There was only Bob Evan & Golden Coral near our hotel. We eat so often at Bob Evans, that we decided to eat at Golden Coral. What a mistake! We went in to eat an early supper at 4:30 pm on Friday evening. It was past the lunch hours, so I expected fresh food. There was almost nothing fresh. At the salad area, I tried to get mushrooms out of the container & all that remained were frozen mushrooms in the bottom. Foods were not filled & were messy. Looking at pasta salads, they were actually dried out on top & crunchy looking. I'm not sure how long that takes to occur, but I did not select any of that either. There were many items that had dried out on top. It was apparent that no one stirs the items to keep things fresh & either hot or cool (depending on the item & if it is on ice or heat). Those items threw up RED FLAGS to me. Things at room temp can become unsafe & cause food poisoning. The cheese sauce beside the broccoli & cauliflower pans, I tried to ladel it out & it had a very thick top that blew apart when I pulled the spoon up & out. It was a large container, filled to the top. I would have thought someone would have used that.....& I'm not sure how long it takes to develop about a 1/4" thickened top on it....but it very strange. Food was all over the food bars & things were not wiped up. I tried the chicken livers, but after one taste decided I should not eat more, as they had definitely been sitting there a long time. Bread pudding was a mess. People seemed to have stirred it & messed it up completely, but it was not removed. A girl walked by me when I was at the desserts that worked there & just walked away making no changes. There were so many foods I would not touch just from "the look" of them. You knew they were not fresh & must have sat there since opening at 11 am. Things were dried out out, had film on top, & the bar was not clean.
Price was over $25 for the two of us & I drank water & husband drank coffee. We'd have been much further ahead to eat at Bob Evans or to have ordered a pizza from somewhere to eat.
Eat at your own risk. Thankfully, by being selective on what we chose & by praying over our food, we did not end up with food poisoning. Had I realized the entire place was so unkept & food not fresh, we'd have asked for a refund after viewing the salad bar area. I should have checked, as this was quite dangerous to eat somewhere like this & especially when traveling. Food poisoning & trying to travel don't mix!
If you own or manage Golden Corral, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.