“good for lunch” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot at Havelock

You added Barefoot at Havelock to your Saves list
Barefoot at Havelock
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Radhanagar Village (Beach No 7), Havelock Island 744101, India   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Havelock Island
“good for lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had lunch here during a stay in Port Blair. The food was good, although service was slow. The resort is a collection of nicely done wooden+thatched roof huts, including the restaurant. Food was "average plus"--- especially given the fairly normal things we ordered (fish curry and veg thali). Bathrooms were in an out building near the restaurant--- and not very clean. The beach is beautiful here--- although you can also access the beach --Radhanagar beach (also known as beach #5) voted best in Asia-- from a public area with parking lot and vendors (of anything you could possibly imagine). The hotel doesnt have chairs, bar/restaurant service, etc., on the beach--and it's located about 3-5 min walk through a 'jungle' of beautiful tall trees from the beach. Other resorts on the island have better beach access (several on beach #5, for ex), including chairs/towels and bar+food service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Jammu City, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Except for the location, everything else is just average about the resort.The food is very spicy There is no variety in vegetarian meals and staff is not bothered. The rates are exorbitant. The beach view is excellent. You do not have to go to any other place if you want to just relax and enjoy only the beach life. But then you have to ignore the meal part.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We were on a trip to the Andamans, which turned out to be a trip on Havelock, in September 2012. Low airfares and good monsoon discounts at the Barefoot convinced us to taste the islands in monsoon.

The resort is quite secluded on the island (Havelock is not a small isle in that sense). To it's advantage is that the resort has a wonderful location and access to a beach that is worth being named one of the best in Asia. On the ther hand, accessibility to the other parts of the island becomes an issue and the in-house resturant becomes the only option!

The resort has cottages spluttered amongst tall trees, a relatively cleared part of a denser jungle. The aura is scintillating towards dusk. The cottages themselves are spotlessly clean and well insulated (from the heat and some insects). The hospitality is great, except that the artificiality gets apparent often. We had no problems for anything we needed - hair dryer, loads of coffee, beach towels each day and umbrellas (offered at no cost). Though a little too costly for the kind (I felt so, even with the biggest discounts!), they do offer a different experience.

The in-house restaurant boasts of good Italian cuisine (owing to it's Italaina Manager who was leaving the resort just when we were leaving, to take up some assignment under the same umbrella but somewhere else) besides some very normal but quality Indian fare. The crew here is absolutely great - one place in the resort where, costs were compensated by some conversations that turned out to be cherishable. The quantities for the price though, in the Indian way, are meager - we seldom order a dish for each :-(

What I found personally disappointing is that it rips off your wallet! Service charges on almost everything. Anything out of resort calls for money - even transit to the sister dive resort. The service charges though go very much helping the local staff with that extra perk.

As I left, I thought I could have better shared my stay between the two parts - a brief romantic stay at the Barefoot, Radhanagar and an adventurous fun-filled one at the Barefoot Scuba Resort. This would have saved some money to me for that extra dive and fun, without letting go of a chance of a romantic stay either.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at Barefoot. The reason we stayed at Barefoot was that the Andamans are the place to go for diving in India and Barefoot is the place to stay on Havelock. Beach #7 is beautiful and the water actually looks quite pristine, which we didn't see anywhere else in India. The jungle around the resort is quite dense and lovely.

The pros are the beauty, the cons are the difficulty in reaching the resort. Flight and ferry schedules are setup to basically force everyone to spend a night in Port Blair upon arrival and departure. Research online proved that I wanted to avoid wasting time in Port Blair. The only way to do this was to take a ridiculously early flight in and hire a private boat ($$$$) for our departure.

The diving was very good. I went through Barefoot's sister dive resort. The dive staff were good and reasonably priced. In 4 dives, I saw 5 reef sharks, a humongous sea turtle, and tons of sea life. Loved it.

The resort itself is pretty minimalistic, which is a little surprising considering how costly it is. We stayed in an A/C villa for a couple nights and loved the A/C, but the cabin could have been maintained a little better. We also spent a couple nights in one of the nicer Nicobari Villas. There was no A/C and the furnishings inside were quite worn. The service was good, but subpar compared to the other locales we stayed while in India. I understand they are going for the rustic nature theme, but much improvement is possible. We stayed at a similar rustic resort for diving in Malaysia (Pom Pom Island) that was a little cheaper but the accommodations and service far exceeded that of Barefoot.

Driving around Havelock, I think this is the poshest place on the island. It's not bad, but maybe a little pricey for what you get.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed there for 4 nights in Oct 12 and we were a group of 15 (5 years to 78 years). The location of the resort is excellent and the beach is fabulous. It is Radhanagar beach but if you go to the beach as a day tourist you will never ever get to know that few meters walk on the beach and there is this beautiful locale. The cottages are all in the midst of Mahua trees and there are no mobile connection except BSNL. NO TV but that is a welcome break.

