“Loved the Lodge” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
buffalo
“Loved the Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

My girlfriend and I had decided to stay here for two nights as a quick getaway. It was only 165 miles from our house in Buffalo area. How wonderful to find such a beautiful hotel right on Lake Erie. We just wish that Buffalo would have a resort like this! We arrived early but they said that our room was not ready. They guaranteed our check-in by 4:00pm and I actually got my room at 4pm. Can't complain though, that is their check in time. Our room was lovely. Very spacious. We paid for a premium room and it was well worth the extra $20. To face the lake versus the parking lot was great. The entire facility was really nice...modern, clean, and well trained staff. The brand new pool was beautiful. Plenty of lounge chairs available. In the evening, so many guests sat on the benches and watched the beautiful sunsets. I would certainly return again, but next time I would bring my kids. They would love the pool, and near the hotel was a great miniature golf/entertainment complex. We paid $161 night, and I felt that for the modern facility and great room that it was well worth the price.

• Liked — Lake-view room
  • Disliked — Dogs on property
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
lorain,ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

The Lodge at Geneva in Ohio is way overpriced. I have stayed at hotels all over the country and have never felt so cheated. Five of us stayed on a Friday night this month in a Family Room. It was a basic hotel room with 2 double beds and 2 bunk beds. It had a sideways view of Lake Erie and no balcony. The cost with tax for 1 night was just over $300,00. Shame on me for not doing my homework. I was expecting much more for the money. We were given just 1 small bar of soap for the 5 of us to use for hand washing and to bathe with. The room was barely large enough. We were expecting a kitchen but it had only a microwave and a small frig. The pool did not have enough chairs and there were dirty towels and trash everywhere. The hot tub was out of service. The pool attendant told us to take chairs out of the indoor pool area to use outside but he did not help us carry them. On the plus side, the room was clean and quiet. If you plan to stay in Geneva, please check out some other places. The lodge looks very fancy but the rooms are very basic. I voiced my concerns about the high cost of the room and the manager on duty said that it wasn't his fault. Save your money and stay somewhere else. Try put-in-bay if you are looking to vacation in Ohio.

• Disliked — The cost of the room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

I stayed here for a girl's weekend. The lodge is nice and the rooms are adequate. But for the price I didn't expect to see gouges and marks on the walls. I arrived 5 hours before the official check in time of 4pm. I waited until noon then asked if they had a room ready. They didn't and so I went to a nearby winery and called every hour or so to check. I didn't get in until 3pm. Now I know that they only guaranteed 4pm, but they didn't seem that busy and I've never had trouble anywhere I've stayed before. Other than that the staff was very accomodating and helpful. It is a wonderful location on the lake and the Lakehouse Winery just down the street is lovely. There are no decent restaurants on the downtown strip. Only the hotel restaruant and the restaurant at the Lakehouse Inn (both are very good). If you are willing to drive a few miles out of town there is an amazing italian restaruant called Allessandros (sp?). Well worth the drive and the wait for a table. Overall it was a very relaxing trip for a couple of days.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

My husband and I visited here for our 10 year anniversary at the recommendation of several friends. While it was a nice place, and quiet, it was clearly a family destination. Rooms were clean, ours had a lake view (over the pool) and was nice. The bed was a little hard, but we were fine. I am not sure I could do a full week on that mattress though. The restaurant was great and had a nice view of the lake. The food was excellent. I think we will go back next summer with the rest of the family for a long weekend (kids, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc). That is primarily who was there, large family groups. They also offered a neat camp for kids, Camp Grape, which we may try to attend next year. This is surely better than what you would expect from a "lodge", but not as nice as a fancy downtown type hotel.

• Liked — Lake views, restaurant, ample grounds to enjoy the water
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lima, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Check in was the only problem we really had. It was explained to us that there had been two weddings booked and a winery special weekend, so our room was not ready as promised. (That really should not make a difference!) We were told we could have a room key to have access to the pool while we waited. We did not opt for that, however. We went into town to browse. It is rather run down, but it was fun to browse though the shops and winery. The ice cream and donut store was great! There is a new putt-putt and gaming place that was great for the kids. Also, go into the town Geneva and be sure to go to Mary's Diner. The best mom and pop's diner I have ever been to! We did not go to Mary's Kitchen, but it is probably the same. Back to the Lodge...the double beds were hard as rocks. We had a view of the parking lot, but we could watch our car anyway. We did not eat at the lodge, since it was rather pricey. But everything else was fine. The sunset and outdoor area was gorgeous. The pools were nice, as well. All in all, we had a great time, and would probably go back.

