“Relaxing views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Geneva on the Lake
The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ohio
“Relaxing views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We've stayed here before, so this was a return visit for us. We love that it is close to the Wineries. Not alot to do but relax by the pool or lake or visit the Geneva "boardwalk". A hot dog at Eddies is a must! The room we get is lovely, complete with a jaccuzzi in the room and great views of the pool and lake. A lovely little private patio with some rooms as well. The Lodge has a great Lobby with wonderful stone fireplace. Two pools (indoors and out) nice workout room with lake views. There is a little game room and a coffee shop with courtesy coffee in the mornings. There are pasteries and fruit for sale there as well. The gift shop has great hours and nice if you need anything from candy to a bottle of local wine. I see this year that you have to pay to rent a bike for the miles of bike/walking trails. They were always free for Lodge guests. If you're looking to be pampered, you won't find it here. The employees are pleasant, but won't go out of their way to make you feel special. It's a shame, because I want this to be a better customer service oriented hotel. The hotel restaurant.......skip it. I've tried eating there three times and will not give them another chance. The staff is undertrained and the food is not worthy of the prices. I don't mind paying for quality food, but this isn't close. Our dinner was a train wreck. The waitress fumbled and was unprofessional. They give you very few extras here. If you want a fridge or microwave you have to pay 10 bucks each a night! We bring a cooler and get by with that for a few days. I will try to return for it's location and relaxation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Irwin, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Stayed here 2 nites July 7 - 9. Had a King room on the 4th floor -- no balcony but view of the lake. Room was clean, bathroom was very clean. Carpet, drapes, and bedspread were a bit dated but room was clean and comfortable. Hotel pool was nice -- we used outdoor pool but they have an indoor pool as well. Beautiful lobby and restaurant called Horizons. We did not eat at but heard it was very good. It sits right on the lake with nice paved bicycle path that you can walk. Very large grounds to walk on. Bicycles are available to rent. Within walking distance of town.

Checkin was quick and easy. Hotel staff was friendly.

We visited for the wineries in the area. Had a great time wine tasting and buying wine to bring home. Ate at Ferrante's Winery -- highly recommended. Also stopped at all local wineries in the area all within 10 miles of the Lodge. South River Vineyard very nice -- it is a church turned into a winery and there wine was my favorite.

Eating: Highly recommend walking to Mary's Kitchen for breakfast. Located about 6/10 of a mile - there is parking if you prefer to drive. Off a side street -- quaint old white house. Wonderful home cooked breakfast served on Fiesta dishes. Also ate dinner at the Old Firehouse Winery -- mostly outdoor dining -- had ribs and grilled chicken sandwich which were good (service was really slow). My favorite was stopping at the Lakehouse Winery which is a short walk up the street. Beautiful patio that overlooks the lake -- shared a bottle of wine with a cheese plate to watch the sun set over lake Erie! Very romantic.

Also visited one covered bridge near Ferrante's Winery. There were others in the area but distance was further to drive. The State Park had a very nice beach with sand and swimming.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I recently surprised my fiancé with a birthday present to the Lodge. She had never been to Geneva on the Lake and I thought it would be a nice place to visit since she enjoys wine.

Booking the room:
I had booked the lodge through the online reservation service on their homepage. Before booking I did price comparisons with other online sites such as expedia.com and travelocity.com only to find the rates were the same. Once I found that all the rates were the same I began to dig deeper into the Lodge's website and found they have numerous packages for all types of travelers. As I priced the packages I found that the "Bed and Breakfast" package included breakfast at Horizons (the Lodge's restaurant) and was $30 cheaper than just booking the room alone. I also added on a cheese plate and the wine package which are additional optional amenities. For what we received I found these to be a bit pricey, but they were delivered to our room upon arrival which was a very nice convenience.

Checking in:
Walking into the Lodge was very nice as the grounds were well kept and the lobby was very clean. The employees behind the desk included a clerk and the manager, both of whom were extremely helpful and equally friendly. All of the reservations I had made online were updated through their system and the check in was seamless.

