Recently returned to the UK after a 10 night stay at this beautiful resort. Myself and my two sons (9 and 6) travelled here from Birmingham airport on 13th August 2013. This is a MUST GO resort, I would definenlty recommend and even return.
HOTEL: This is a magnificent hotel, very grand... the pictures on the Creta Maris website does not give it justice. VERY VERY BIG. Hotel is split into three areas all adjacent to each other. The main building, Bungalows and the Terra building across the bridge. All are imactuently kept. We stayed in the main building where you are welcomed by a very grand but traditional reception area. The bungalow area which you walk though to get to the Terra building is very picturess with all its flowers and stone pavements- Beautiful. Across the bridge is the Terra building which is mainly occupied by Italians but you are also welcome to go over and eat in the restaurants and use the pools. I often went over this way as it was much quieter.
Room:I stayed in room 250 in the main building, this room overlooks the Spira pool, beach and the sea, however your view of the sea is slightly blocked due to the roof top of the Cosmos Restaurant. It was not a 5* room, it was 3* with a 4* bathroom, it was obvious the bathroom had been renovated within the last year or two. However the room was pleasant enough, TV with only the news channel in English, plenty of plug sockets, spacious wardrobe, dressing table and Chester drawers. The bathroom had a shower over the bath, drying line over the bath, hairdryer, massive mirror over the sink plus a makeup mirror for the ladies. Room was cleaned daily, fresh white towels were provided in the room and three blue towels for the beach which could be changed at the main building between 16:00-18:00hrs if necessary. This room also comes with a balcony which leads onto a communal balcony area, I loved this...cushions were also provided so you could sit out here. There was no iron, but you can request this at no extra charge.
Staff: I cannot praise the staff at this resort enough. They were all amazing, couldn't do enough to help. I was greeted on my first night by Vasilis, he was lovely and put a stamp on the rest of my holiday. Eleni and Katerina in the Cosmo restaurant always came over to say good morning, and speak to the boys they were vey attentive. George in the Alamyra restaurant was the same. The staff really do make this hotel what it is, day two I had a courtesy phone call to make sure I had settled in and I was happy with the service.
Grounds: The grounds are well kempt, it is an all green hotel so you will see patches with herbs, cats roaming the grounds. Beautiful flowers towards the bungalows and gardens over the main building. Never a complaint, never any litter or over flowing bins even the beach was kept clean
Pools, Beach and Coral: This hotel boasts that it has seven pools, I really liked this as after a few days you start to find your bearings and know which areas you feel more settled in. The main pool is noisy and very busy, they often have water games over here. I avoided this pool where possible. We spent a lot of time at the Spira pool and the mini waterland pool over at the Terra building. The mini waterland pool has two slides, be careful with your kids on these as there isn't a steady flow of water down the yellow one and my son got a nasty friction burn. All the pools are clean and located either next to a bar or within walking distance.
The beach is a private beach, again the pictures on the website don't give it justice it is a lot bigger than it looks, the water was lovely and clean, plenty of loungers. The coral area is over by the bungalows, go down here for some quite time and beautiful blue, clear waters. Its very rocky so be careful, Ive been told you can see plenty fish here if you snorkel.
The loungers are reserved first thing in the morning by the majority which is a pain however I never had trouble finding a lounger, if you go over to the Terra pools its usually empty anyway.
Food and Bars: We ate mainly in the Cosmos restaurant located in the main building, always plenty of tables even at peak times, allocated waitress would help you find a table if you had any difficulty. The food was well cooked but the meats in particular the chicken and pork often lacked seasoning and was dry. I wasn't thrilled with the breakfast it was the same every morning and I ended up buying the boys Kellogg's cereal from the local Spar. Nethertheless there was always fresh fruit- kiwis, peach, apples, grapes, melons.. so I never went hungry. It is a self serve buffet, but the food was always at the correct temperature, constantly replenished, salad galore, plenty of self serve juices and wines from the pump. Soup and freshly baked bread was also on offer every evening for those with a delicate taste- overall something for everyone. Staff were allocated to areas within the restaurant and always on hand to help. Almyra restaurant by the main pool was good for lunch and a late breakfast, they also served ice-cream from 1600hrs.
There were bars located by every pool, there was plenty of alcohol and slushies' to go around. these bars also served cake, pizza's and pastries
Ala carte restaurants: I managed to book Pithos and Limoncello restaurants both over at the Terra building. I preferred the food and service at Pithos. I left full to the brim, the waiters were very attentive and we were served from our tables. Drinks including alcohol was a constant flow, the food was beautiful and there was lots of it, was made to feel very welcome. I didn't get the same experience at Limoncello on the other hand, the food was average and the service was very poor.
You do have to get up at the crack of dawn to book these restaurants, a day in advance. if your not up by 0700hrs I wouldn't bother going down to reception. I was unable to book into Cochlias restaurant which was disappointing. Try and visit all three if you can.
