“Lovely family run apartments” 4 of 5 stars

Villa Marina
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   | Anissaras, Hersonissos, Crete, Greece   |
Ranked #54 of 183 Hotels in Hersonissos
Nottingham
“Lovely family run apartments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This place is really hard to review as the apartment is very basic but the people are so lovely. I wouldn't normally stay anywhere below 3* or self catering so really didn't know what to expect. All the reviews good and bad I would say are correct. The apartments are basic and only cleaned every other day. The roads are awful, very busy and no pavements and for that reason I wouldn't recommend small children to go here. Unless you catch a taxi when going out, the pool on the other hand is great for little kids. Marina and Thassos are fantastic host and they work so hard. Thassos barbecue evening is a must and also his specialities. Marina will also adapt meals for vegetarians.
The bar was open until 2pm but we were never kept awake by it, or the planes as we didn't hear any between 12.00 until 7am. The crickets which are very noisy, stop making a noise when it is dark so that wasn't a problem either. Infact its the crickets that kill the mosquitoes, so we came home without a single bite which is a first.
Although it was very hot we didn't bother with the aircon at 5 euros a day. We found if you open the doors for a bit before going to bed it cooled the room down enough.
The beach is only a 15 minute walk away, we didn't bother going in the day as the pool was so nice.
If you are expecting to cook evening meals in your apartment then you may be disappointed as the facilities are minimal. No problem if you want to have cerals and sandwiches. Who goes away to cook anyway I know I don't. There is a Kettle provided and you can buy from Marina 6 bottles of water(large) for 3 euro's and there was a shop nearby for milk and veg.
We only went on one trip which was to Aqua waterpark as we were just going to relax. I would recomend this waterpark and it was only a short bus ride away. Hersonissos is a nice town to go in the evening and have a meal by the sea. Otherwise I would stay on site and have one of Thassos & Marina's meals. All the rooms would need is a lick of paint, new shower unit and kitchen cubbard this would make a world of difference.All in all if you want a relaxing break and not bothered about how basic the room is then this is the place for you. If you can get a cheap flight then you will be laughing as it is so cheap to stay here.

Room Tip: Some rooms look out to the sea others look out to the garden
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I booked our holiday to Greece very last minute and on limited budget, but were pleasantly surprised with our stay at Villa Marina on Crete.

We didn't know what to expect at all when we arrived and were really just hoping not to end up too near the delights of drunken English and Dutch holiday makers closer to town in Hersonissos and nearby Malia.

We had thought we had double confirmed we would be given a double bed but were shown to a twin room. To be fair to the patrons Marina and Thassos, we didn't complain and it was late and didn't expect we'd be given a double if we did, but I may be wrong. We did refuse to pay the 10 Euros a day for air conditioning however and luckily it was cool enough that we didn't need it.

We booked self-catering and noticed straight away that our fridge door didn't shut, but when we told Marina her husband Thassos fixed it so we could keep food in it. A tip - don't put drinks bottles in the fridge door as this causes the door to sag and was the cause of our door not closing.

Food at the Villa Marina was cheap and generally good, we ate out most of the time but we had one of Thassos's barbecues - he had a lamb on a spit and a lot of marinated pork which was all delicious.

Marina and Thassos are excellent hosts and very helpful, the customer services skills of some of their staff however can leave a bit to be desired, but generally OK.

The beach is a 20 minute walk downhill and there a some OK bars and restaurants on the beach. Turn right at the bottom and there are good beaches around the headland, if you turn left there are good beaches past the Lyttos Beach Hotel complex.

