“Welcoming, Clean, and Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anchor Motel and Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Geneva on the Lake
Anchor Motel and Cottages
You added Anchor Motel and Cottages to your Saves list
5196 Lake Road (State Route 531), Geneva on the Lake, OH 44041   |
Brunswick, Ohio
“Welcoming, Clean, and Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Anchor was the perfect motel to book for our trip! My boyfriend and I are in our early 20s and wanted to spend the weekend out on the strip, and the Anchor was literally only a minute walk from the start of the bars. It is perfect walking distance while still being just removed enough for a quiet night's sleep. There's also a small convenience store right across the street. We didn't drive all weekend. The interior was cute and cabin-like with wooden walls, the bed was gigantic, and best of all- everything was very clean. There is no maid service during the stay, but as an adult I can take care of myself, so it wasn't a problem.

Also, the woman who owns the place was SO friendly and welcoming. I was called on my way out there so they could make sure I knew the way, she answered all questions I went to her with over the weekend about local attractions, and best of all, since we checked out on a Sunday, she let us stay as late as we needed since she didn't have any other guests coming in. We were able to enjoy the day out without having to pack up until 5. I would absolutely book it again, very happy with my stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Monongahela, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Our disappointment in The Anchor Motel and Cottages is still talked about, My husband and I were hoping for a clean, comfortable place to relax. Good thing I keep the folding canvas chairs in the car. We have been going to Geneva on the Lake for years and always stayed at the Comfort Inn in Austinburg which was very nice at one time. It has been going down hill since the corporation sold it to a private owner, we decided to stay at The Anchor. When we called to see what was available, the motel rooms were, but no cottages. We read reviews and they were all positive so we booked it. HUGE MISTAKE!!!! The room was something from the 1950's. We wanted to stay the night and since the room was $110.00 a night with no refunds we were stuck. The double bed was ancient and the bathroom was smaller than any of our closets. The worst part was there was no maid service what so ever. When we left for the day, we returned to a unmade bed and wet towels. We aren't young, but we aren't dead, so when a group of people in the room next door decided to party till three a.m. we understood. But cranking up the Harleys at 4:00 a.m. was tough to swallow. We stayed the next night since we paid for 3 nights. We dropped our keys off in the morning and took the $110.00 loss which in very poor business practice, the owner did not return, we would have liked to have had half back, DO NOT STAY HERE. (One roll of toilet paper for a 3 day stay)

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My 3 young professional girl friends and I decided to spend the last three nights of summer out of the city at Geneva on the Lake for some good old redneck fun!!! And that is exactly what we got. :) I'm not a big camper...when it isn't 5 stars with room service it's as close to camping I get. We loved every second of this place. It's super cheap, pretty clean, and party friendly. If I had children I wouldn't being them here. But I'm sure many people would. We stayed in the motel. The key word being MOTEL. Which means no maid service and no luxury. The air conditioner worked and it was clean (although we prepared ourselves and brought our own bedding...yup I've seen the under- cover hotel news stories on tv.) Considering we were a total of 4 girls we flew through towels and TP...the staff was very accommodating and made sure to keep us loaded up. We liked this place. It was perfect for us.We were there is act foolish, drink, drink, drink and enjoy each other away from our men. If the lodge is full again next time I'm sure we will be back. We loved the rustic feeling!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Medina, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed in a cottage at the anchor motel with our 3 children on a Saturday evening while in town for a wedding. We book the room only 3 days before the event. The staff member during at time of booking and at check-in was pleasant. The grounds were nice well maintained, but most the good things ended when we walked in the door of out 2 bedroom cottage. The 2 bedrooms were small, with no room to put a pack n play. The baby had to sleep in the living area. The sign out from states that rooms are clean. The beds and linens were clean, but that was about it. We found food remnants in the strainer for the sink (see photo) and hairs on the floor of shower. Even if we decided to take a shower with the hairs, we would have had no way to dry off. There were no towels of any kind anywhere in the cottage, not even dish towels in the kitchen. The soap that was provided in the bathroom was watered down so much, I don't know if it served and hygienic purpose. I am sure that there is some sort of fire code violation with the absence of the fire alarm in bedroom 2 and the empty fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

The place was a somewhere to stay the night, yes. Was it an enjoyable stay? If it wasn't for the wine consumed at the local winery during wedding reception, No.

If we are going to staying in the area again, we would not consider staying at the Anchor Motel.

Summary - The good:
People
Clean Beds

The bad:
Most everything else.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

My wife and I recently wanted to go up to Lake Erie (hoped to do a little fishing but the weather killed that idea) and decided to visit Geneva On the Lake for a few days. We arranged for a room at the Anchor Motel and Cottages after having a short phone conversation with the owner. We arrived in Geneva On the Lake to find a resort village from out of the 1950's or 60's and the Anchor was no exception. We were greeted on arrival by the owner operator who I soon began referring to as our innkeeper and local advisor on what was good in town. The room was small and showing its age (but with few exceptions everything in town was showing its age and turned out to be part of the charm of the village). It was well maintained and clean and the setting was fun. There was a large common area out under the trees (with chairs, picnic table and campfire ring) which meant we spent very little time in the room, so the smaller size of the older room was not an issue. Throughout our stay our innkeeper was checking with us to assure everything was going well. In hindsight if and when we return we will most likely book one of the cottages for the extra space and the kitchen. Eating every meal out managed to put a few pounds on an already over ample waist but more later on the Lakeview Restaurant, what became our favorite in town.

Room Tip: Call and talk with owner about reservations and fishing options (he also owns the local baitstore)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We booked one of the cottages at the Anchor for 3 nights and were very pleased. Don't expect luxury - this is definitely a no frills establishment. But if you are looking for someplace quiet and convenient in Geneva on the Lake, this is a good bet. The cottage was clean and pretty well outfitted (bring towels!) The yard/garden is very nice - would be great for kids to run around in. You can borrow a grill from the owner and ther are picnic tables and a gazebo as well as a patio in front of each cottage.

Cons - for us, internet access is really important and the connection at this location (wireless) is not good. The furniture is a bit worn down and a few added touches could make this a more amenable home away from home.

But, overall, we enjoyed our stay - the owners were really nice and helpful. I marked this as "average" only because there isn't a "good" category - I would definitely not have any reservations about recommending the property.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011 via mobile

Buyer beware. This motel requires a 72 hour cancellation prior to check in. I say this because there is no statement to this fact on their web site and they have no way to give you anything via email, or any other way for that matter. When we notified them that we would be staying one night instead of two, 36 hours prior to check in, the owner then notified us of the policy & threatened to charge us both nights. We told him we were not told of said policy and he immediately got aggressive, told us we were attacking his integrity and that we need to watch our step. He was very threatening then just walked away.

Never, never, never give this guy your money. He is mean and the rooms are not something you can't find somewhere else, and you won't have to be concerned about someone threatening you.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Anchor Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!