“Dine early” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, TX
“Dine early”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

This was the first stop on our road trip from NY to TX. We picked it because it promised comfort at a great price and a nice location right by the lake - we were not disappointed. The rooms were nicely decorated (just simple plaids and greens) and the bathrooms were definitely nicer than you would expect at a "lodge" ;). The only downside was the availability of restaurants for dinner. The Horizons restaurant closes at 8pm (!!) on weekdays and so we had to brave the less than romantic Geneva on the Lake community. The reception desk staff recommended Farone's, an Italian place, but we left that restaurant right after we entered. Eventually we found a nice diner (nice because we got to sit on the patio at sunset, not sure I would have wanted to dine inside) with standard American food mix (ribs, pasta, etc.) and a nice selection of beers. It was the Lakeview Rest. On our drive through the motel and fast food studded streets, we established that was definitely the only place we were willing to go to. So overall, the hotel was great as was its location right by the lake / Geneva park but dining options were mediocre at best (we had breakfast at Horizons and it was only so so).

• Liked — lake views
  • Disliked — hotel restaurant closes at 8pm
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Warren, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Checked in at 1:04 P.M. on Feb. 6, 2008. There was a very chilling cold wind blowing in from the lake. It was about 35 degrees outside with a chill factor. The waves were about 3 to 4 feet high. Angelina greeted us at the front desk and was very responsive in answering my questions. I read some negative as well as positive comments about this state lodge.

I was somewhat surprised when I asked her about an upgrade. She made the upgrade with no questions. What about the bottle of wine in the room. No problem. What about the incedentials when we checked in with a credit card. No incedential charge at all. Now I thought I had her when I asked what about making reservations for dinner??

No reservations were required. How do you like that?? But remember it was February and the restaurant had perhaps 10 people dinning. We were served some excellant tasting food as well as some very good tasting wine.

There is laminated paper in your room explaining the quiet policy: "ALL children under the age of 18 must be in rooms by 11:00PM. A warning will be given on the first disturbance. The second disturbance there will be another warning. The third and its lights out!! This will result in a police escort from the lodge without a refund. Isn't this fair enough for three disturbances? It's more than I would give.

There are about 95 rooms with a somewhat view of the lake. I say somewhat because it is not a direct line of view but angled view because of the lay out of the hotel on the property. There are about 14 rooms that do not have a view and they face away from the lake. My math could be off a little. This is only my guess in counting.

The balconys are sheltered away from the other guests. And Internet users BEWARE!! There is a $9.95 charge for internet hookup for 24 hours. Rooms, lounge, lobby and meeting rooms were very clean. Oh there were a few cob webs here and there. Especially up high. A special cleaning crew would have to come in with a high lift and get those webs for the cleanest spirits.

There were no lumpy pillows. So those that do have soft skeleton heads, bring your own from home. They provided some soft ones. There are exyra blankets in the closet. Coffee pot is in the bathroom along with condiments for coffee. You do have to make your own though.

The room was very quiet and I was thinking about other guests staying on the same floor. Yes there were others. It is nice and quiet.

Almost forgot the $25.00 dinner certificate. It comes with the room. And there is a certificate for breakfast also. So all in all you get 35 dollars towards food.

One last thing, the parking is a little walk from the front door especially for anyone handicapped. So be prepared to some walking from your car. As for the very young kids staying there, personaly, I don't recommend them staying there. This is more for adults than children. Your couples?? If I was in my 20's I would find some place else. For those in their 30' to 70's......Live it up a little. You do get 2 warnings before the escorted boot!!! Only kidding. Have fun and enjoy your stay. My wife and I sure did. You can contact me at Guntotndad@AOL.com State in the heading "Geneva Lodge Stay" And I will get back to you as soon as possible.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Boardman, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

We stayed Sat. 01/26/08 in a Deluxe King room with the "wine country" package ($199). This package includes a bottle of wine w/ glasses, $25 dinner cert. & next day brunch.

Watch for this marketing technique...When we checked in, the clerk made a point to say "you better make reservations for our restaurant if you want to eat". We did and ate at 5pm. We were the only ones in the restaurant all the way to about 6pm. The food was very good but the thing that made us a bit salty is no one bothered to tell us we were supposed to get 10% off if we dined from 5p to 6p. We found it the next morning on our room key holder. Realizing it was only $7, we tested the front desk clerk to see if they would do the right thing by honoring it. They said "sorry, that had to have been done at the restaurant". Basically, they made a big artificial fuss over the huge demand for their restaurant but didn't bother to tell about the discount and then said tough luck afterward. Little things like this make you wonder if they really value their customers returning.

