“Amazing Atlantica Sensatori hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sensatori Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hersonissos
Sensatori Resort
Save Saved
You added Sensatori Resort to your Saves list
Analipsi, Hersonissos, Crete 12345, Greece   |
Ranked #29 of 176 hotels in Hersonissos
kent
“Amazing Atlantica Sensatori hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

My husband, 11 year old son and I stayed at the Sensatori Caldera Beach hotel 4km outside Hersonissos town. We were recommended the resort by our friendly thomson rep and you know that soemtimes reps can exagerate a resort to sell it to you but she was spot on. The resort was everything she said it would be and more.
The hotel comprises of one main block with ground floor supermarket, jewellers, medical centre and spa (including hairdressers and gym) the 1st floor is the main restaurant and 2nd floor is reception and a la carte restaurant.
The accomodation ranges from rooms with balcony or terrace to those with swim up suites or own small pool.
The resort has a total of 5 restaurants on site and accomodation is on a full board plus basis.
Meals and choice of food is excellent and all diets are catered for.
Entertainment is varied and there are lots of seperate children and teenage acttivities even during the evening too keep the kids entertained. My son enjoyed the reebok football coaching and the outdoor cinema screenings.
Contrary to the earlier reports on this resort we tried hard to faul it but couldn't.
It would appear from speaking to the outstanding friendly staff (both hotel and thomson staff) on site that since opening the hotel atlantica (the owners) have worked hard to rectify any problems they had last year.
There is a choice of pools and even though the hotel is next to a road it isnt busy or noisy.
We would love to go again next year but will have to save those pennies....
feel free to contact me re further info as I do feel that some of these reviews dont reflect the experience we had as a family in July and August 2009

• Stayed August 2009

1,827 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
South West
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Hotel great but they've tried too squash too much onto the plot thus, in mid Aug it's very crowded & although our room location was great felt sorry for some you can easily be stuck in a shady corner, beside the road or local supermarket etc.

Building & food truely 5 star but I'm afraid the Thompson staff weren't up too much & much too crowded to feel anything other than a commodity.

Advice: Go out of peak time & make sure you get a room in the main area (as featured on the photos)

Elgin, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Having looked through the many reviews for Sensatori Crete I am amazed that nobody else has commented on anything related to the flight required to get there. For us it was absolutely the most shocking flying experience we have ever had.
We flew out of Manchester on a Friday at the beginning of July. It was a full flight and as people boarded we got a sense that a lot had spent most of the day either in the bar topping up on drink or discussing their matching outfits for "Malia 09."
Given that, from our experience, the only way to get to Sensatori from the UK was by purchasing a package deal with Thomson's and therefore having no options on airlines or flights we expected the company to ensure that this was a good experience.
Clearly from our outward bound flight they had not read the brochure tag line - "your holiday starts at the airport." My initial sensatori experience was of people screaming and swearing at each other up and down the cabin with no indication from the cabin crew to sit down, keep quiet, or watch their language. The cabin crew were too busy actually, selling three for two, on tins of cider and lager. Encouraged by the message from the cabin crew just after take off that they should purchase all the alcohol required for the flight at the first cabin service, the passengers were taking them at their word. The three people in the row in front of us purchased 12 cans of cider and this was echoed up and down the cabin. There was no recognition that there were children on the flight either by the passengers or the crew and by about two hours in the crew really had no control of the cabin. There was no way to access the toliets at the rear of the cabin as people were standing on seats, standing in the aisles, sitting on arm rests up and down the plane. An announcement was made that there would be no further bar service as they had sold out of cider and lager - this was deemed by the crew to be a success.
I pressed the crew call button at half past twelve and nobody responded. I pressed the button off and then pressed it again at ten to one and one of the crew came to see us. I had a child on my knee and indicated that the language use and the noise was unacceptable given that there were children on board and he had the audacity to say that it was the first he had heard of it. That was after asking me to repeat what I had said the first time because with the noise I simply couldn't be heard. The crew appeared to be avoiding any confrontation with the passengers and didn't ask anyone to get back to their seats although he did ask them to calm it a bit. I felt unsafe and appauled that I had put myself and my family in such a risky situation. Had it been a train, I would have changed carriage, a bus I would have got off, a bar or a restaurant I would have left. As it was we really had no option but to sit where we were in the middle of it all and be treated with the rest being offered "snacks to line our stomachs" by the cabin crew prior to landing. It was a truly appauling experience.

So to go back to the most commonly asked question- Would we go back to Sensatori? - Yes we would because the experience when we got there was second to none and our room 1216 a family suite was huge - two bedrooms, two bathrooms - just nothing to criticise. We were very near the childrens' park but never heard a sound, very near the Sports Hut where we had the best fun with a fabulous team of staff.

