“Just OK holiday that got off to a very bad start. Definitely not 4 star. 2* bordering on 3 at very best.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chrissi Amoudia Hotel

Save Saved
You added Chrissi Amoudia Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Chrissi Amoudia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Anissaras-Hersonissos, Hersonissos, Crete 70014, Greece   |
Ranked #77 of 175 hotels in Hersonissos
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

As mentioned in the title, we had an OK time at the Chrissi Amoudia, but unfortunately the holiday got off to a very bad start and it certainly is not 4 star. 2 to 3 possibly, but in my opinion it's a 2 and terrible value for the money.

We checked into the hotel on the 30th of July at 11am in the morning and were informed at the front desk that our room would not be available until 12.30. This was not an issue though as we were told that we could use the hotel facilities in the meantime whilst the room was prepared.

We then proceeded to the WC just off of the reception area to change our children into their swimming costumes in order for them to cool down in the pool. When we emerged again not even 10 minutes later I was called over to the desk by the receptionist. She had my details in her hand and asked me if it was correct that I was British. When I informed her that it was, she said that she had a room for us immediately, and the ported carted our bags off to what I can only describe as the worst room/bungalow that I have ever seen. I will add some photographs to this review to give you all a better idea of what we were presented with.
The room can be described with one word. DINGY! Not only was the room incredibly dirty, the furniture was very tired and bedding damp, dirty looking and washed out. I could not imagine having to spend any time in there at all. The worst of all though, was the bed that they wanted us to put our son into. The single bed was a camping bed with a rusty frame and broken chain base. The paint on the frame was flaking off where it hadn't already rusted. There is a picture of this and the filthy floor underneath the bed attached to this review.

The room had only one small window next to the front door that had bars over it, not unlike a jail cell. There was also no rear exit to the room which I imagine is a fire hazard, and no real patio to speak of other than a 2 meter by 2 meter area just outside of the entrance to the room which is situated on a walkway between the other bungalows. So not fantastic there either.
I find it strange indeed that having been told previously that our room would not be ready for an hour and a half after check-in, that 10 minutes later on discovery that we were British, they had this hollow all ready for us.

Needless to say, we immediately complained at the reception, and after some toing and froing, we were given the keys to another bungalow to see if we liked it better, although according to the receptionist that was on duty, they were all basically the same but if we liked it better we could move. Well, the second room was much better. Not only cleaner and slightly more modern, it was also larger and had rear patio doors that opened onto a reasonably sized seating area so this was already a huge improvement although still nowhere near approaching 4 star accommodation, but you could certainly spend some time there if your kids needed to take a nap. Acceptable, but nothing special.

With that over, we then proceeded to what is a reasonably nice pool area, that has only one small drawback in that it is a little bit too small for the amount of guests that the hotel holds when full. The pool is quite busy, but the water is just the right temperature and there is a separated shallow pool that is great for kids of a younger age that are unable to swim. The kids pool has 2 small slides which my 4 year old son enjoyed throughout the 10 days we spent there. So not too bad at all, but make sure you get up early for a sun lounger.

The food in the hotel is of a low to fair standard. The food is almost always well prepared, but when it comes to meat you will only see the cheapest cuts. You won't find a chicken breast in the buffet, but there were chicken wings almost daily, along with other cheap and bony cuts of chicken that are prepared as well as I suppose they can be. You won't find any beef either, but you beef liver was on the menu 2 or 3 times. So as I said, only the cheapest cuts of meat are on offer here. The salads however we very good, and the feta was some of the best I've ever tasted. The soup was also enjoyable. Fresh pizza and gyros is served at the pool area daily which was great. Especially the pizza which my daughter loved.

The all inclusive drinks are extremely watered down. The beer served is very weak, low alcohol, possibly 2% or so. The spirits are also very weak, very cheap and will leave you with a nasty hangover the next day should you dare drink them.

Where the kids are concerned, there is no real mini-club to speak of despite it being advertised as one of the hotels features. There is a small room just off of the pool area in which the kids can draw at a table. There was also some lego and a couple of other broken toys that they could play with if they were desperate enough, but in our case our kids begged now to go back after their second time there. It was more like a detetention room than anything else really. Nothing special was put on for the kids at all, so parents won't be getting a break from the kids during the day. It's very fortunate that the kids pool is so good, as otherwise we'd have had to entertain our kids constantly. Very poor indeed on this front, although our children did enjoy the mini disco in the evening.

