We picked this place because of the reviews and we weren't disappointed. The location is good - mid way between the "strip" and the quieter villages of Koutoulafari / Piskopiano / Old Hersonissos.
The compact pool and communal area means you will get chatting to your fellow guests and I'm glad we did as this made for a friendlier less anonymous experience. (We really don't favour those "cruise ship" sized hotels with hundreds of rooms). The free barbecue night is a great idea and the complimentary shots certainly losened the toungues and got everyone chatting. After an evening on the coast or up in the village restaurants it was great to come back and have a night cap and a natter.
I read a few negative reviews with disbelief. Complaining about ants is like complaining about a barking dog or sunburn - Welcome to Greece ! - As with most subjective postings, if you disregard the best and worst 10 % you'll get a true reflection. Yes - the word basic crops up a lot but we didn't pay for luxury and we were slightly suprised with the accomodation in relation to other Greek islands we have stayed on. It's more to do with the hosts, the location and what friendships you can strike up with your fellow guests.
The only slight issue we had was that a spectagular thunder storm early one morning caused a lot of surface water, some of which made it into our room and one other. Maria was very quick to remedy the situation. (I must point out that this weather event was extreme and we were there early October ! 24 hours later in gorgeous sunshine, you wouldn't have known it had happened !)
The restaurants up in the villages are as good as people say and not so expensive. Check out Trip Advisor recommendations.
We'd like to thank all the holidaymakers we met during our 8 days - You each contributed in some small way to make this one of the best Greek hols we've had in years ! Thanks to -
Katie, Pete, Colin, Jude, Min, Louise, Hayden, Kurt, Andy, Paul, Sue, Rod, Kevin, Janet, Heather, Jen, Eleethea & hubby plus Pollyanna89 (just read your review). I must apologise to the friendly couple from Redcar in the room next door whose names escape me (due to Raki abuse !) Your cute sprog was so quiet we didn't even know she was there ! A very big YAMAS to Maria, Costas and Bill !!! See you next year ! - Roger & Chrissy
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halfway between the center of hersonisos, famous for the busy nightlife, and the traditional village of Koutouloufari is our property. It is placed in an ideal location that gives access to both directions and meanwhile it's peaceful with nice views to the mountain and the beach.The small amount of rooms(17 rooms) along with our commitment to our guest's pleasure makes this place ideal for people who like to meet people on their holidays and have the feeling of living in a small Greek community.Our pool area is set next to a pool bar that provides cold drinks and homemade food based on our local culture, using Cretan products and vegetables from our own garden. The hotel was built 28 years ago and it's been passed from the parents to the children to continue the traditional family business.Almost every week we cook complimentary food for our guests to join and share our Greek philosophy.All ages are welcome but our statistics say that couples often prefer staying with us ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Papadakis Villas Hotel Chersonisos
- Papadakis Hotel Hersonissos
- Papadakis Villas Crete, Greece