“Locked Out!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
chicago
“Locked Out!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here during parent orientation at Oberlin. It was a nice room...no complaints there. On the second evening I was a guest, the lock on my door malfunctioned. I went out to the hall to buy a bottle of water and the the key would not work when I tried to reenter. First I thought that it was just the card key and went to the desk to get another. That did not work either. They then thought it was the battery in the door, but I was told that there was no one there who knew how to fix it. The maintenance man was in the hospital and there was no one there who knew what to do. I was locked out without even my phone or car keys. I missed the evening program at Oberlin while waiting for another maintenance worker to come to the hotel to try and get the door opened. I could go on about the lengthy wait or the comedy of errors which ensued, but I did eventually get back in the room. When I asked how do I get back in if I leave, the front desk worker told me she would "tape the door" so it stays open. I said that that would mean that my room was to be left unlocked. She said that no one would know. Great. All I need is to be robbed on top of this. The front desk personnel kept telling me that it was not their fault and was very put out that they had to deal with the situation. She did offer $10 off the room, which I told her was poor compensation. I did end up getting half off the price, but after missing the concert and having to stand around for an hour and a half felt that the entire night should have been free. The fact that there was no one in the hotel who could deal with a door on a night that the hotel was full seems ridiculous. I understand the maintenance person was gone, but there should be a contingency plan. Maybe train the front desk so that they can get in if no one is on maintenance duty. I think that hoping a battery doesn't go dead in any of the guest rooms is not a plan. Just to add to it, the front desk personnel the next morning when I was checking out was laughing about it. It was not funny to me at all.

Room Tip: Make sure someone from Maintenance is available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sue R, Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
I am very sorry that you missed your son's program. It is the first time in years that the lock went bad when our maintenance man was not available. It was not the batteries. It was definitely a learning experience. I am sorry we learned something from your inconvenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband book this, not me. My husband has been working out in the DC area and we are from Chicago so we met half way and thought we'd go to Cedar Point too.

When we went to check in, there was an area where the hotel employee was able to have access to the customer without them coming into the hotel lobby. It was behind bullet proof glass. That should have been my first reason to leave.

We booked a non smoking room and received a smoking room. We had to have the room changed. The entire 2nd floor stunk! Again, second reason to leave, but we didn't.

Room was very outdated and looked like something from the 70's. Bedding was okay. Since we made reservations for three, they had only left three towels .... I couldn't believe it. I had always seen at least four towels at every hotel I have ever been to ... even when it was just my husband and I. Walls are very thin and we heard the partying going on in the next room for a majority of the night on Saturday.

My son got breakfast and said the eggs were horrible ... and he is not a fussy eater (he ate college dorm food for three years).

When we got back later on Sunday, there were about eight men/women in the parking lot drinking beer next to their motorcycles. Reason #3 that I should have not stayed here. They were loud for about an hour or so. Our room faced the parking lot so we were able to hear them.

Again, we heard the party people in the room next door on Sunday night.

We asked for a later check out and received one. At 10 am, we heard the door open. It was housekeeping seeing if we were still there. She said the main desk never told her we had a check out. I asked for extra towels and was told they didn't have any clean ones left. REALLY? What kind of hotel doesn't have clean towels available???

I would never stay here again. This area is a good half way meeting point for my husband and I, but would find a nice place. It also seems to be in a seedy part of town too.

Room Tip: Stay across the street at the Country Inn & Suites.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I am very sorry you had a experience with us.

Travelers are raving about these Elyria hotels

Ankeny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were just travelling through the area so only stayed one night. Hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable. A hot breakfast was available but the hot items were not replenished when they ran out. So, I suggest you go down for breakfast early if you are interested in the hot items. Pretty good selection for a free breakfast. Room was big and free internet was a nice perk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Sue R, Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
san lorenzo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stay here while taking my son to the Oberlin Conservatory. Have stayed here over 15 days in 3 trips, What is remarkable is the staff has been the same each time, and they actually remembered me. The staff is friendly, both front desk and cleaning, and they make you feel welcome. They are remodeling their breakfast area to seat more guests, and they are trying to improve the fare they serve. The location is great, the rooms clean, and the beds comfy. For the dollar a great place. I'm planning on staying again in a few months.

Sue R, Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We enjoyed having you as our guest.
SF
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you want to sleep with cockroaches, stay here. I found them in my bed. They gave us a different room, but you know they're everywhere. They should have changed our room and comped us the first night at the least.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Sue R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. We had the exterminator out the next day and had that room sprayed, he did not find anything though.
Xenia, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I arrived, with my two grandchildren, early Saturday, August 17, 2013. We were assigned room 128. After entering the room we found dirty church related T-shirts and socks in the top drawer and left over food items in the refrigerator. I reported this information to the office clerk.
As you can imagine, it was not a good way to relax away from home.
The next morning I indicated to the office clerk (same person) that I wanted to speak with the manager regarding the clothing/food issues. She did attempt to contact the manager, however, was unable to do so. The indicated that she could give me a $7 discount, however, I stated to her that I would prefer to speak with the manger. I then requested that the manager contact mt and the clerk stated that she would. It did not happen.

Annapolis, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed 1 Sunday night in a room with 2 queen beds. The room had recently been redone and was updated and clean. The beds were comfy and the room had a microwave, frig, and flat screen TV. Breakfast was hot and more than adequate. We would recommend it and will stay there again in our travels on the Ohio Turnpike.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue R, Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope to see you soon.

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn? Share your experiences!