Our problem is how to get there - how to avoid a Thomson flight full of party goers with a totally different kind of holiday in mind and with no respect for fellow passengers with children.

Sensatori was an assault on my senses for all the wrong reasons.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We (myself and my teenage daughter) stayed at sensatori from at the beginning of August. The hotel itself is beautiful- they really have tried hard on appearances. The food was fine- we went to all of the restaurants and liked them all. The main buffet has good hot food, but if you are travelling as adults i really recommend havign breakfast at the red saffron which was much quieter and more relaxed without young children running about. The tex mex, red saffron and thai are all great: huge portions in the tex mex but overall the food was great. The stone grill and a la carte were fantastic- we especially liked the a la carte and the food there was absolutely delicious. The hotel give you 30 euros discount per adult on the bill which is great.
We had a swim up room which i would really recommend, In fact we spent the majority of the time on the balcony outside the bedroom hence negating the need to get up early to search for a sunbed. We stayed in block 8, but many people from block 9 were unhappy with their rooms since there is a lot of noise from the bar and supermarket opposite and the swimming pool is very small in comparison. The rooms are fantastic- comfortable and spacious.
My daugther who was very happy to relax having just done exams, did get very bored after a while. There is lots to do for kids up to about 12, but after that there is really nothing. It was a shame that there was not a disco or some more organised activities for her to meet people her age. A criticism of the acitivities is that they are there, but no one know when or where.
The biggest let down for us was the evening entertainment. The boardwalk, where the main show takes place, is not nearly large enough for the size of the resort and so people sit upstairs at the bar and watch or stand on the balcony in front of the a la carte which is very annoying for people eating there. We stayed for 14 nights and during that time there were repeats of 4 shows, 2 nights with nothing on and 2 nights with acts from the UK. The shows were not great at all and you have to arrive by about 9:30 if you want a seat. The acts from the UK were two string groups which were okay but their attempts at cracking jokes were dismal. The ABBA show was good but the others were awful. On one evening we found another show- the Jest End, which was basically mocking the west end shows and replacing some lyrics. It was fantastic but definitely just for adults! Overall we were very disappointed with the standard of entertainment considering the price of the resort- i have been on holidays far cheaper where the entertainment is substantially better.
The check in and out are good- however you get rid of your baggage in the early morning which is fine unless you have a late flight since you are left with nothing all day. The late checkout room is a waste of money. Stupidely i though we would stay in the same room, but instead we were moved to a different block , and wasted a lot of the day. It would have been better to just take the complimentary room for an hour to shower (and a lot cheaper too!) The thing that annoyed me most of all was that the reason for us being moved was because of other families already in the resort wanting to change their rooms. Could they not have waited for a few more hours?
Overall, we had a good time. However there were some really big letdowns and it was very overpriced for what it was. If you are booked to stay at sensatori you will have a good holiday so dont worry. I thought many reviews on here were very negative but it is not as awful as others make out. The negative reviews will stick with you but dont let them bother you. Yes i was disappointed with a few aspects, but i suppose the hotel cannot suit everyone. Have a nice time if you are planning to go but dont expect to get your moneys worth. Would i recommend it- probably...

Burton-on-Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Let's start with the facts.

Rooms - Unbelievable, massive beds - I'm 6' 6 and I had to order a taxi to see the wife! Top quality finishing, LCD TV's, jacuzzi bath, power shower, impressive gadget for the blokes that controls all the lights, A Con etc. BUT, lacks storage space

Food - 5 restaurants, main one very good warm food, lots of variety, friendly staff. Red Safron just an outdoor version of Main area, Tex Mex and 5 Flavours Thai are menu driven and nice. Stone Grill and A la Carte I didn't visit as food was more than adequate for my Michelin taste buds!!!!!

Pools - Our suite had its own private pool, which we used at night. 5 good pools, 2 for kids and 3 for adults only. No worries here - It does say this in the literature if people can be bothered to read it!!! Some are normal others are salt water which was nice. Sunbeds are very comfortable with good thick 'mattresses' on.

Entertainment - Kids facilities first class - no problems there. Evening was good, Chris and Paul did good acoustic warm up sessions at night then later in bar - if you go see if you agree with me that that should rebrand themselves as 'Thanks alot - Cheers'! Hotel has its own group who perform throughout the week and do well, although one lad made me laugh as he has obviously been to stage school and over exaggerates everything. They also fly in other acts from UK but don't know whether this is just a peak time thing or not?!

Service - Staff are very accomodating can't do enough for you!

