“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, Grill, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Specializing in fresh Lake Erie perch* (as available) and wood fired cuisine including pizza, steaks, chicken and weekly fish specials. Our chefs work closely with local farmers to create seasonal menus featuring the freshest ingredients available.Whether it is a birthday or anniversary celebration or a romantic dinner for two, Crosswinds Grille is the perfect setting! Stop by and enjoy a delicious meal along with fine wines and a spectacular view of Lake Erie!
Kent, Ohio, United States
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

First things first- this restaurant is closed on Tuesdays for dinner. Plan accordingly.

Of course, we (two other women and myself) came to GOTL on a Tuesday expecting to eat dinner here after winery hopping all day. We settled for lunch.

It was around noon, and the place must have just opened because we were one of two occupied tables. The service was still slow. It's nice inside, though. Good views of the lake.

The menu is RIDICULOUSLY limited. Like, maybe twenty items. Maybe. We ordered- one woman asked if she could have a burger medium rare. The waitress said she would ask the chef and let her know; she just put the order in. The burger came out well done, so she sent it back. It came out well done for a second time.

If you can't cook the burger medium rare, don't cook it well done and serve it. Let the customer know so he/she can order something else off of your very limited menu.

I ordered a personal pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms. Way too much cheese, and I love cheese.

Verdict: A bit overpriced. Ridiculously limited menu. Slow service, even when nobody else is there. Good views of the lake. There appears to be a nicer dinner atmosphere- when they're open for dinner. Just go somewhere else.

Visited August 2013
Andrea B, Manager at Crosswinds Grille, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience with us. I’m so sorry that you booked for a time that the restaurant is closed. They are only closed one night a week (May through September) and the staff really needs that one night off to regenerate and be ready for the next week and that is also when we deep clean to keep our restaurant spic and span. The only reason you were eating in the restaurant building was because of the weather. During the warm summer months, the winery serves on the lower deck closer to the water; but when the weather turns cold or rainy, they move into the restaurant up above on the bluff. The winery menu is limited accordingly because of eating outside and the staff having to carry those items up and down the stone steps from the decks below to the restaurant kitchen above. It was also designed for a more relaxed, informal lunch period. I am sorry that your burger was over done, I’m not sure what happened there but will make sure that the kitchen sees your remarks so that they can make necessary changes and adjustments to make sure everyone’s food experience is optimal. I’m also not sure what happened that caused you to feel that the service was too slow. But again, your comments are appreciated so that we can fine tune our staff to be the best they can be. Thank you for your nice comments about our restaurant, the views and the atmosphere. I hope you will come and visit us again and give us a chance to enjoy a quiet and relaxed lunch along Lake Erie.

Erie, Pennsylvania
“Ambiance and food EXCELLENT!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is really a destination! they have Villa's, beach houses, a winery and a wonderful restaurant. The food was AMAZING, the wine was STELLER and the view was STUNNING!!! I don't know who this Jay K is that reviewed this wonderful destination but don't listen to him/her!

• Visited August 2013
westerville
“Great stay and dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the inn and ate at this restaurant. The service throughout was superb and the meals fantastic. I had the perch and wife had scallops. We talked it up with all our friends upon our return on how great everything was.

• Visited July 2013
Unionville, Ohio, United States
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This small restaurant is in a fantastic setting on the shores of Lake Erie in Geneva-on-the-Lake. I enjoyed possibly the best grilled scallops I ever had. To find a restaurant of this cleanliness, quality and service in Ashtabula County is very welcome.

• Visited June 2013
Mentor, Ohio
“Nice Ambiance, Terrible Food, Poor Value and Mgr Should be Fired”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

To be fair, the owners have done a great job with the Atmosphere. It is a beautiful place and the landscaping is unbelievable. The wait staff was great too. My wife and I ordered the Steak and mashed special ($34 each). Steak was cooked well but three quarters fat. mashed were so salty my wife could not eat them. Honestly it seemed like a $7.99 meal. Waitress when taking my dish asked if I wanted a doggie bag and I pointed out it was all fat. She said I see what you mean, appologized and said she woul tell the manager. She returned and said "sorry but manager loves the food supplier but, if you fill out this complaint card it will really help." Manager never came out to see us, never said anything at all and we were charged full price to boot. If I were the owner I would fire the Manager ASAP.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Andrea B, Manager at Crosswinds Grille, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent visit with us. Thank you so much for the kind words on our landscaping as we really work hard on creating a beautiful place to relax and get away. As to the food, I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your rib eye. I’m sure you were aware that a rib eye is highly marbled with a large swath of fat separating the different sections of meat and actually the fat is where a lot of the distinctive flavor of the beef comes from, making the rib eye one of the richest, beefiest cuts available. I’m sorry that the manager did not get to your table as they were called away on a computer issue in the winery. Our server did want you to fill out a guest comment card as we take those comments very seriously. Whether they are rave reviews or to someone who has advice as to what we need to do better so that all of our guests enjoy their visit with us, we want to know it. I hope that you will come back and visit us again and give us a chance to wow you with our food and attention to our guests so that you too will be able to give us a big thumbs up.