“Relaxing, beautiful, a small paradise in Ohio” 5 of 5 stars

4888 North Broadway (SR 534), Geneva on the Lake, OH 44041   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Relaxing, beautiful, a small paradise in Ohio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

We arrived on Friday May 18, 2007. It was a nice drive from the west side of Cleveland (about 60 minutes). The resort looked brand new and it was huge. The hotel staff on the first night was extra specal. The manager gave us info on local wineries and talked to us in the cute gift shop about different wines. There was a girl in the lobby that showed us more brochures and was also very nice. We enjoyed a complimentary wine tasting that night and we noticed they must have them every night between 6:30 and 7:30. We ventured a small distance past the resort to find a quaint little restaurant named Lakefront Restaurant. My husband ans I joked like do you really want to try this place as it was a dive looking restaurant. Let me just say the food was first class. It was excellent and the service was superb. Back to the Lodge, we had the pleasure of staying in one of the whirpool suites and the room and whirpool was immaculately clean. I am comparing this to when we stayed at the Hilton in a whirpool room and I could see the grunge in the tub. I take scrubbing bubbles with us to clean the whirpool and when I sprayed the tub down at Geneva, there was literally no dirt. I was impressed. The second day we were there, houskeeping hooked us up with an overabundance of towels and wrote us a cute note on the notepad by the phone. I did leave her a tip and a note as well prior to her doing the cleaning. We visited Ferrante Wnery where we did a wine tasting and it was beautiful. I highly recommend it out of all of the wineries we past by. Primarily because Ferrante actually has 100 acres and a lot of vines. They have tours and a very nice gift shop/restaurant. We had dinner and breakfast at Horizons at The Lodge and the food was top notch. The service each time was impressive. I must say that I heard some weird negative things about "the locals" and I was a little worried when we were driving through. I didn't know how my husband and I would be perceived. We are a bi-racal couple. Luckily, I didn't feel uncomfortable once and as a matter of fact people were overly friendly!! Some other things to note: our room had 2 soaps, shower cap, shampoo and conditoner-all bath and body works coconut lime verbena. I always take note of the brands of that type of stuff. I think it makes a difference. The pool and hot tub was open 8am-11pm and was super clean as well. The lobby and fireplace were great photo ops. We had a fabulous time. I was pleased overall with everything. The only thing that was a negative was I booked my reservation with a credit card and they charged my account for the first night. I anticipated paying the second night with cash upon checkout. I realized our second night when my credit card was declined at the restaurant that they put a rather large hold on my card for "incedentals". I then saw a sign at the front desk that made mention of the hold of funds. I called after we checked out and asked if that could be removed. They advised to call back on Monday and someone in the accounting department could call my bank and and get it removed quicker than the usual 2-3 business days. I was ok with that answer. Overall a fabulous experience I would highly recommend to couples for a romantic, relaxing weekend getaway.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The hold of funds on the credit card.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

This place is awesome! We have been staying here a couple of times of year every year since they opened. We stay for the hot air ballon festival every year located in that area in June. There are wineries, fun and restaurants within walking distance! This place is clean, modern, they give you bath and body works products, awesome pool area and dining areas which are in gazebo-shaped rooms. You must try their Sunday brunch - reasonable and wonderful! Lake views from some rooms, patios or balconies for some. They even do weddings there on the property, lakefront! We love it here!!

Stayed June 2006
mentor, ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

We stayed in room 134 last night, 12/29/06. This was our first experience at this lodge. We had the worst night. The problem were the beds. They were BRUTAL. My husband and I can barely walk today. We tried both beds and they were horrific. Neither of us slept, not only was it unbelievably uncomfortable but every time you move you hear metal coils popping. I sat up in a chair for much of the night. We would have driven home but we have 2 young children with us and had to visit my mother in Geneva Memorial hospital in the morning. I almost slept in my car. This is really terrible. They really need to do something about these beds. We were really looking forward to booking a stay in the summer but now I would never trust that the other beds are any better. Since we got home early this afternoon, I slept for 3 hours and got up so my husband could get some sleep all because of the lack of sleep last night. We're both hobbling around the house. Please replace those beds.

• Disliked — the beds, cold swimming pool
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gurnee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

My wife and our twin boys (aged 11) highly enjoyed our stay at the Lodge. The other rental properties are quite run down and musty and I wanted to go high end for our week vacation.
Originally from the Geneva area and now residing in the Chicago area it was a fun trip back through time and my family absolutely loved it. Renting bicycles at the hotel was a treat for the family as were the nearby wineries and Eddies Grill, a haunt of mine 25 years ago. Nearby Grand River was also a treat for the kids as they spent an entire day exploring and playing in the shallows below the dam at the covered bridge in Harpersfield, all at no cost!!!
The hotel itself is pleasant, comfortable, clean and the staff is friendly and quite helpful. The restaurant was exceptional with great food and overlooking the lake.
Will definitely return next year!

• Liked — Quiet with no 3 a.m. screaming or "post bar" noise.
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Check-in is a 4 p.m. so beware of early arrival, you may have to wait.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!