I'd recommend hiring a car and exploring - forget Heraklion, busy and dirty. I'd recommend a trip to Rethymno and the Fortezza.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We went back to Crete this year and again stayed at Villa Marina. This is two Star accommodation and the price of the holiday reflects that but you do not spend all your holiday in the apartment, whether it is basic or five star.The planes do go over quite frequently but that is after they have passed over the Aldermar, Creta Village and the other 5 star hotels along the beach front! I have holidayed on many Greek islands and never had a bed that was the same as my one at home and the plumbing is a pain but that is Greece.
Marina and Tassos do all they can to make your stay, a good one. They are both past retirement age and their energy is amazing. Marina frequently works 16+ hours per day and the food that she cooks is amazing. The basic menu is a bit limited but the 'specials' more than make up for that and the prices are reasonable.
It is a self catering holiday and the basics are supplied-not washing up liquid, tea towels etc. take your own.I have had some very expensive holidays in exotic locations but would recommend this to anyone. We paid £243 each! An absolute bargain.

Room Tip: Have a larger room if the price is not too prohibitive.
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

If it wasnt for the hospitality I would have given it a two.
I thought I’d give this place a try because even though it is a 2 star- which I wouldn’t usually even consider- the reviews are quite good and I found a good deal for it. The hotel is primarily an Olympic resort which is who I booked through.
If I could give it 2.5 I would.
The lesson I learned is you get what you pay for and having good hospitality can only get you so far- it is my opinion and I know there are people who love this place and go back year after year- good for them- I can see why some people would. It’s just not for me.
Looking at some of the pictures, some of the rooms look like they’ve had a face-lift compared to the one we stayed in- ie. they look clean and fresh- and generally much, much better (tip then: avoid villa 21!).
Firstly the most off-putting thing about the accommodation was our bathroom. I dreaded going in there! Old plastic bucket and dirty old broom next to the basin was just gross. I put it outside. The shower had hair in it and the toilet was brown inside with a seat that was too small for it. The bathroom window doesn’t stay open.
Half-way through our stay I went to ask for more toilet paper because it was running out. Marina was shocked (‘You’ve finished it ALREADY?’) and told me that they charge 1 Euro for additional toilet paper, but gave me one as a goodwill gesture. There was no point in explaining that we were only given half a roll to begin with! If I’d known to bring my own loo paper I would have done.
The fridge in the kitchenette needs to be replaced- it is ancient and has brown stains inside. However I was pleasantly surprised to see that the freezer actually worked!
Utensils and pots and pans are provided, although you need your own sponge and washing-up liquid. Towels are also provided and the rooms are ‘cleaned’ every second day. By cleaned I mean the beds are made and the bathroom floor is rinsed. Don’t look under the beds- I did and it was filthy.
We ate at the bar twice- first for dinner and then for the much raved-about BBQ. The dinner was average - I had calamari which was just some frozen manufactured supermarket food but my husband enjoyed the pork souvlaki; the BBQ was good and fun- it is worth doing although for 16 euro each I expected a drink to be included. The drinks do cost more than at the restaurants but you obviously pay for the convenience of having a cold Amstel without having to do much!
It’s about a 10 min walk to the beach and you can get a 5 min bus to a big Spar (3 Euro return each), however there’s also a big wholesale food place across the road (Mega Cava) selling fresh fruit and veg and lots of other food which we discovered.
Annisaris is okay but we did a few day trips and saw much nicer looking towns where I’d stay next time. I’d highly recommend doing a day trip to Spinalonga and Knossis.
The hospitality of Marina and Tasos is good- they are great hosts and clearly enjoy entertaining.
In my opinion if you want a holiday where you can just do your own thing and enjoy a decent, clean, self-catering villa then this isn’t the place for you. If you want to sit at the pool all day, eat at the bar, chat to the owners and aren’t too bothered about cleanliness then this is for you.

Room Tip: I stayed in 21 and didnt like it; not sure what the others are like but they seem to have private ba...
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for 10 nights in July 2013, we are a couple in are twenties and usually go abroad in Europe once a year. I'll keep things simple:

Pro's:
To the right as you exit is a 15min walk to the nice beach but a little stoney 'ANISSA' reasonably quiet and plenty of sunbeds (€5-€6 for 2 beds and umbrella) a couple decent bars/restaurants, supermarkets and 4*& 5* hotels; some of the sunbeds outside those are exclusive to their guests; we got moved on.

