“Ok breakfast if no tour buses” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
Edwardsburg, Michigan
“Ok breakfast if no tour buses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at Country Inn and Suites for two nights in a one bedroom suite for our teen's visit to Oberlin. I was expecting it to be quite nice given the reviews. On the plus side, the king bed in the bedroom was comfortable although once we removed the bedspread/comforter there was only a sheet and no blanket. The sofa bed in the living area was very lumpy and uncomfortable.
A lot of noise came in from the hallway especially as there was a tour group in the hotel and the leader kept knocking loudly on one door after another in both the evening and the morning. Although the breakfast bar was fairly extensive, on Saturday morning the food was pretty much all gone at 8 AM because of the tour group and it wasn't replenished by the time we had to leave for Oberlin. There weren't even any cups for coffee/tea left. This was disappointing. I walked by the desk and there were other guests complaining that they had been waiting 20 minutes for food.
Another problem with the hotel is that it is fairly isolated/cut off by two highways so that it is difficult to get to any restaurants and once you navigate, they're places like Bob Evans and they seem to close early. The area around the hotel is fairly sleazy with a correctional facility next-door and an 'adult' store just down the block. If we go back, I'll try to stay at a hotel on the other side of the highway, more convenient to restaurants and shops.
My guess is that the hotel would have been a better experience if not for the tour group, which seemed to overwhelm the staff and breakfast situation and resulted in a fair amount of noise. I still don't think it lives up to other recent comments but it probably would have gotten another star from me if not for the particular situation when we stayed.

Room Tip: Unless you absolutely have to have a separate bedroom, I'd probably choose a single room with tw...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Elyria, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I regret hearing of the inconveniences you experienced while visiting us. Our breakfast staff plans ahead and prepares for our busier days because we thrive on providing every guest a delicious breakfast to start their day off right, and I do apologize that the task escaped us during your stay. I have shared your review with our staff to ensure similar situations do not occur again in the future. I understand the frustration you must have felt when venturing out for shops and places to eat, I agree it can be quite a challenge. Everyone is looking forward to the improvements the road crews are bringing to our area that will eliminate the need of the bridge that accesses the North side of the highway where our local restaurants and shopping mall are located. I can assure you that although the location of our neighboring building may cause a little concern for a few visitors, we have never experienced any negative interactions from there. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites, Elyria OH, we appreciate your business and look forward for the opportunity to exceed your expectations on future travel needs.
Michele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
apple creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Every staff person I encountered was very kind, helpful and friendly. The place is very clean & the chocolate chip cookies at the front desk were so yummy!! Lots of choices for breakfast. Not one complaint! Would highly recommend it!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Elyria, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. I am pleased to know that you had a clean and comfortable stay. Your compliments of our staff's service is appreciated and will be passed on to them. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the cookies and we look forward to assisting you again on future stays.

Elyria, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed last night 7 people in 2 rooms. The hotel was awesome, the staff were all very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were nice sized. But I have to say I couldn't believe my eyes when we went downstairs for breakfast, the food choices were amazing for a free breakfast from a hotel! And there were glass plays and actual silverware! Eggs, sausage, potatoes, cereal yogurt, waffles, fresh fruits and more! Now I know elyria isn't the best area but country inn you guys are doing it right!

• Stayed March 2014
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Elyria, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites Elyria, OH we wish to thank you for taking the time to write such kind words about your recent stay with us. I will be sure to share your compliments with our staff. I am pleased to hear that you and your family experienced a welcoming, clean and comfortable stay. We thrive on providing our guests with a quality breakfast to help start their day off right, and it's delightful to read you enjoyed our Be Our Guest Breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to the area.

Many thanks,

Albion, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We spent 6 nights here and had several rooms. My cousins and all our kids were with us. The staff was very sweet to our kids in the lobby. They would get out games for them, bought them suckers, gave them toys and didn't mind them hanging around. We had multiple people come in for my cousin's funeral and they gave us a good deal on the price. They suggested places to take the kids for free.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Elyria, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites Elyria OH, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that our staff was able to provide comfort to you and your family during a difficult time. It was our pleasure to have you as our guests and hope to get the chance to see you again during happier travels.

Regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This hotel has both smoking and non-smoking rooms, but they are on top of each other. Our room REEKED of cigarette smoke! Friends on another floor said the same thing.
The breakfast buffet is gross. Eggs are rubbery and tasteless. Not much selection - mostly cold cereal and dried out bagels.
Do NOT stay here!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Elyria, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites Elyria, OH we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. We regret hearing that you were not satisfied with the “Be Our Guest” Breakfast. Our goal is to ensure fresh food is provided and that each item is available for all of our guests. I have addressed your comments with our breakfast host to ensure the proper breakfast items are being offered while maintaining quality. In regards to the odor I do understand your frustration when expecting to step into a non-smoking room and being overwhelmed by the smell of smoke. We try to maintain the odor from the other smoking rooms by using a de-smoking machine and spraying special fragrances, unfortunately despite our best efforts the smell still sometimes tends to travel through to the neighboring nonsmoking rooms and hallways. I am pleased to say we have begun converting all of our smoking rooms to non-smoking rooms to become a smoke free hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write your review as it gives us the opportunity to correct any deficiencies we may have in our service, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure similar situations do not occur again in the future.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our Thanksgiving drive to the midwest. We found the lobby with the fireplace warm and welcoming. I could have done without the candy dish and cookies at the front desk, but my husband and daughter thought they were cool. Check in was friendly and efficient. We reserved a suite and we were thrilled with the size and the layout. The bedroom had a door and our daughter had her own "room" in the livingroom with the pull out and her own tv. The refrigerator and microwave were convenient. Overall it was very clean, but the bathroom grout could have used a refresher. There were also a couple of small stains on the sheets. They were clean, but looking at the stains was a turn off and I think they should throw out sheets if they don't come clean. The pool was nice and warm. The hottub was nice as well. We were quite impressed with the breakfast. There was everything from oatmeal, boiled eggs and cereals to hot eggs, potatoes and fresh waffles. It was staffed by a very friendly person making it even that much more enjoyable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Elyria, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. Our guest rooms are to be cleaned at a level of high standards and it is prohibited at our hotel to take short cuts or provide less than excellent cleaning services. I regret hearing of your dissatisfaction in the cleanliness of the grout and the condition of the linen. I apologize for any inconveniences, and will discuss these conditions of your room with our housekeeping staff. I assure you we are working diligently to ensure similar situations do not occur again in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I booked this a couple days ago. I called tonight to cancel because I can't get there because of the snowstorm. Their response was too bad. No return of the money...not even an offer of a credit. And they were incredibly rude. I booked this through a platinum card and their travel representative couldn't believe it themselves but they called and confirmed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Elyria? Share your experiences!