The room:
I booked a king size bed and requested a balcony online. Not all the rooms with king size beds have balcony's but since we were by the lake I preferred a view. We stayed in room 325 which was perfect as it overlooked Horizon's, Lake Erie, and a little gazebo. The view was beautiful and that evening, a wedding was going on that my fiancé and I stayed to watch for a bit before heading out. The room itself was a conventional hotel room, nothing special aside from the balcony and the view. The wine package I had ordered was neatly placed on the desk and a corkscrew was provided which was very convenient. My fiancé preferred red wine vs. the white which was provided so I went down to the front desk and explained this. Without hesitation they said to go in the gift shop and exchange it for a bottle of my choice. I had also ordered the cheese plate which was a nice snack but I didn't feel was worth what we ended up paying for it. The room itself was clean and quiet.

Hotel Amenities:
The hotel has both an indoor pool and outdoor pool which my fiancé and I didn't use, but went down to take a look at. Both of the pools and Jacuzzi appeared to be well kept and we probably would have used them had our stay been longer. It appeared that the hotel put in a short walking path which was nice for a short stroll along the water. There is no beach access since the path goes along a bit of a small cliff (8'-10' high) but the view is still nice for a romantic walk. The hotel also provides a shuttle service for $10 a person which will drive you to and from several of the nearby winery's. We opted not to take the shuttle but noticed a minivan dropping other patrons off at the hotel upon our return from dinner that evening. It appeared to be a nice service however the shuttle did not run very late (10:00PM.) We were told upon check in that if you missed the last shuttle you were then stranded and needed to call a cab.

Hotel Location:
The location of the hotel was very convenient to several wineries located right in the heart of Geneva on the Lake. Some of the wineries were within walking distance (1 to 2 miles) and others were more for driving (5 to 10 miles.) The driving didn't bother us since the wineries were at most a 10 minute car ride and if we were so inclined, we could have walked to the others. For people who are looking more for hiking, there is a State Park nearby which offers other amenities in itself.

All in all I would certainly recommend the Lodge for a weekend getaway to those looking for a rustic type hotel with excellent customer service. As we were leaving my fiancé said "we should make this a yearly trip" which we intend on doing.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

As far as State Parks go, this one is better than most. However, we went with extended family and some rooms were obviously re-done and nice and some were old and cruddy. That didn't matter in terms of price and I ended up paying the same for an old cruddy room as another family member did for a newer room. My room had a bathroom that needed to be cleaned with a blow torch and peeling wallpaper, not to mention very uncomfortable beds. The restaurant was outrageously overpriced for the quality of food and we spent most of our meal batting away swarms of flies. I don't mind paying more for a good meal but please take some of that money I paid and do something about insect control in the restaurant. However, location of the hotel right on the water was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Mentor, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

Check in was super fast and courteous. Wine package we purchased was not in our room as promised, had to call front desk to request. They delivered it promptly, but ruined the surprise factor of it. Dinner was pretty bad, appetizers of Walleye and bruschetta bread were good, but our entrees were very overcooked, chewy and lukewarm. Pool area was decent. We were awakened around 4:30 am by some incredibly loud folks on the same floor, walls must be made of tissue paper. Constantly heard people opening up their slider doors to balcony's all thru the night. Our slider door had a makeshift broom handle that substitued for a lock. Went to breakfast the day of checkout and it was better than dinner the previous night. Definately has a great view of the lake with plenty of room to walk about, but to be honest, we probably won't stay here again. Just not worth hearing everyone on your floor - we came hoping for a nice relaxing night and were sorely disappointed.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Fort Erie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I loved how large the room was. The room also was very close to the pool and the trail and had an outdoor patio. The beds were VERY comfortable too. Although we had to nag the cleaners for more towels, which took a very long time.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We had a pleasant experience with relatively clean rooms and friendly service.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!