“Cat Lady” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Anchor Motel and Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Geneva on the Lake
Anchor Motel and Cottages
Save Saved
You added Anchor Motel and Cottages to your Saves list
5196 Lake Road (State Route 531), Geneva on the Lake, OH 44041   |
Girard, Ohio
“Cat Lady”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am the lady who took my 12 yr. old kitty to the "pet friendly" motel. I will admit that I was wrong to tell the manager that I have my kitty in the "suite" after the fact. We were in the room for 30 minutes...at which time the owner came to the room and told me to remove my kitty immediately. I did so within 15 seconds.
This is the beginning of the story.
I was charger 150.00 for the day + $20.oo cleaning fee. ( The 150.00 was returned when they re-rented the room.)
The room was cleaned to their standards...which did not include checking the fridge or freezer because I left a 46.00 bottle of Patron in the freezer.
I called and the wife said she would hold my tequila until I returned. She was very pleasant....however now the story gets weird.
I returned 5 days later and that is when all hell broke loose. The husband (owner) met me with vengeance...He was upset about a nasty review on trip advisor. He screamed at me, threatened me and my friend with a law suite for slander, and told me to never return to his motel.
At that time he slammed my Patron on his contact paper covered counter so hard...I thought he broke the bottle.
He also called my cancer recovering husband a slanderous name. I really don't know why, except maybe he expected my husband to get in his face???? He also called me a liar....
Thank goodness I had my cell phone in my bra and recorded the entire event.
Stay at his motel...just don't get him mad.
Be advised that I could have kept the kitty in the room...but chose to be honest. The manager set me up...twice. She had me removed and had the owner yell at me 5 days later...Thanks.
The "suite smelled musty and old. That is why I opened the windows so my kitty wouldn't get ill.
They were concerned with allergy cat dander. I recently retired from the school system after 35 years and I can tell you that a peanut butter cup is more likely to get a reaction that a cat.

Marcia Pellegrene

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed down in the strip many many times for many years at many different places. We will not ever stay anywhere else now that we have stayed at Anchor. Mellissa checked us in with a smile and a great attitude. She was there everyday we stayed, always working hard and cleaning. The hard work showed, our room was spotless!!! The room we reserved at last minute was a little small but when we go to the strip we don't plan in being in our rooms for much more then sleeping, so it was perfect for us. The owners are very friendly and inviting. We really felt welcome. We were talking about coming back with a group of our friends later this year and we were taken around and shown some of their recently completely renovated absolutely beautiful cottages. I was just so impressed by the hospitality and their willingness to go above and beyond. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2014
Washington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our first visit to GOTL. At the recommendation of friends, we booked a cottage at the Anchor (We planned to eat in a couple of meals, but that did not happen LOL!). As soon as we checked in, we were made to feel welcome (by staff and by Cooper, the dog, who rocks!). The cottage, while small, was clean, recently updated, and comfortable....all that we needed. The owners and staff are both very pleasant, friendly, and gracious, and make you feel like they are glad you are there, and that a great guest experience is their top priority. They nailed it with us! We had a great time, the location of Anchor was perfect as it is close to the park and the strip, and our cottage was very peaceful and quiet. We can't wait to return! Bring towels...and if you are expecting luxury, this is not for you, but for a CLEAN, friendly, and comfortable place to stay, you can't go wrong! Also, if you have a complaint or need something, ASK the owners! They will do all they can to make your stay pleasant. ~Kathy and Scott, Washington, PA

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Finding a decent place to stay at geneva on the lake can be a challenge. The Anchor is clean and friendly and a good place to stay.
Keep in mind that geneva is an old town so this is not the Ritz Carleton. It is however however a clean place to stay with a friendly staff.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

First time visiting Geneva-on-the-Lake so we were looking for a nice place to stay the weekend before the July 4th weekend. Rates seemed reasonable based on location, and the website images of the rooms looked OK. Once there, the room appeared to be recently renovated and clean, but it was very small. Manager told us there would be no daily housekeeping, only towels upon request. The walls were very thin, and the noise from adjoining rooms was intrusive, as was the very noisy building plumbing that woke us up numerous times throughout both nights. The "A/C unit" was only marginally effective at keeping the room comfortable on 90 degree days and humid nights. Notably, the only window did not have a curtain, only mini-blinds, and the morning light shone right into our eyes regardless of how tightly closed they were. I asked the manager why no curtains, and she said that the Fire Marshall wouldn't allow them for some reason; REALLY!!?? We felt this room was WAY overpriced for content and lack of any real amenities or services.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Salem, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I'm looking at these reviews wondering if this is the same place we stayed in. It sure is, but man we did not find this place as nice as most are saying. The owners, or staff or whomever it was staying there was no where to be found most of the time. Checked us in and that was it. So we didn't have that experience. The room was old and dated, the pictures with the panelling are really what they look like. That wasn't so bad, but the SMELL was horrible. It was like 5 litter boxes had been kept in there at all times. The bathroom left alot to be desired, don't touch the walls of the shower stall if you can help it. We were there for our 1st anniversary. Memorable to say the least, and not for a good reason. We would not consider this place again if it was the last place to stay!! We were there a few yrs. ago, sorry for the false date posted with Tripadvisor, they don't allow for before 2013.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Good place to stay for the holiday, always in walking distance to everything!! No big name restaurants but good food never the less. Good for kids also. If you want a good place to stay, and a good price, in a good place and clean this is the place to be!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Anchor Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!