trip to an ice cave, and then come back. Time well spent in Svalbard :)

I wrote a blog post with some pictures about the sledding, have a look here if you are interested: http://rafal.io/posts/svalbard-dogsledding.html

Thanks for a great time Greendog!

Visited February 2014
Adelaide, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“Green Dog, White Everything Else”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We took a Green Dog, expedition to the Ice Cave on a clear March day. After a drive to the base camp, a short drive out of town, we were suited up and mingled with the dogs for a while as others got ready. Then after some brief instructions (how to stop) we were off. One passenger and one driver, taking turns as we went.
I was surprised by the size, or lack of, of the dogs. Much smaller than I expected. Quite frequently I had to jump off (but still hang on) to the sled and give them a hand going up the hills. But that's cool, all part of the fun just don't think the dogs are doing all the work. Most of it I'll grant you, but occasionally you pitch in.
The journey took us to an ice cave, a memorable spot in itself, but for me it was the quiet, the still white landscape that was most amazing. There is literally nothing out there but snow, and lots of it.
It's a world apart, Svalbard, and what better way to experience it than with some fun, cute and sometimes smelly canine friends. For myself and I guess most others it really is one of those once in a lifetime experiences.
Thanks Jimmi and Hendrix.

Visited March 2014
8 attraction reviews
“Active and fun! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We just loved it. The weather was perfect, and that made it a easy going experience :-) The dogs were lovely and friendly, and just fun to handle. It was important to us that the guides were nice to the dogs, and they really treated the dogs good. The ice cave is amazing and really worth a visit. The lunsj was the only disappointment, and a suggestion is a little better "dry food", and maybe a possibilitie to choose between a couple of types. But all over we just loved the experience, and recommend Green Dog for this kind of trips.