“What a splendid hotel! What a marvelous vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mitsis Serita Beach Hotel

You added Mitsis Serita Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Mitsis Serita Beach Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Anissaras Hersonissos, Hersonissos, Crete 70014, Greece   |
Ranked #64 of 184 Hotels in Hersonissos
Tel Aviv, Israel
“What a splendid hotel! What a marvelous vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We just had a dreamy week at the Serita Beach hotel. I read the reviews which didn't recommend this hotel and I don't know what they were talking about! The hotel is nothing like the pictures in the web site, I agree, it's so much better!!!
I guess that some people are the kind that can never be satisfied, so what can you do about it expect from not taking their advice.

Rooms - we had a ground floor room at the "bungalows". greek styled, which turned out to be in a great location - right next to the "quiet" pool with the sea behind it, I'm telling you, every morning when I opened the window to look at this view, it was like paradise. Our room was spacious enough for our family (2 +2 kids aged 5,10). We received bath robes ,sleepers and beach towels, shampoo, conditioner, bath foam, soap, body lotion, shower cap, shoe shiner ans even cotton buds. The bath towels were replaced every day and the room was also cleaned upon daily basis.

The staff - very friendly and warm, we had such a "family" welcome when we arrived. They speak very good english and we had no language barriers. The girls in the mini club, Ewla, Sisi, Petra and Kate took care of all the kids with love and tender.

Animation - was very good: programs in the pool all day long but not disturbing, and every night there was a mini disco for kids (mine just loved it!) with song for children from all over the world. The animation for adults was great too - one night there was a professional - authentic greek dancers with live music, and on other nights there were programs like dance show (Lord of the Dance, A tribute to Michael Jackson) and some other humoristic shows like Mr. Serita beach and etc.

Food - OMG. Soooo delicious! Of course, some of the dishes were served each and erevry meal as well as new dishes every time. We had our lunch meals at the snack bar with delicious pizzas. We ate breakfast and dinner in the main restaurant sitting on the balcony outside - that itself made this holiday the best. the pool bar serves drinks, ice cream, popcorn, chips, sandwiches and other snacks all day long, which is just great for the kids (who allways get hungry right after we leave the table...). We are not used to drink alcohol or juice so what mattered to us was to have our coffee, cold water and some cocktails from time to time.
We rented a car and took some short trips around, we asked for lunch basket the evening before and we got 2 boxes with fruits, vegetables, sandwiches and cakes as well as 4 bottles of mineral water. Good idea!!

Pools - The pool area is wide enough - there is a pool for young kids with 3 little water slide, a pool fo older kids with 1 longer and higher water slide, the big pool which is deep and had water games going on in it and the "quiet" pool. There were plenty of sunbeds and sunshades so all of those "reserved" sunbeds were for nothing....

Beach - it is something like 10 feet from the pool, all you have to do is cross the road and you are there. the thing is that the hotels has 2 "beaches" : one is right next ti the snack bar and the other one is left unknown, it is next ti the eastern exit of the hotel, we discovered it on our 2nd day. the first one is rocky but you have a pier above the rocks so you can climb down the ladder at the edge and go right into the water (which are not deep at all!) with no rocks. the other beach is sandy . we spent every afternoon there.

This is our first time in Crete .Though we stayed at all inclusive clubs before in Turkey, such as Titanic, Voyage and the Royal Dragon, We all agreed the this hotel is as enjoyable as those clubs. Indeed, it's not luxurious but modest and simple , but when you have all that your heart desires, it really doesn't matter whether it's 3,4 or 5* hotels.
I truly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

We spent a week at the Serita beach with three children aged 7, 12 and 14. After I had specifically asked for rooms in the hotel, having read the reviews of the bungalows on tripadvisor, we got 2 interconnecting rooms in the hotel facing the sea which were exactly what we needed. The rooms were clean, basic but absolutely fine for what we needed.

The hotel is very kid friendly- the food is great for kids (they started the day with pancakes and chocolate sauce, continued through the day with ice creams and then pasta, pizza etc) but there is also very good food for adults. The pools are excellent, though indeed a bit slippery.

You get to use Canoes through the hotel for free but you have to pay for jet skis etc which are also very fun. The beach isn't sandy and is less appealing than the pool.

In my opinion it was great value for money. Of course it isn't a 5 star hotel as you would know it but we certainly didn't pay for a real 5 star hotel. My understanding is that there are different levels of rooms. Apparently the rooms on the 2 and 3 floors are much more upmarket and cost more whereas we were on the first floor which is more basic.