Things to take into consideration

1. Do you want a hotel with a good location? If so this isn't for you! Beach is poor and area is very 'shabby' outside hotel. Field next to hotel has goat in which a women happens to milk everyday! Litter in roads.

2. Do you want someone to pamper to your every needs, mop your brow when a bead of sweat trickles down your face or call you your royal highness every time they see you? Look some people want the world, it is the best hotel I have been to and I've been to many so called 5 stars! Me I'm a working class lad whos done pretty well for himself and I'm down to earth. This hotel does the lot, sports are fantastic, kids facilities out of this world, food is good and they cater well with the segregation of adults/couples and families / kids.

Would I go again - yes!
Was it worth the money - yes!
Is it 5 star - yes!
Do you get treated like the King of England - no, why should you!
Is the location good - no BUT thats the only big negative I could find. We didn't need to go out of the hotel so no problems!!

Tips

1 Book a room with a sea view - If you don't you could end up with a room overlooking the road or shops, this may not concern you but the sea view ones are great!
2 When leaving, take your electric razors, MACH 3's etc, electric toothbrushes out of your case. We had to undo all of our cases and remove them along with almost everyone else.
3 Take some extra coat hangers
4 To get a sunbed I went down just before 8am and reserved 4 for the family and sat and read my book until 9am, when we all went for breakfast and returned 30mins later. If you don't stay with your bed between 8am and 9am the 'porters' will remove your towels.
5 If, like my boys, they wanted to do the Reebok soccer school - book in UK like me it saved me 80 Euros!
6 Go with the mentality that your going to enjoy it - forget the reviews on here, you'll love it.
7 If you want access to e-mail/web take your own device (laptop, iPhone etc) The internet cafe doesn't work but reception has free unsecured wireless access!
8 Lastly, if you enjoy wearing a top with a 6 foot logo of a polo player on and expect red carpet on your arrival (And by the way you get drinks and refreshments when you do arrive) go somewhere else! The people I meet here - brilliant, we acquired 5 life size toys for the pool and ended up giving 7 away when we left, thank you everyone!

You'll enjoy it - I promise, we had the best time ever!

Thanks alot - Cheers!!!!!!

Oxfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

After reading some reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to book this holiday as a special 50th birthday gift to my wife, the Thomson brochure classified it as a 5 star resort, we booked a suite with private pool, taxi transfers, airport lounge etc, the full 9 yards, however all was well until we arrived at the hotel, the room was dirty, cobwebs around the window in the bedroom, paint & walpaper hanging off the celings & walls, & the water in the private pool was green & lots of debris & could not be used. The hotel manager was called & he wrote a page of faults & instructed a "team" of maintenance staff to resolve the issues, after 2 days of work staff in & out of our room, we were moved to a better room, which was good.
The hotel brochure stated "suites with private pools, the mini bar would be stocked as standard" this we took to mean it was included, OH no it wasn't, we had a bill for 103 euros, for a few cans of 7up, (for the Southern Comfort) & Tonic (for the wifes gin), so all in all, we were dissapointed, we are waiting for Thomson's reply to our complaints, would I say this was a 5 star, definatley not, would I go again, maybe, would we recomend this to a freind, maybe not, but we would point out the issues we had

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Stayed at the Sensatori Resort in Crete in June for 7 nights. Travelling with my husband and two sons - aged 9 and 2.
ROOM: We stayed in a Family Room (didn't feel the need for anything larger as only staying for 7 nights). The room was very adequate consisting of a spacious bathroom with a seperate spa shower and large spa bath. The bedroom had a queen size bed, plenty of storage space for clothes and a small table and chair with tea/coffee making facilities. There was a screened partition into another part of the room which had 2 sofa beds, coffe table and a cotbed which we had pre-booked. We had a ground floor room which opened onto an enclosed patio area with table and chairs looking onto gardens at the back of the property - but I'm sure a pool-view could have been requested if we had wished.
POOLS: the pools are lovely with specific ones for adults and families. This was probably the first time we have not had to reserve our sunbeds in order to get one as there were plenty available - not sure if this would be the case in peak times.
RESTAURANTS: we ate in the Main restaurant which is a buffet (of which there was an exceptional amount of choice and of a high standard). We also tried the Greek Taverna, the Thai resturant and the Aroma Stone Grill (which was superb albeit quite pricey), but we eat out alot at home and have been to some top restaurants and I would say that the Aroma Stone Grill was quite comparable!
ENTERTAINMENT: superb!
KIDS CLUB: Can't really comment as we prefer to keep our kids with us rather than off-loading them in the local kids club but a lot of people were using the club so I'm sure that this was also of a good standard.

Overall we would definately return and would have a swim-up room next time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Sensatori Resort? Share your experiences!