Besides that, the facility had a nice layout but dirt and cobwebs were visible everywhere. Looked like they never clean. The beds were comfortable but the pillows were very lumpy & hard. Obnoxious kids everywhere!

For $200 we expected more. We would have saved money by getting everything separate. I will be looking elsewhere next time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — rampant filth and poor customer service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

My family of 4 piled into the Lodge at about 10PM after driving for 8 hours to get there. We were on our way to NY but we wished we would have had a couple of days to enjoy the area. The lodge is right on the lake and had lots for the kids to do. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I asked for a rollaway bed at check-in and mentioned that my daughter was already falling asleep in the car. By the time we arrived at our room, it was already waiting for us.

The restaurant has a wonderful view and the breakfast buffet was very tasty. There was a chef there making custom omelettes and waffles. There's a cheaper option if you just want a continental breakfast. All of the staff were friendly and accomodating.

It's a good value but it's not cheap, the rollaway bed was an extra $10 and the restaurant was around $12 per person for breakfast. Still, it's a resort and it's convenient to wine country and the lake so given that, it's very reasonable.

We enjoyed it and will definitely stay there again on the way through and perhaps plan to stay a bit longer next time. It was decorated nicely for Christmas but I'm sure the resort really shines during the summer months.

• Liked — The fireplace in the lobby
  • Disliked — No direct route from hotel to the lake, lots of mud to traipse through
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Spring, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

This hotel was just okay. It was a beautiful location and park but my room faced the pool that is under construction, and my balcony faced the men who were working on the construction into the evening. The rooms were really comfortable, and I liked the soap and amenities in the bathroom, very classy. There was no cell phone service in the room, but there was service in the lobby. A nice getaway location.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at the Lodge twice, once in the summer and again in the fall. We happened upon a great rate ($79 + tax for the room and breakfast) that took us there the first time. Beautiful lodge, comfortable and clean rooms, if you get a view of the lake/woods they're both pretty good. The summer was fun, the main drag is in walking distance and it really reminded me of the old town east coast boardwalk, without the actual boardwalk. They have bicycles you can rent and ride through the state park. We went back a second time for their Murder Mystery event last fall. The lodge ended up losing power on Saturday during the event but the staff didn't miss a beat. We had backup power for the dinner/dance while the rest of the hotel was on emergency power. It just added to the creepy Halloween themed murder mystery. If they offer another one, it's definately worth it. Food is good, actors were great and the setting can't be beat.

• Liked — It had to be the Murder Mystery Event and the staff.
  • Disliked — The pricing can be high if you don't get in on a special rate.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

We were married here in September of 2006. We had booked about 80% of the hotel for the weekend and had absolutely no problems. We had guests from Michigan, Nevada, Texas, NYC, Florida, California and Virginia to name a few. They all had nothing but great things to say about this place. No one experienced problems with not having a correct reservation and the front desk staff went out of their way to accommodate each and every one of our requests.

Between 50-60 of our closest friends and family closed the lounge area each night (Thurs-Sat). There were lots of people that had not visited in quite awhile and had some catching up to do. The entertainment on Friday and Saturday was an excellent addition...and the wonderful bartenders were nice enough to stay late for us...

Each time we visit the Lodge, we book a suite and have yet to be disappointed. Yes, all of the rooms are not directly waterfront but the facility is still serene and beautiful altogether. Each room is clean and comfortable. The housekeeping staff was among the nicest I have ever encountered. Bath and Body Works complementary toiletries were a nice touch as well. You can even book a massage and an off-site masseuse will come to the lodge. On our wedding night, we stayed in the Jacuzzi suite and were not disappointed. It was lovely and the perfect place to retreat after such a busy day.

We had to bring our ceremony inside due to weather, and used the large fireplace by the lobby. I think I liked that better than the gazebo! The acoustics are incredible for a quartet in the lobby. The entire staff, especially Kim went above and beyond to ensure that things were organized. I am a ridiculous planner and had very high expectations for our wedding - everything was in its place because of the amazing staff...or at least I never knew! ha!

The Horizons Sunday brunch is excellent and has a variety of foods to select from. Lunch and dinner are great as well...a good selection of local wines.

I cannot wait to re-visit the hotel for nostalgic purposes. For a small weekend getaway with family or just the girls - to a large - all out of towner wedding, the lodge is the perfect place to visit. They really made us feel right at home...all 150 of us!

• Liked — off the beaten path, staff was incredible, wine, great place for a wedding/reception
  • Disliked — wished all the rooms were waterfront.
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!