Bring with you towels for the pool and shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, as they aren't provided on the first floor!

All in all it was a fantastic weeks holiday

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Just returned from the Serita Beach hotel this weekend and I had a good time. I have never reviewed a hotel before, but as TripAdvisor was used so frequently by us when looking for a holiday for ourselves and our 2 and 4 year old, I felt the need to review.

We arrived in the early hours to be met by friendly staff who offered us something to eat before showing us to our room. Having travelled extensively and frequently to Greece I knew it would be highly unlikely we would be allocated one of those plush. gorgeous looking rooms that they display on their website. I was not disappointed. We were in room 154, a large size room with a seaview and what can only be described as basic. The accommodation was adequate, but a little tired if I am being honest. Some tarting up will be required in the close season I should think. Did I complain? I could have done, however I had no intention of spending the holiday in the room. It served our needs and we slept well, the maids visited every day and sitting on the balcony at night was tremendous.

The food was amazing. Plenty of choice, and if you're so inclined there was chips if you are not into sampling the Greek food. It was always hot, fresh and delicious, with puddings to die for. I imagine I ate my own bodyweight in Greek pastries over the course of the week. Bougatsa? Yum!!! The waitress service was arguably a bit tardy but the hotel was full and they work ever so hard. How they kept their temper with some of the less socially adept I don't know. It would have been far too tempting to have poured the Mythos over their heads rather than placing it with a smile, which they always did.

Facilities were great, though I don't play tennis, so, maybe they were not so good. The outdoors was meticulously clean, there were three pools, one in a quieter area by the bungalows and a big pool with additional children's pools in front of the hotel. The children's pools have slides whch were used to death by dad and lad who had a great time. The pools were saltwater, but not oppressively so. Yes, it is slippy, but I am not sure I have been round the edge of a pool that isn't. Take care.

Sunbeds are always a problem in high season aren't they? Timing is crucial. I know we like to blame it all on the Germans but the fact of the matter is that everybody was up with the lark, trying to bag a sunbed before breakfast. I woke at 6am and looked out over the children's pool to find sunbeds bagged. The solution seems to be that you either get up and bag a bed, or do something in the morning and bag a bed about 2pm when they begin to become available again.

There is a snack bar/taverna that serves lunch, and dinner by reservation. Have to say we preferred the restaurant because of the choice of food there. We ate in the taverna one night and it was lovely though. Great pizza, done to order if there is something in particular that you fancy.

The 'pool' bar is between the two larger pools and is run by Kostas. Now, I know some appear to be great fans; for me, I think he has started believing his own press. He ain't all that. I found the other hotel staff to be far more approachable and friendly. Snacks are obtainable from the pool bar, hotdogs, ice cream and such like, though the snacks are very samey. I think a little more effort needs to be put into providing more of a range of snacks.

I am not a great fan of animation and would prefer a bit of a peace to Shakira on loop. Their day off was Tuesday. It was bliss. However, if it does happen to be your bag there seemed to be plenty going on in English, French and German. The mini disco was at 9pm which was a bit late for our flagging kids who had been in the pool since 10am but it was enjoyed by our two, if not by us who steadily began to be less irritated by it after several blue lagoons...

The drinks were ok on all inclusive. We are not big drinkers and the service for us was great. The waiters appeciate the odd 'efharisto' and 'parakalo' or if they're not Greek (we were often served by a Russian waiter who looked after us really well. The smile and courtesy may have helped). Mineral water was not included in the all inclusive package and there is a mini market in the hotel where you can buy bottles of it. However, if you walk half a mile or so down the beach towards the shops you'll find water significantly cheaper.

This isn't a 'Brit' hotel. There were a range of nationalities, French, German, Russian, Israeli, etc. It made for a nice mix.

Overall, a great time was had. I have certainly stayed in worse Greek 5*.... whatever Greek 5* is...I have yet to figure that out, apart from it being not UK 5*. One annoyance, though not the hotel's fault but worth noting; if you book with MedHotels or Hotels4U, the rep leaves a lot to be desired. She starts off by telling you what she won't be dealing with, then hawking the overpriced trips and finally announcing herself to be available to book trips when she does her visits. Don't bother her with anything other than booking trips; I asked her to clarify about reconfirming our return flight and transfer as I was confused by how she explained it. She flung the folder at me, telling me the telephone number I needed was in it. Unfortunately when I came to reconfirm on the Thursday, the folder wasn't there. Cue several phone calls ending up in my ringing the airport direct. If she had have put helpful information up on the boards rather than just trip info it would have been more helpful. She has an unforuntate manner, that one.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We were admittedly in unrefurbised rooms, having requested refurbished rooms. The rooms were pretty clean but the bathrooms had rust and mould around the plugholes and grouting. There was rotting woodwork and very old fittings. Not 5*. We choose to move to bungalow rooms because the hotel corridors were long and noisy with kids running up and down early morning. The bungalow rooms were much quieter.

