“Excellent hotel to relax and unwind” 4 of 5 stars

King Minos Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   L Hersonissou, Hersonissos, Crete 70014, Greece   |
Ranked #35 of 185 Hotels in Hersonissos
Armagh, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel to relax and unwind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The King Minos Palace, is located a short down hill walk from the main town centre, local bus services and "tourist train" are approx 200 m from hotel, a quiet sandy beach is reached via meandering footpath and road underpass. On arrival luggage was recovered from coach and taken to room, reception was bright and welcoming, staff were friendly and helpful. Our original room was located above the main bar entertainment area, after the first evening we requested a move which was completed without any drama. Breakfast and dinner menu provided an excellent selection , dinner buffet catered for all tastes with beef, pork, lamb, fish and vegeaterian options, fresh fruit and salads were of a high standard.The large pool and gardens created a relaxing atmosphere. The animation team, a very professional and friendly Serbian couple, added to the experience, with their games and activities, music quiz caused some guests to move which belied their shape.This would have been excellent but air conditioning was weak and beds were a bit hard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

As I've been to this hotel 11 times, the first in 1995 and the most recent from 16th to the 30th June 2013, I thought it was about time I wrote my own review. You, the reader, will guess I love it there, it is as if I am going home and I always feel very sad when my holiday comes to an end.
I have been a single traveller for the past ten years and have never felt uncomfortable at the KMP, the very opposite in fact. This was my 9th consecutive visit to the King Minos and I have made so many friends there, of many nationalities and when I return each year, it's like a massive reunion. Also, all the staff, from the hotel manager, Michael Kokalakis, his son Alexis, down to the maids, greet you with such enthusiasm and make you feel like one of the family.
Other reviews warn of the steps at the front of the hotel, however, when you arrive, either Nina or Maria, the two lovely girls on reception, immediately appear and tell you to leave your luggage at the bottom, then either Nicos or Nicos appears and lifts your luggage into the hotel for you. Then once you are booked in, they take you and your luggage to your room, again this is a great help to a single female traveller, whose case is always full up, you know what I mean girls!!
The rooms I have stayed in are very comfortable and if you have a problem, for instance with the plumbing, once reported to reception is dealt with very quickly. If you are a repeater and you have a favourite room as I do, email Alexis about a month before your holiday and he will do his best to accomodate you, I have never known any other hotel be as helpful.
The food is fantastic, I always come home heavier than when I went. Yanni, the maitre'd, looks after all the guests as does Stella, Athina, Nelly, Maria and others who are seconded to the restaurant when it's really busy. Other reviewers speak of favouritism being shown to certain people re seating in the restaurant, I have never ever seen any evidence of this and if eating on my own, have been seated at a table set for two or four without a problem. Nowadays, with the friends I have met at the King Minos and meet up with each year, rarely do I eat on my own.
The pool area, along with all other areas in the hotel, is kept immaculately clean and the pool is cleansed each day, again, I've never had a problem securing a sunbed but I am outside early and once there, rarely move any further than to see the lovely George to get a drink or some lunch. The evening entertainment takes place in this same bar and yet again, you are looked after wonderfully by Manolis, Dimitris (this year) and Athina. How they remember what everyone drinks year in year out I don't know, they all must have amazing memories.
What else can I add, this year the animation team were Lucky and Maria, a husband and wife team, who were very friendly and didn't push you to get involved in the games if you were happy doing what you were doing, which in my case was very little most days!! Rosie, the Thomson customer advisor for this year was a very helpful and pleasant young lady who enjoyed a little chat with her guests. There is a decent beach with facilities which can be reached through the hotel grounds and the resort of Hersonissos is about a 15 minute stroll away, with a mixture of decent shops, touristy shops and cafes, etc. Going down to the beach or the resort is fine but walking back up I find difficult, especially when it's hot. On the odd occassion I go into the resort, I get a taxi back to the hotel which costs about 7 euros, well worth it,
I've seen several people moaning about the cost of renting the room safe for the duration of your stay but please do, I would trust anyone at this hotel with my life but it's always best to be careful. You can also hire pool towels from the Maria's in the hotel shop at a cost of 10 euros each for the length of your stay and you get your money back when you return the towels. This means room for another couple of outfits in our suitcase girls, very welcomed!!
Loving this hotel and it's staff and my KMP friends so much I cannot understand why the odd bad review is added but as the saying goes "you can't please all the people all the time" but this hotel certainly pleases and delights me and as long as I am able too, I will continue to visit each year, twice if I have decent bingo win!!!

Room Tip: If you go to bed early, choose a sea view room, they will be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I found a beat of free time from my crazy day program i relaax at home thinking and missing the nice times of our holidays , but i ll write a few words for the hotel that made our holidays king minos friendly staff clean and very comfortable rooms especially the sea vews. breakfast amazing diner and what can i say about the snacks 20+
Weather perfect many happy people what about the island crete God was in a grate mood when He create it. .
Thanks for a wonderful time and a special thanks to the reception staff.
Alexis. Nina. Maria.

