“Excellent Burger Chain. Go. You won't be Disappointed.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #33 of 87 Restaurants in Gahanna
Cuisines: American
Portsmouth, Ohio
“Excellent Burger Chain. Go. You won't be Disappointed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have ate at three different Smashburger locations around the Midwest. All have been excellent. The burgers are fresh, juicy and filling. The buns compliment the burger perfectly. I always have the haystack onions which are addictive. If you want an excellent burger but don't want to pay a fortune, try one of these.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Columbus, Ohio
“Nearly Burger Nirvana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Better Half and I finally made it over to Smashburger on Saturday the 1st (6/1/13). We'd gone at least twice before and the place has been packed to the gills with a line out the door. But this trip there were no lines and even some empty tables. SCORE!

I was impressed with how impeccably clean this place was. The counter service was very friendly and we didn't feel like we needed to hurry up & figure out our order (my biggest beef with Graffiti Burger). It helped a LOT that the menus are posted just outside and just inside the door, so you can take your time before ever going in to decide what you want.

I ordered the Avocado Club with Smashfries and Better Half ordered the Spicy Baja with Chili Cheese Fries. (I failed to read the Avocado Club description closely enough; I expected pepper jack cheese on it but there was NO cheese - my fail, not the restaurant's! Just know if you want cheese on this burger you have to ask for it.) Better Half requested no guacamole on his burger, so we can't say if the guac's good or not.

But the burgers ....oh my ... the burgers! Both were incredibly tasty and tender (cooked well done; no option on that). My multi-grain bun was wonderful, and the chipotle bun with the Spicy Baja was also delish. And the FRIES. I can only rate the fries a "4" because I like "mushy" fries, not super-crispy fries like most people. But the FLAVOR - wow. I'm already craving those fries tossed in olive oil, rosemary & garlic. YUMMO. (Note of caution here: the fries in the bottom of the basket were pretty well drenched in residual olive oil; not a problem for me but could be for some folks. And when I bit into some of those super-crispy fries I got a squirt of oil in my mouth that was quite disconcerting. Still ... I'll order them again and just ask for them to be a titch undercooked.) I was impressed that the Spicy Baja came with fresh sliced jalapenos instead of the typical pickled version. I will order the Spicy Baja and Smashfries on our next visit, which I hope will be SOON.

Better Half ordained the Chili Cheese Fries "okay" and would rate them a "3" - simply average. I noticed he every single one of them though .... just sayin'.

There were two minor drawbacks to Smashburger for us. The first one is the traffic jam at the beverage "bar" - It's a small area (unfortunately, my pictures of this did not "take" for some reason), and people were lined up waiting to get their drinks. It's also in a very narrow part of the restaurant, exacerbating the traffic jam in that area. The other drawback was the total of our bill - nearly $25 for 2 burgers, 2 orders of fries and 2 drinks - which seemed a bit steep for lunch with no alcohol.

Nonetheless, the food was good enough we'll go back for supper occasionally and enjoy every morsel just as we did Saturday. For us, Smashburger is a welcome addition to the Columbus food scene!

• Visited June 2013