The food was ok, plenty of choice, but the restaurent had very few outside tables and the airconditioning was totally inadequate inside. There were queues to get in to dinner every night and morning and the wine was undrinkable. When we ate in the hotel, we smuggled our own wine in because even the wine you could pay extra for was poor.

The pools were grubby, never crystal clear and often left open for people to swim in when kids had had accidents in the water! The paving around the pool was so slippy it was a serious hazard.

We chose this over an Aquis hotel because it had tennis courts and watersports. The tennis courts were a joke, we'd have been better playing in the car park! The water sports were good but it was too choppy for waterskiing and the operator was at least 500m down the beach. When we saw the Aquis hotel we had turned down for Serita beach we felt fed up the other hotel was really what we would expect of a five star. Serita Beach in all honesty I would give a 2-3 star only.

The good thing about it was that we spent alot of time as far away from the hotel as possible so we did see alot of the island and sampled some great restaurants. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone- there are far better hotels on offer and probably cheaper.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

The hotel was quite expensive and we were there for 2 weeks. Family of 2 adults, 16,14,9 year old boys.
Postive comments
Good amount of pools - nice view
near the beach and some bars -Day animation good. Seats outside of bar area very nice
Staff friendly
Chocie of food and venue excellent
Qulaity of food - very good for an all inclusive
Beach sunbeds and canopy great. Taxi to town only 8 Euros
Negatives
Bedrooms and bathrooms very small. Concrete bed structure not comfortable - mattresses in a bad state.Bedroom doors like an interal door so very noisy at night
Free alcholic drinks poor
Animation evening - poor - inside hotel too bright in the evening.
Area around pool gets very wet and a lot of people fell over
The bedrooms and drinks are of 3* level yet the hotel costs is 5*. Would only recommend this hotel if price reflected the value - at least 30% less than the cost

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

myself and my family have just come back from the serita beach,yes the hotel is not a five star but its a good three star plus. we arrived in the small hours by taxi and once we had signed in and got our wristbands we were shown to our room. Having read the reviews, we didn't want a bungalow, so when we were shown to the bungalows we were disappointed. The room was not very good, bathroom in need of repair but we asked to be moved and the hotel staff couldn't be more helpful. We were offered another room the next day which was much nicer and we were very happy with this. We have stayed in plenty of 5star hotels and were very impressed with the friendly staff and the air conditioning in the room was the best we have ever had! Which was needed in 40 degrees heat!! Food was ok for one week, but would be too monotonous over two weeks(a few families stopping for 2 wks were eating out at night at nearby restaurants). Our daughter had her 6th birthday while we were there and the staff were very accommodating, even organising a birthday cake for her. Overall a very friendly and pleasant hotel, especially Kostas!!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My family and I arrived at the hotel late at night, regardless of the time the, staff were still very welcoming and pleasant. When we first pulled up to the hotel we were dazzled by the beautiful presentation and design. Once we walked into the entrance we were greeted by a member of staff who directed us to the front desk, there we were given wrist bands that allowed us to all of the inclusive extras in the hotel. Then we were taken to the restaurant unaware that the hotel has supplied us with a lovely feast, which was just the right thing after travelling. Once we had finished a member of staff took us to are room with our bag. We were situated in a 'bungalow' which was right outside of one of the three pools. The rooms were very well designed and clean, the tv had no english channels but because it is all inclusive you do not spend much time in your room anyway, apart from sleeping and clothe change. Whether it was luck or not, none of my family were the victim of a mosquito bite, but it might be handy to take some cream as a precaution. The beach is right next to the hotel, but i advise you buy some water shoes as there are a lot of rocks in the water. The food was lovely! You could not complain, although some of the reviews say it was repetitive, i disagree, the buffet was so big the only time it was repetitive is if you chose the same delicious food yourself. The animation team were great, my two daughters (aged 12 and 14 at the time) loved to get involved and throughout the whole holiday for them, there was never a dull moment, there are lots of activities for all ages (volleyball,bowls,water volleyball, there is a kids club for younger children and much much more) Overall i have no complaints for this hotel, i enjoyed it thoroughly and would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Mitsis Serita Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!