On the left is a 5min walk to the bus stop NO.18 and you will need it! (unless you want to drive yourself or are happy to stay at the hotel). We prefer to eat out somewhere different every night and see as much as possible so used it most days and our excursion buses picked us up there (there is no pick up from outside the hotel apart from our transfers and taxi's). The closest and busiest town is Hersonissos, 5min bus journey for €3.20 for 2 one way. It has plenty of seafront bars/restaurants, souvenir shops and Aqua World €6 pp (recommended). Then next along is Stalida, (Stalis was the best beach, stoneless sand and shallow crystal clear/blue water), open air museum €6 pp (recommended) lots of shops, restaurants all within short waking distance and in hindsight we would stay here should we visit Crete again (which we definitely would).

In the opposite direction, bus to Heraklion €5 for both one way (€34 for taxi!). Loved the capital and plenty of shops, places to eat, stunning views and great for a sunset over the mountain tops!

Con's:
Went self catering but so basic not really able to cook a full meal for 2 (fortunately we didn't want to). No washing up liquid or sponge and cutlery was rusted.

Apparently we were lucky and got a free upgrade to a 3 bedroom (we booked for 2). The room was a decent size and balcony was nice but the double bed was low, very hard, 1 pillow pp only, 1 plug socket, had to PAY and SHOP for your OWN LOO ROLL! Never have I had to do that! Air-con and Safe were extra costs too, didn't use either. Room was cleaned every other day, not great considering you cannot put loo roll down the toilet! Floor was not swept or mopped the entire 10 days! You do have the means to do it yourself. There was no means to hook the shower head up and the shower curtain was poorly hung around with little room to move without it sticking to you. The noise from crickets were immensely loud (as if nested right outside the door!), very close busy main road and as the hotel is on a flight path there is regularly loud noises from overhead aeroplanes hence we found it very hard to get a full nights sleep.

The roads near the hotel had no pavements, so we were constantly looking over our shoulders when we walked down to the beach or to the bus stop. Cars were happy to pass by within an inch of touching. There are also no crossings which made getting across the wide road quite dangerous. Marina was nice enough and was always cheerful even when charging me €1 for 1 toilet roll!

The pool looked clean but we never used it.

We never ate at the hotel but there was a specials board updated everyday, prices seemed reasonable.

Needless to say we would not stay again, fortunately the beautiful island of Crete more than made up for it.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

spent a week at villa marina in july 2012, thassos & marina are great hosts and make everybody welcome,which in turn makes for a friendly atmosphere all round, girlfriend and i enjoyed marinas cooking and not too expensive with a specials board most nights, appartments not far from nice beach and the gardens are well looked after, only negative would be that rooms could do with updating but for the price are good value, we did eat out in hersonnisos alot aswell, would definately recommend a night out in the "old village"of hersonnisos (5 or 6 mins in a taxi) where there are traditional greek restaurants around a small village square with greek nights and dancing on certain nights of the week, absolutely fantastic and i could honestly say one of the best nights ive had on any holiday in the greek islands, will definately go back again !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Villa marina is fantastic the bad reviews I have read are not true we have been going now for 14 years my daughter was 8 when we first went and she goes with her fiancé now who also loves it.my brother and his daughter my next door neighbour have also been coming for the past few years and love it.they are like family to us now they are lovely very friendly helpful and happy.marinas cooking is fantastic and she will cook anything for you tassos BBQ night is amazing the meats he cooks are beautifull.the studios are very nice and clean with a balcony and lovely views of the gardens which are very well maintained by tassos.the family work very hard from first thing in a morning till the last guests go to bed there is no set time for the bar closing.there is a lovely pool area so if it gets a bit too hot it is lovely to cool down in the pool.it is very sad when we leave 12 months is a long time before we see our family again we would live their if we could but we need to work a few more years yet.anyone going to villa marina you will love it and you will want to go back.see you All next year in August 2013

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Marina? Share your experiences!