“Clean, comfortable, fully equipped.” 4 of 5 stars

Great Lakes Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1737 E State St, Fremont, OH 43420   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Fremont
Campton, New Hampshire
“Clean, comfortable, fully equipped.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I found Great Lakes Motel on Booking.com while on a drive from New Hampshire to Chicago. I detoured off of I-80 (Ohio Turnpike) about 10 miles to get there. It is on US Hwy 20. The remarkable features of my Room 15 were a king-sized bed, full size refrigerator with a freezer, a microwave oven, a coffee maker with coffee, a brand new flat-screen TV, a well-working air conditioner with remote control, and a GARAGE adjacent to the room. It is an older motel, but well kept. The woman in charge was polite and kind to me. There are restaurants just down the road in Fremont, including a good Chinese place called The Golden Dragon. I stayed here again on the drive home (and ate a second dinner at the Golden Dragon).

Room Tip: Call to determine the availability, and rates. Booking by phone the second time saved me some money...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Merrimac
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

When I travel on the motorcycle, I am tired and have no need for extra fluff that I will not use anyhow. I need a quiet clean room and bathroom to get clean again and sleep. The owner is very nice and helpful, she and her assistant were good on the phone when reserving. She did not seem to mind when I was quite late in arriving (route got messed upThe room is somewhat old, but I don't mind when its clean and quiet. I am not there to see a fashion statement. This is an old fashioned motel from before the big chains along the freeways and beltways. In fact, its way off the Interstate, but that was ok. The price was much cheaper too, which allows me to make the trip at all. And, its more interesting than staying in the places that are all the same no matter where in the country you are. There are small garages that are perfect for my motorcycle (and stuff on it) to stay dry. The area was safe, but the garage seems a little more secure by keeping the vehicle out of sight, which is a concern when traveling on a bike. It was a little higher cost than I would have liked to see, but not too bad. I would certainly stay here again when it fits into my route. I hope to find more places like hers to stay at when touring the country on the bike.

Room Tip: I would think all the rooms are good for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Okay, maybe it doesn't have a good view, but the bathroom has a window that you can open, which is a thumbs up on my list for many reasons! Not only did it have the blinds for privacy but had the cutest valance curtain on top!!! When we called for reservations, Mama took care of us. Just asked what time we'd be arriving. Didn't ask for a cc to hold the room, just a name. Then when we arrived, she gave us 2 keys to let us pick which room we wanted. Also, for a motel it had microwave, huge fridge with a freezer AND a coffee maker!!! And it didn't cost us $300 a night. The room was VERY clean - I didn't feel at all like I had to wear slippers when walking on the carpet. Firm mattresses.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had car problems outside of Fremont on a cross-country road trip and had to get a last minute room very late at night. Mama, the owner of Great Lakes, made what was already a pretty terrible and expensive evening in Fremont into a comfortable and restorative night. She called me Bubu and treated me like a long-lost relative, offering to drive me to get dinner in town and then spending considerable effort and follow-up calls to make sure I was settled into my room and found everything alright. She made clear that she was around 24/7, was flexible on checkout times as I was waiting on a mechanic, and just generally couldn't have been more hospitable. So the owner's great. The room itself was huge, the shower was hot, and the room did not want for a single amenity/appliances. And all for like 60 bucks!

tl;dr
hospitable and flexible owner, clean and spacious rooms, fully stocked

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Fremont, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Been here a few weeks and just recently the owner entered our room while we were away. Didnt bother to call and make sure she could enter or anything. Constantly calling our room phone at all hours of the day. Entering our room atfter midnight waking us up. Its absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms have cobwebs and are dirty
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Fremont hotels

Waterville, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed here one night recently in room 115. It was at the end of the row of rooms. Each room has a little carport next to it. We parked with just the nose of the car in because it's so narrow, if you pulled all the way in, I don't think you could open your door. Still it was a nice buffer zone since there's not another room adjoining it. We reserved a queen size bed and the owner offered to upgrade us to a king for $5. When we declined, she upgraded us at no charge. The best part of the room was the comfy bed, pillows, & linens. This was our first night of a week-long trip on the road and by far the most comfortable bed we slept in all week. The room was clean overall with just a few stray cobwebs here and there. The towels could stand to be upgraded... reminded me of locker room towels, but they were clean and fresh. The flat screen tv was very nice. There's a light just outside the door, so if you are checking in after dark, don't leave the door open more than necessary or you may have some little buggy friends join you. There is no breakfast available there, so if you read otherwise, it is incorrect. It's not really the type of place you'd expect to get a free breakfast, just by the way it's laid out. The owner was very friendly and even called our room after we got in to make sure we were satisfied with the arrangements. It's an economical, comfortable place to stay. PS The hot water is on the opposite side in the shower, so play with it til you get the right temperature!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here overnight as I had my certification dives at the White Star Quarry. I must say, the rooms were well maintained and had all the facilities, any decent hotel would have. The people were very hospitable and friendly. Car parking was right next to my room, hence it was very convenient to take things in and out of my car. Overall a very good experience and I would recommend this motel for all those travelers who are looking for a clean and inexpensive accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Great Lakes Motel? Share your experiences!