“I am not overly religious - but I was deeply moved” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Religious Sites
Attraction Details
Dorset
18 attraction reviews
“I am not overly religious - but I was deeply moved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Working at an Industrial Plant nearby I heard about the Shrine and decided to visit early evening. I parked up and was the only person around as I had a walk around the shrine and surrounding gardens. I had a seat and spent some time contemplating family and friends who are no longer with us and, although I am not overly religious, I was deeply moved. What is amazing is how few locals even know about the shrine!? Not really an attraction – it’s a place of worship, healing and spiritual renewal

Visited October 2013

10 attraction reviews
“Beautiful, serene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a quiet and peaceful place for prayer and reflection. We had a small (80 person) conference there. The food was delicious. The sisters were very hospitable. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2013
Strongsville, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
“A little known, but must visit location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was raised just "down the hill" from the shrine and we went there often. I now live on the opposite side of town and make it a point the stop back periodically. The replica shrine of Lourdes in itself is lovely, water running form the rock under Mary's feet. There is a life size statute of Bernadette kneeling amid the out door pews.

Other aspects of the shrine include many statues of the saints through out the grounds, a walking path for recitation of the rosary and a pilgrimage path through a wooded area for the stations of the cross, the final one of which is a life sized tomb with the crucified Christ.

The chapel is beautiful, and very serene, with its stained glass windows and peaceful quietness. You cannot go into it without feeling at peace. If you do plan to go and wan to see the chapel, you may want to check that it is open at the time you will be there.

There is also a dining room on location, open at designated times.

If you have ever thought of going to Lourdes in France and cannot get there, this is the next best thing. It is a peaceful and awe inspiring experience that does not diminish over time.

Visited August 2013
Cleveland
“A little secret treasure tucked away off Euclid Avenue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am not Catholic, but I have long looked at the front of this shrine as I drove by on Euclid Avenue (main thoroughfare)....finally one day I drove up the hill and went inside. What a lovely, peaceful and spiritual place this is! Anyone of any faith would appreciate it, for its beauty and contemplative qualities. It is beautifully maintained, and looks like a slice out of another world -- maybe in the 50s or in Europe. It is hard to believe it sits a hundred feet or so above a busy commercial road and factories. Once you are there, you are in a secluded little world. There is a beautiful shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes, and stations of the cross located along a heavily wooded and twisting path. There is also a gift shop and I believe a cafeteria (I did not visit these).

Since discovering this hidden treasure, I try to visit every year and I recommend it to all my friends. It's one of the loveliest parts of the Euclid area, and a real surprise to visitors who can't believe it is hidden among such an unlikely part of town. If you are a local or visiting this area, make it a point to visit!

Visited April 2013
Euclid, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
“"Peace" of Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Rising physically and metaphorically above the busy thoroughfare below, the wooded hillside on which the National Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes sits is truly filled with the peace one would expect on a mountain top retreat. Thousands have come here for prayer and for healing, many experiencing miraculous cures by visiting the grotto which is a replica of that in Lourdes, France. In fact, the waters that flow continuously in the grotto of this shrine do so over a chip from the stone on which Our Lady first appeared to St. Bernadette. Three pieces shaved from that stone in Lourdes (when it was being readied for a statue of Our Lady) were given to the nuns from this Euclid retreat when on pilgrimage in France. They were told by the priest in France who gave them the stone chips that it was Our Lady's desire that they use these stones in a replica shrine here. That is how and why this National Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes was built on this site, and why so many have found these grounds to be so holy. It is more than natural peace found here. It is the peace of heaven on earth.

Visited May 2013