The evening entertainment for adults was awful, I can't even think of the words to describe it but if you spend any time at all at this hotel I would recommend that you avoid it at all costs.
The staff at the hotel were all very friendly though, so I can't fault the hotel on this front. I would rate their friendliness as a 5 out of 5 so this somewhat helped us to enjoy our stay along with the decent but sometimes over-crowded pool.

During our stay we spent some time out of the hotel, driving around the island and also walking along to Heronisos, so all in all we did have a decent holiday but it certainly wasn't worth the money. Very poor value for money indeed and I definitely would not do it again. Nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid room 571!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Arad, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Myself and my family, we've been for the 1st time (and not for the last, for sure) in Crete, at Chrissi Amoudia hotel, for only 7 days - unfortunately - , and I have to say, we've been very pleased and satisfied. Very nice hotel, clean, friendly, fantastic garden,a lot of flowers and all green.The food was excellent, very good quality, a lot of salads , very, very tasty Greek and Cretan food - recommended !. The hotel has Cretan style, rooms are clean, friendly staff and service . The pool area is very "cool", also for children but for their parents, as well.
Highly recommended !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is not 4* hotel - should be 2*. I would not reccomend this hotel due to poor quality of food. Hotel is mainly set up for eastern europeans.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Malmö
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our family – of 2 grown ups and a 2-year old - have just come home from 14 days at Chrissi Amoudia and we have been extremely satisfied. The hotel, which is more than 20 years old, is extremely well-kept, clean, friendly, and cosy in every way. The food is of excellent quality and it is worth mentioning that none of the food is imported – everything is from Crete. It is well prepared and changes every day – with a wide selection of salads, meats and vegetables. The rooms are large and clean, the staff is very friendly and service minded and the poolarea is super. We really do not have anything to complain about - we have had a fantastic holiday and will highly recommend the Chrissi Amoudia hotel to others, and we would come back to Chrissi Amoudia if the trip goes back to crete.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I visited this hotel in the beginning of May, 2012. Hotel is very nice and staff is very helpful. Room was comfortable, spacious and clean. Food was really good. I have celiac disease, and cannot eat food with gluten. Restaurant stuff was very helpful explaining me which dishes I could eat and even preparing special meal for me!
Hotel is located on the hill, so there is a lot of sea view around. One of the disadvantages is that beach is not very close to the hotel. But if you don't find it difficult to walk ~400 meters or take hotel bus, there is no problem.
Also I would suggest to go to the beach closer to Hersonissos. You need to go east from hotel and not north. Even it takes more time to reach the beach (~15 min), but the beach in the east is much better. It is surrounded with white rocks and is very beautiful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Visiting hotel at the end of May, with 1 and 8 years old kids. Hotel is super with kids under 10 years, teens will be bored ( no big water slides and lots of babies ).
Hotel has a very Creece-romantic atmosphere, green garden area with miljon blossoms. Pool is big inaf, also kids pool and some water slides. Because hotel is located in the brae, the are lot of stairs between gardenhouses. Take time walking with babystroller :)
Rooms are aethetic, but cleaned and all is seawiew.

Hotel atmosphere was quiet, no russians, people from europe are nice.

But - biggest and the only minus is hotels beach. Nex to Russians hotel beach, very small, and not beatyful. About 10 minutes walk from hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Hotel is very nice, built on the hill so almost in every room there is seaview or limited seaview. Clean basic rooms with nice small balconies, food was also very good - we had 'all inclusive' package and main courses were different almost every day. It was even a pity a little cause some dishes were so good I could eat them every day. there is also a small pizza-restaurant and for lunch the second option is just ti take some pizza slices if don't want to go to main restaurant. Animation program evary day and every evening. The only disappointing thing was the beach- it was so windy, sharp waves and 'moving' bottom that there was almost impossible to enjoy swimming- could just to fight to survive ;(. bus and local smaal 'train' stop is right in fromt of hotel, so it was relly easy to go to Hersonissos, there are also free busses from hotel daily.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Chrissi Amoudia Hotel? Share your experiences!