“Very good experience” 4 of 5 stars

M.G Road | District - Raigad, Matheran 410102, India   |
Ranked #7 of 19 hotels in Matheran
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was our first trip to Matheran and we planned it in the last hour. After looking at tripadvisor and making calls to first ten of the ranked hotels only to discover all of them were already booked :( Finally went for Byke and they did have accommodation in their "Luxury Deluxe A/C" room. I was little unsure about this resort as I saw it in Rank 14 and more to it, I read the negative feedback here on TripAdvisor like "Fungus on wall, food was pathetic and got good infection" etc. But I was desperate to visit Matheran and of course in the last hour I didn't see any other choice. Well so went for Byke and of course told my husband, it would be 50-50 kind off. Considering my adamant nature he okied it. It was for 3 nights and 4 days.

We went by local train to Neral and then took a taxi to Dasturi. From there took a horse ride to Byke resort. Here goes the experience.

TripAdv neg feedback Vs my Experience:
=================================

TripAdv Feedback: There was only one guy in reception trying to contact head office and manage things...
Fact: Fact is, there were three people in the reception and attended to us very well. Fourth one immediately walked to us with a glass of juice. My first doubt was cleared right there. Fifth one came and offered to carry our luggage to our rooms.

TripAdv Feedback: Rooms were not clean and had fungus on walls.
Fact: Our room was very clean and very spacious. Bathroom were spacious and geysers worked well to get hot water. There was TV, AC, Telephone. Welcome kit with Towels, Soap, Shampoo, Moisturizers. Bed, Sofa, Chest of Drawers, and a small attached room with Almera and lockers. Wooden hangers (antique I guess) to dry clothes.

TripAdv Feedback: Food was bad and some claimed about food infections.
Fact: We checked in at 12:15 PM. 12:30 was lunch time. I was really getting scared. I really risked it all. Still we went there. Food was pure veg. And Jain food is also available. Lunch was on North Indian Thali system in the dinning hall. Whereas breakfast and dinner were on open garden as buffet system. Believe me lunch was very tasty. It had two sweets, unlimited rotis, three gravied side dishes, one vegetable curry, dhal fry, curd, butter milk, papad, samoza/some gujrathi snacks, steamed rice, salads. I might have missed one or two. My husband who is food critic, gave his feedback after lunch that food is real good there. Now about food infections, we all are back hale and healthy. This feedback goes for breakfast and dinner too. It was just great.

TripAdv Feedback: Entertainment and fun games were there.
Fact: Yes I agree. Mornings they have pool side activities pre lunch time. We were not particular about water activities as we had a toddler. So we didn't get into it. But pools were clean and crystal clear water. I did see many plunging into it and having fun. Besides they had some activities for children ( like we see in amusement parks). Besides carom board, Pool, and kits for tennis, badminton are available.

Besides at 6 PM they do their Tambola/Housie game every day. I got to win on one of the three days we stayed. And at 7 to 10:30 they have variety games and entertainment:

Day 1: Tambola, Magic Show, Karoke (Melodious old hindi songs)
Day 2: Tambola, Puppet show, Couple and Children party games, Karoke(Melodious old hindi songs)
Day 3: Tambola, Couple and Children party games, Karoke(Melodious old hindi songs)

I got win in one of the party games. Hence back home with two prizes :)

At 10 PM parallely to Karoka, starts the Disco as well inside the Disco room. We didn't go for it anyways. Rather chose to retire into the room.

And more to it, the third day, we were delivered a "CHIKKI gift pack" to our room. It had 12 varieties of chikki, with 3 pieces in each variety wrapped in a rectangular box. Chikkis tasted good.

TripAdv Feedback: Huge area and average maintenance:
Fact : Huge area is right. As far as maintenance is concered, it is very good for the areas where people predominantly use. Like rooms, garden area, pool side etc. Those extra lands which were on the border and exteriors where people hardly go into were left uncared for. But this doesn't bring down the quality of experience in the resort.

TripAdv Feedback: Monkeys and stray dogs were nuisance
Fact : Matheran means monkeys. This one has to understand when you visit that place. Monkeys were seen during day time but during the night they never turned up. But they have placed a security just to watch and turn away monkeys on the pool side/buffet area. You can't stop monkeys in Matheran, unless you have chosen a badly confined place to your stay. But atleast I can say this aspect was taken care of and they give you enough warning about it. Strays I did spot one running around on my third day. But next day I didn't notice it.

Overall Byke has been a good experience and it is worth the money you are paying. I had never been to any other resort in Matheran so far and hence cannot compare. But atleast I had a good experience for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Nice hotel with good staff who offered an excellent service. Rooms were well equiped; lovely bathroom with all the basic facilities and clean; maintained very good hygiene across the hotel. Food at lunch and dinner was tasty and the spread was good, breakfast spread could have been better though.
Overall an excellent hotel, had a pleasant stay, no regrets. Just to make a mention it is away from the market area but that makes the place more peaceful in already peaceful Matheran.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Vapi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The Resort is too good... Full on Entertainment Activities by the Management... And for those who are seeking for the Peace of Mind, Complete Relaxation, This is the Place... And the best part is there is no Mobile Network Coverage and that means no Mental Stress, Complete Peace of Mind... All the Amenities of Resort are Just Excellent i.e. (Entertainment Activities, Games & Sports, Massage Parlour, Food, Rooms, etc.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Ive been to this place with my office. Its a large property and really nice place to be in matheran. Food was all vegetarian, but the rice had lots of soda in it. Not satisfied with food.

Other than that it was a pleasant stay in this place and its a nice place to try.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Had been here 10 yrs back when it used ti be the best hotel in matheran. But now i must say the hotel is in a terrible state. The washrooms are pathetic (worser than even the public shouchalays). Rooms stink and ACs dont work at all .Paid 18000 for 2 nights expecting the luxury it offered in the past but must say its worst than even the cheap rooms available anywhere in matheran. A complete waste of money and my advice to all would be to much rather stay on the footpath in matheran rather than staying over there.

• Stayed August 2012
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

my joint family of 13 visited the hotel and stayed in their villa.The duplex arrangement was loved by the kids as they could see and talk to those on ground floor through a sliding glass.breakfast has a good variety of western and south indian.the garden is huge and swimming pool very good.night programmes of music etc are very good for entire family.large families should opt for the villas to enjoy their holiday throughly.

Room Tip: the villas of course for larger groups