Room Tip: Let the reception to help you they know what they are doing.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chepstow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have just returned after spending a fortnight in this delightful friendly hotel in Crete. There are steps but no need to worry I was greeted as soon as I stepped off the coach by Nikos who then took my case, then on to my room. The reception staff Maria and Nina were a delight very organised and on call at all times and only too happy to help. My room was great it had a garden view and was kept spotless. The restaurant food was absolutely amazing the quality, taste, as well as the choice. My waitress 'Stella' was all I could have wished for as well as Maria, Nelly, far to many to mention. The restaurant is very well and politely coordinated by Maitre d'Hotel Yanni who greets you with a smile and make you feel as thou you are the most important guest they have ever had. Overall this is wonderful, friendly, caring hotel, whose staff make it their job to ensure you have a great time. I would like thank the animation team husband and wife Lucky and Marina they worked very hard to encourage folks to join in team games etc, but also had time to chat to you very nice genuine couple. I big thank you to Mr George and staff it was a delight to spend lunch times with you. My daily visits to the Hotel shop to chat to Maria and Soula was a joy thank you both. I would like to thank Hotel Manager Mr Michael Kokolakis and Front Manager Mr Alexis Kokolakis for making my stay at the King Minos Palace so memorable you both work so hard to make the hotel a great place to stay.

The hotel had mostly Europeans staying but everyone mixed well ( if you just make the effort just a smile or good morning ) I had the most wonderful time the fun and laughter trying to learn a few words in German was so memorable. Thank you all

If you get the chance please visit the LYCHNOSTATIS OPEN AIR MUSEUM it was one of the many highlights of my holiday it is a delightful place to visit and Maria in the shop is so knowledgeable and helpful

This was my first time to visit Crete and to spend time with the Createn people. I have come away with a deep impression that the Greek people are proud, hard working, kind and compassionate

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have just returned from this excellent hotel in Crete. We stayed a fortnight with two relations and found the welcome, staff and general ambience very organised and peaceful. Not a hotel for children, mainly middle aged and older. There are steps which are mentioned but ok for us, the staff took care of our luggage. The reception staff were on call at all times and only too happy to help. We found the buffet restaurant fantastic, the best we have ever had,the choice and quality great, at every meal. Our waitress 'Stella' was all we could have wished for! The pool area was beautiful and spotless, always plenty of padded sunbeds, there was a small round pool for children. The animation activity couple from Serbia were lots of fun and cared for everyone. Lastly I want to say a big thank you to ROSIE our Thompsons rep,she went out of her way to help me with a health problem, a truly proffessional young woman, who made everyone feel special, an asset to any company. I would reccommend this hotel to people who like some quiet times and appreciate what a beautiful island Crete is, we hired a car from 'Sixt' before we left, so we saw the exceptional scenery too.

Room Tip: We had a 'garden room' but although pleasant we would have prefered a sea view but always bo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I spent a week at this hotel with my sister and 82 year old mother. We arrived at 2.30am and were horrified to see many steps going up to reception. My mother has arthritis and it was a struggle for her. (Our error for not spotting this on booking) the gentleman on reception was waiting for us and showed us to our room. At that time of the morning nothing seems appealing. The next day the lift wasn't working which was catastrophic due to my mother's leg problem. However it was soon fixed and from then on everything got better. All the staff were very helpful and very polite. The pool area was very clean as was the rest of the hotel. There were always plenty of sun beds. The food at the snack bar by the pool was always good as we're the staff there. The evening shows which we're held there were always entertaining. My special thanks must go to the reception staff who made sure we had our room until 6pm. This was important to us as we weren't flying until 11.30.
I would definitely return to this hotel and have no hesitation in recommending it to others

Room Tip: A sea view is worth paying extra for
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We visited the king minos palace on the 21st may for 1 week. The hotel was very nice and clean although rooms basic and old fashioned, we had one with a pool view which we requested fine for what we used it for just to sleep and shower. Rooms cleaned every day but the beds weren't which was disappointing.
The food wasn't great the same thing each night soup salad fried fish pasta with tomato sauce. We noticed the left over food from the previous night wAs served up again a night later but made in to a pie, the kiwi jam they served in the morning was used in cakes at the evening time not acceptable for a 4* hotel!
Don't go to this hotel if you are a wheelchair user or have children as there are lots of steps to the hotel and down to the beach. As we have a 10 month old baby we found it difficult carrying the pram up and down stairs all day and not one member of staff offered to help. This hotel very much favour the Germans as we noticed they got priority over the best seats at meal times.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to King Minos Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!