Now there is this person John! He appears to be amicable, friendly and co-operative but will also come near you and will say by all probability ..."if you 'co-operate' with me, I will co-operate with you. First time in my life I have ever heard anything like this. Well, I did 'co-operate' with him but his 'promised' co-operation did not come!

The restaurant was good and the continental fare was good. Kshitij, the steward was very helpful and considering that he had to manage a group of 15, I think he pulled it off nicely!

The bar at the lobby was attended by Gaurav from Mumbai ... He is efficient and you can easily strike a conversation with him. The adjoining open kitchen dishes out some excellent grill. Highly recommended is the Red Snapper.

The tall and mighty manager Rahul is always busy with the overseas guests. I am not sure if they buy him free drinks. He is so busy with them that the duplex cottage (Cottage No. 3) needs a maintenance must have missed his attention because of his attention to the drinks and overseas visitors.

Why I talk about maintenance because in the duplex one of the steps gave way while my wife was coming down. It could have been fatal but she managed to escape with some minor bruises. Apology fro the manager?????? It's still coming and the carpenter took almost 20 hours to fix the step. I am sure, the overseas guests would have demanded compensation for this!!

On the day of check out, John came to me with a bill for Rs. 200/-. Why? It seems in cottage no. 17 where my brother and dad stayed, the hand towels got some stains. On checking it seemed to me that those stains could be from rust. Maybe the towels were dried somewhere where it got stained. And they were in the same corner of the towel! It was difficult for me to accept that two matured individuals could do that. Well I did not have any proof to establish that maybe the housekeeping has given stained towels .... Neither they could prove that they have not supplied stained towels.

Cottage No. 3 (Duplex) - the bed sheet got stained at two or three places .... Our fault 100%. My brother in law spilled something .... I was charged Rs. 900/- for that.... We needed to compensate! And I compensated! But what about their compensation to me when my wife got hurt because of their negligence ..... Mr. Rahul too busy to woo the overseas guests!!!!

I holiday around 5 times a year and never ever I have come across such an attitude. If Shakespeare would have been alive, in Merchant of Venice he would have names his character 'John or Rahul' and not Shylock!

Imagine, in 4 days we spent around 1.5 Lakhs and then charged for Rs. 1100/- for damaged towels.These people must get their lesson in hospitality from Taj Hotels Group.

My review is not to discourage anybody from staying there but be very careful after you check in. Also remember to check the manufacturing dates of the cookies in the mini bar.

If you avail their services for water activities .... their service is good. Ask for Kingston or Vinod for diving or snorkeling.

For the beach goers they provide with coir mats.

Cottage No. 1 is nearest to the Dining Hall and Cottage No. 18 is the farthest.

If you plan to go back to Port Blair by the evening Makruzz then remember that the hotel check out is at 11 am.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Madras
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Quality wise – Best in HAVELOCK ! PERIOD ..I wanted to upload lot sa snaps here but my slow internet connection doesn’t allows it To strt with , First of all stay in andaman overall is generally very costly & costlier is transportation , ferry etc u need in Andaman,..chances are that u will spend much more on sightseeing than stay.We however needed the best & finally negotiated a good deal frm 99andaman.com which have great prices and all inclusive deals .. a 6 day package costed us around 60-70 k & it ws great to be in havelock – simply put..in all my maths and calculations I saved some 20-30k by planning smart..hotel is awesome but as I saw fellow travellers were taken fr a ride if they asked hotel counters fr tours etc + services wr nt exactly gr8
The Barefoot resort is magnificently great place located near the Radhanagar beach which is a best beach of island. The location of the resort is quiet and clam. You will really enjoy the silence over there. The cold breeze flowing freshen ups your soul.
We stayed there for 4 days 3 nights and have a very enjoyable experience. We stayed in Fan cooled Nicobari cottages which are constructed by bamboo, wood and palm leaves. Bamboo matting shapes the walls of the room, the roofs are created from thatch and local hardwood fashions the floor. The interiors of the room were elegant. Room was having attached bathroom with 24 hr hot and cold water facility.
The food at restaurant was awesome. The breakfast was included in the booking was regular. The drinks and coffee was great. And the service was too fast and appreciable.
The beach is just few minute walk from the resort so we spend most of our time near the beach. This was the best place for spending romantic evening with your love one. We also went for snorkeling, fishing, scuba diving and kayaking. I snorkel along with the mighty Rajan- the swimming elephant.
The resort has hammocks tied around the coconut trees for relaxing. Overall the resort is amazing place for your holidays. The booking, enquiry, reservation, pickup & drop, adventure activity arrangements, everything was wonderful and efficiently handled. It’s a superb place to start and end holiday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had the best week. The staff can't do enough for you, great food, great accommodation and nice people. It's pretty much a jungle and a beach, with luxury cabins dotted throughout. Highly recommended if you want to just relax with your other half.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barefoot at Havelock? Share your experiences!