Location: The hotel is located perfectly it looks as though you are isolated but you are not. If you take a left out of the main reception and keep walking you will come across plenty shops, at the cross roads its a left for the harbour (inc nightlife) and more shops. Carry straight on for Subway (sandwiches) Spar supermarket + Cashpoint and more shops. The Harbour is beautiful, stunning views and plenty of restaurants. There is also a McDonalds down here. We stopped off at the Chill Box, which is a self serve for frozen yogurt and ice-cream-definite must go. There is also an aquarium within walking distance www.aquaworld-crete.com cheap and very educating.
The hotel also has a small farm across the road, rearing hens, rabbits, donkeys and goats.
Kids club: The kids club is great, very modern, air conditioning is perfect. My boys loved it here. It is open from 1000-13:30 14:30-18:30 (I think). Equipped with computers, plenty of outdoor apparatus and lovely staff. Aggeliki is based here, she is very welcoming, speaks perfect English and has a way with the children. I was more than happy to leave my boys in her care.
Entertainment: I was disappointed with the entertainment this hotel offered particularly as it boasts as a 5* resort. The lack of entertainment is my reasoning for rating this hotel on Trip Advisor as 4star. There was a kids disco at the main building every night from 2100hrs, some nights included special acts. But nothing for the adults which was a shame, because after you had eaten dinner at 1900hsr there wasn't much going on. The hotel did have a cocktail party and a Greek show in the open air theatre whilst I was there but for a 10 night stay, that is very poor.
Wifi and Internet: There is FREE wifi throughout the resort although the connection is better in some areas than others. There was also four computers with internet access in the main building which you could use free of charge.
The hotel also has a mini shop, a jewellery boutique, games room and a spa. Overall I had an amazing holiday, I was well looked after felt completely safe (as a lone adult) my boys loved it and haven't stopped talking about it since our return. The resort is beautiful , the staff are amazing and I would 100% come back here!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel in general: Creta Maris Beach Resort in Crete, just 24 km from the Heraklion International Airport is close to the fishing village of Hersonissos, a long sweeping bay of sandy beach and crystal clear water. Creta Maris, a small village with quaint twisting paths, small piazzas filled with the scents and colors of a wide variety of trees and flowers, is a unique combination of Aegean Architecture, Cretan hospitality, green oriented environment, and high quality All Inclusive services. At Creta Maris, the choices for fun, entertainment, sport activities, but also relaxation, exercising and beauty are endless. Hotel location: Directions from Heraklion Airport to Creta Maris: From the exit of the airport follow the national road with direction to Agios Nikolaos. Go straight ahead for about 20km. Turn right in the exit to Kastelli and then turn left for Hersonissos. Go straight ahead for 2 km and turn right for Hersonissos village (old road). At the time you arrive in Hersonissos (after 2km) you will see at the left side a medical center. Turn left there and at the first crossroad turn left. Go straight ahead for about 500m and you will see Creta Maris in your right side. Directions from Heraklion Port to Creta Maris: From the exit of the port turn left in the traffic lights. After 500m turn right and go straight ahead. After 300m turn right to the national road with direction to Agios Nikolaos. Go straight ahead for about 20km. Turn right in the exit to Kastelli and then turn left for Hersonissos. Go straight ahead for 2 km and turn right for Hersonissos village (old road). At the time you arrive in Hersonissos you will see at the left side a medical center. Turn left there and at the first crossroad turn left. Go straight for about 500m and you will see Creta Maris in your right side.. Service at the hotel: Luxury Guest Services Crete Hotels - Creta Maris Hotel Crete At Creta Maris, the choices for every hour of the day are endless and cover every need. Besides the athletic and entertainment activities, the restaurants and bars, you also have at your disposal spacious lounges to relax, shops, blooming gardens for a little stroll, bridge corners, TV, hair salon, medical room, business center, Internet services, car rental, foreign exchange, theatre, church, and helipad. You can also enjoy relaxation and well-being at the Hammam Spa where the main object is to make you feel better than ever before. Gastronomy in the hotel: Restaurants In the 6 restaurants to be found on the premises of Creta Maris Beach Resort, traditional cuisine meets up with "guest cuisines" and offers wonderful gastronomical delights. Most ingredients are supplied by local producers. Sports, entertainment and pool in the hotel: Activities Creta Maris is a paradise for the active and for those who love sports. There is something for everyone. Swimming in the sea or at one of the swimming pools, tennis courts, football pitch, archery, mini golf, beach volley, water-sports, table tennis. The more daring can rent mountain bikes or have a game of golf at the Crete Golf Club, which will satisfy even the more discerning players. Hotel room/Accommodation: Many different room categories within the two main buildings, Maris & Terra buildings and the bungalows, can accommodate approximately 2000 clients. All rooms are equipped with all necessary comforts and offer either a garden or veranda. Creta Maris has 680 rooms including rooms with different view, suites, and bungalows. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com and Orbitz so you can book your Creta Maris Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Creta Maris Convention & Golf Hotel Chersonisos
- Creta Maris Convention And Golf Resort
- Creta Maris Convention Hotel
- Creta Maris Hotel
- Creta Maris Convention Hersonissos
- Hotel Creta Maris
- Creta Maris Beach Resort Crete, Greece