• Liked — Being right on the lake and enjoying the sunsets.
  • Disliked — Not getting into our room at the posted check-in time
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

This was the first stop on our road trip from NY to TX. We picked it because it promised comfort at a great price and a nice location right by the lake - we were not disappointed. The rooms were nicely decorated (just simple plaids and greens) and the bathrooms were definitely nicer than you would expect at a "lodge" ;). The only downside was the availability of restaurants for dinner. The Horizons restaurant closes at 8pm (!!) on weekdays and so we had to brave the less than romantic Geneva on the Lake community. The reception desk staff recommended Farone's, an Italian place, but we left that restaurant right after we entered. Eventually we found a nice diner (nice because we got to sit on the patio at sunset, not sure I would have wanted to dine inside) with standard American food mix (ribs, pasta, etc.) and a nice selection of beers. It was the Lakeview Rest. On our drive through the motel and fast food studded streets, we established that was definitely the only place we were willing to go to. So overall, the hotel was great as was its location right by the lake / Geneva park but dining options were mediocre at best (we had breakfast at Horizons and it was only so so).

• Liked — lake views
  • Disliked — hotel restaurant closes at 8pm
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Warren, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Checked in at 1:04 P.M. on Feb. 6, 2008. There was a very chilling cold wind blowing in from the lake. It was about 35 degrees outside with a chill factor. The waves were about 3 to 4 feet high. Angelina greeted us at the front desk and was very responsive in answering my questions. I read some negative as well as positive comments about this state lodge.

I was somewhat surprised when I asked her about an upgrade. She made the upgrade with no questions. What about the bottle of wine in the room. No problem. What about the incedentials when we checked in with a credit card. No incedential charge at all. Now I thought I had her when I asked what about making reservations for dinner??

No reservations were required. How do you like that?? But remember it was February and the restaurant had perhaps 10 people dinning. We were served some excellant tasting food as well as some very good tasting wine.

There is laminated paper in your room explaining the quiet policy: "ALL children under the age of 18 must be in rooms by 11:00PM. A warning will be given on the first disturbance. The second disturbance there will be another warning. The third and its lights out!! This will result in a police escort from the lodge without a refund. Isn't this fair enough for three disturbances? It's more than I would give.

There are about 95 rooms with a somewhat view of the lake. I say somewhat because it is not a direct line of view but angled view because of the lay out of the hotel on the property. There are about 14 rooms that do not have a view and they face away from the lake. My math could be off a little. This is only my guess in counting.

The balconys are sheltered away from the other guests. And Internet users BEWARE!! There is a $9.95 charge for internet hookup for 24 hours. Rooms, lounge, lobby and meeting rooms were very clean. Oh there were a few cob webs here and there. Especially up high. A special cleaning crew would have to come in with a high lift and get those webs for the cleanest spirits.

There were no lumpy pillows. So those that do have soft skeleton heads, bring your own from home. They provided some soft ones. There are exyra blankets in the closet. Coffee pot is in the bathroom along with condiments for coffee. You do have to make your own though.

The room was very quiet and I was thinking about other guests staying on the same floor. Yes there were others. It is nice and quiet.

Almost forgot the $25.00 dinner certificate. It comes with the room. And there is a certificate for breakfast also. So all in all you get 35 dollars towards food.

One last thing, the parking is a little walk from the front door especially for anyone handicapped. So be prepared to some walking from your car. As for the very young kids staying there, personaly, I don't recommend them staying there. This is more for adults than children. Your couples?? If I was in my 20's I would find some place else. For those in their 30' to 70's......Live it up a little. You do get 2 warnings before the escorted boot!!! Only kidding. Have fun and enjoy your stay. My wife and I sure did. You can contact me at Guntotndad@AOL.com State in the heading "Geneva Lodge Stay" And I will get back to you as soon as possible.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!