“Location is a blight” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
Columbus, Oh
“Location is a blight”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

Hotel was average. Needs bedding upgrades. Local mall closed and hard to access.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Surrounding area
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
the midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

My husband comes to Elyria about 4 times a year. On our way back from vacation, he needed to stop and pick up some things for business here. He usually stays at this motel. He booked a night for my son and us to stay here. When walking into the "lobby", I don't know if you can even call it one, I noticed the extremely faded furniture and the teller like windows for you to do your transactions through. We were at the end of the first floor and it was dark and smelled awful. My husband noted that he had never seen it this bad before. (He had last stayed here in the spring) He must of known I would not be thrilled with this choice because he said we have 30 minutes to decide if we want to stay. The room was clean with a refrig-micro combo, but when we went out the side door to get the rest of our luggage, I knew I would never be able to sleep here. The corridor was filthy and it did not look safe. I know my husband will probably stay here when he comes back to the area again, but I did not want to end our last night of vacation in a dump. I guess if you want a cheap rate with a clean room, but questionable exterior, go for it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bestwesternelyria, Webmaster at BEST WESTERN Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing BEST WESTERN Inn for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry that your attempted visit didn’t work out.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) The housekeeping staff was reminded that they have a responsibility to keep not only the rooms but the corridors and other parts of the establishment properly cleaned as well.

2) Security staff was told of your comment that you didn’t feel safe and was asked what they felt could be done to help our valued guests feel more secure.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at BEST WESTERN Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Travelers are raving about these Elyria hotels

ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

We stayed here with our three children while visiting cedar point and the cleveland zoo. We booked a suite(really 2 rooms) which was very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Stayed for four days with my family during Oberlin commencement weekend. The rooms are spacious and reasonably clean. The staff were generally good; one of the front desk clerks was not overly friendly while two others were wonderful. The workout room has a broken bike, a partly broken treadmill (works, but barely) and a mechanical stair-stepper and nothing else, not even a mat. The pool is great and this was a big attraction for the kids. The breakfast is minimal; stale donuts (four days in a row), raisin bran or froot loops, white or wheat toast, packets of instant oatmeal, margarine and grape jelly packets. The coffee tasted consistently like dirty dishwater four days in a row. In summary, it's a decent room and a reasonable price, but don't go for the free breakfast or the gym. If you don't care about the workout room and you skip the breakfast you'll probably be quite satisfied.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Breakfast, workout room, view
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

chose to stay here after reading a recommendation on tripadvisor. This has to be the worst possible place I have ever stayed. We checked in late, and were spoken to through a security hatch. Told to use a back door with warnings about security, which made you feel like this was a "nice" neighbourhood! The hotel claimed to be non smoking but this was far from true, the stench was aweful, the room was dirty, the window cracked and wallpaper torn. The bedlinen was so bad, we actually slept on top of the bed in our clothes. If we had felt safe enough, we'd have slept in our car, rather than in this place. We were 2 females travelling alone, and the car felt too unsafe.....
We arrived at 11pm and checked out by 7am.... despite having a 2night stay booked.
We then found hotel heaven..... just 15mins drive away, nearby cleveland airport north, we booked into the Marriott courtyard Inn. It costs £20 a night more, but what a difference. We arrived there before 8am, and were allowed to check in early, the room was spacious and clean, staff so helpful and friendly. The receptionist even prepared a package of information for us.
My advice to anyone needing to stay near elyria, or sandusky is drive the extra 15mins and stay in possibly one of the best kept secrets this area has.

Stayed May 2007
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing BEST WESTERN Inn for your recent stay in our area.

1) Management was approached about what could be done to make late arriving guests feel more secure when entering our establishment.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training in their responsibility to maintain the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

3) Maintenance was instructed to repair the broken window in the room assigned to you.

NH Seacoast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

I stayed here overnight while my daugther was visiting Oberlin college. I arrived after 10 pm and was at first put off by the fact that I had to check in through a glass window, sliding my charge card to the staff person using a little tray like at the drive-in window of a bank. It made me think the location was not safe. The main lobby area was locked.

My room was fine. The bathroom was quite clean. The hotel had advertised wireless internet connection, but the signal was low and erratic. Fortunately, the hotel had provided a network cable in the room, and that worked. In the morning I used the exercise room - it had a treadmill, a bike, and a stair-stepper and it was very warm. The breakfast was adequate - cereals, breads, and beverages.

As I drove back to Oberlin the next day, I noticed the Super 8 down the street looked just as good, and it might have been cheaper.

• Liked — clean bathroom
  • Disliked — checking in through a glass window
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn? Share your experiences!