“Wow! Worth The Trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Macedonia, Ohio
“Wow! Worth The Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was in town from the Cleveland-Akron area for a big birthday milestone of the oldest member of my once larger family. The guest of honor was asked if he wanted to go to his favorite restaurant. He likes ribs and jumped at the chance to pick The Hickory House in Gahanna, Ohio. The two hour one way ride was worth the trip because James the manager said the ribs were the best and he was right on. Most of us had the ribeye, rib dinner or the filet mignon and extra ribs were on the table for all to enjoy. The service provided by the attentive manager, James and our server was the best I have enjoyed in many years. All the food was perfect and the portions were better than I might have had at home. The soup, the bread and wow, the chocolate mousse made the meal a triple treat. Never again will I travel to Columbus without taking the time to visit The Hickory House. Apparently, special service, even on Mother's Day was the norm at The Hickory House. Great food, great prices and great service.....made me think how the diner was worth the trip and I am glad our group was treated to one of the best meals possible and at my new favorite spot. Try it and you will be glad you did! Wish there was a Hickory House up north a bit!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Steubenville, Ohio
“Tender,Tasty Ribs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Okay- I am a bit spoiled when it comes to Ribs! DeeJays Ribs in Weirton, WV and my fathers ribs are the best I have had! Ever! I have had Montgomery Inn's ribs also and they do not compare to my fathers or DeeJays!
With that said, I do not order ribs out! My hubby talked me into it. I was pleasantly surprised! They were excellent! Nice and tangy! The ribs were meaty which suggested slow roasting to cook off the fat without drying out the meat! I will be back and will older the ribs AGAIN!
The bread here is fantastic! Nice and crusty- served warm!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canal Winchester, Ohio
“Continues to have good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at Hickory House many times over the past years, and I have to say that our meals are almost always very good. The steaks are cooked as ordered, the ribs are tender and delicious, and the wait staff is usually very attentive. The restaurant is almost old-fashioned in its décor, but that lends to a comfortable feel. I had the fish once, and it wasn't terrible, but almost without flavor, so I usually stick to the steak. Green beans as a side tasted great!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“Good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Hickory House has very good food, not upscale, nothing to die for but a great close to home go-to. Comfortable surroundings, friendly staff.

Visited January 2013
Galena, Ohio, United States
“so-so food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Ribs were cooked well but sauce wasn't very good. Fish was slightly greasy. Steak fries need a lot more flavor. Waitress disappeared on us and we had to send the Host to find her b/c she never came back w/ things we asked for.

• Visited December 2012