“Good fish” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Melbourne, Australia
“Good fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I eat dinner here on my last night in Puri. The setting is Goan - esque with beach hut like shacks set within the resturant grounds. I like this casual dinning approach and with the palm trees located close by I really felt like I was in a 'tropical' land. The food was pretty good. I eat a whole king fish and my girl friend the prawn fried rice. My fish was tasty, but could have done with a side, maybe a better salad ( the one given was average and bland). The fired rice was very tasty. All in all I would recommend checking this place out, definately not the best meal you will have in your life, but worth a visit nontheless.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
New Delhi, India
“Our favourite hangout in Puri!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

ALl my friends would admit, Pink House or the Pink Shack turned as a favorite hangout in Puri. This is an excellent shack by the beach secluded from all nonsense, in the midst of white sands, excellent food, incredible service. I think we reached Pink Shack during dinner time and left the place during sunrise!!!! You have to visit Pink Shack if you happen to be in Puri unless you want your visit to be super boring!!! This place is excellent throughout and you have my word for it!

Visited December 2011
Meerut
“Rustic Rendezvous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Trip advisor rating for this hotel is No.3 recommended for International cuisine. So we deicded to try this out one evening.

After navigating through the crowded streets in Puri we alighted in front of not a very imposing or impressive hotel painted pink. Then we stepped inside. A step that practically pushed us backwards in space and time several decades.

Some sixty years ago when I was a boy of ten, I remember frequenting such an eating joint located in a village near my home. Memories of long forgotten scenes came flashing through like a slide show.
For my young family members of this generation this was a strange place. There were four or five small crudely thatched shelters under which a small wooden table and a few plastic chairs were laid out. Some of these shelters were occupied by locals and others by foreigners. They were eating under a dim fading electric light. I scanned the place for a larger hut where my family of five adults and two kids can sit but the two or three such cottages were all occupied.

A rustic waiter came forward to greet us. Behind him was a reception committee of several dogs with a couple of puppies and a cat with kitten . I expected to see mother hen and her brood to cluck in but it was 9.30 in the night and I presumed it was too late for her.

The waiter took us to a vacant shelter and we followed him along with the animals trailing us. He said food would take at least one hour to prepare. The prospect of waiting for dinner of questionable quality sitting in a questionable place till 10.30 was very depressing. Nevertheless we decided to remain and have our dinner there instead of walking out.

To pass the time we ordered for soft drinks and waited while the animals watched our every move. They were obviously waiting for our food as much as we were waiting for it. They were well behaved and kept their distance. My grand kids went wild with excitement trying to play with them while their parents frowned at this more or less uncivilized and let us say even hygienic eating place.They struggled to keep the kids under control.

I am no snob and the idea of dining in a primitive setting was not abhorrent to me .Rather it was a nostalgic trip back to my roots. On the other hand it was an unusual experience for the youngsters in my family and an unforgettable event for the kids, what with live playful animals to feed bones while you ate the meat.

We had ordered foot long King fish fry , fried crabs and golden fried prawns along with some rice and lentils. All these were recommended by the waiter.

In the days of yore the poor villager had no deep freezer or a refrigerator. They had to contend with whatever they could get fresh from the garden or the sea or pond or river. This food had a unique taste of its own, which many swear is the right taste. When the food arrived forty minutes later we did realize there was some truth in this belief. The foot long king fish and the golden prawns were superb but the crab was a letdown. They were tasty alright but too small to contain any flesh and the cats were the main beneficiaries of this dish.

Here are some tips for eating in such a hotel

Remember this hotel is unsuitable for
1. Anyone who looks for ambience of the modern kind. The only ambiance that you can expect is the open air with sand and mud filled floors, a lawn without grass and the sound of the waves lashing on the beach.
2. The hungry who want instant or reasonably fast service
3. People who abhor the idea of eating with dogs and cats fighting for the throwaways.
4. International cuisine ( Not tried but it is my opinion)
It is best suited for
1. Adventurous eaters
2. People who can put up with rustic surroundings
While ordering food make sure to ask for the size of prawns or size of crabs being served.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
“My favourite place in Puri”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This the 4th time I visited Pink house in 6 years, amazingly nothing has changed. The food is amazing and value for money. I recommend the chilli prawns with succulent large prawns sauteed in a nice spicy sauce, the Nasi Goreng, Tuna steak and Garlic chicken. Though they dont have a beer license, they would get it for you if you request it.The flies were bothersome this time round but that must be seasonal :-)

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cuttack, India
“Amazing Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The Chinese and the Sea Food preparation of the restaurant was excellent.
One must taste here to complete the visit of Puri.
I liked the open atmosphere of the restaurant.
Its a good family restaurant.

Visited April 2012