“Loved the food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Nashville, Indiana, United States
“Loved the food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

The waitress we had was great and made an excellent recommendation from the menu. I ate the Carmela's Chicken and asked for some sun dried tomatoes on it and it was excellent. I highly recommend it!

Visited February 2012

Dublin OH
“Macaroni Gruel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Have to agree with the reviewer from October 2011. ("I wouldn't return . . . ")

The restaurant wasn't that crowded, but the service was slow and unresponsive.

My wife chose a chicken pasta with tomatoes. The chicken was tough and dry, and the pasta was covered with canned tomatoes (in place of an actual sauce).

I had the salad of spinach and shrimp. The four shrimp were cold and rubbery. The spinach was flat -- no body or flavor.

But the ambience (and water) was first rate.

The dinner came to $50 and was not worth it at all.

We won't be going back and would recommend instead going Mexican at Casa Patron across the street.

Visited February 2012
Columbus, Ohio
“Wouldn't go back...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

I ate here using a gift card I received from work. Thank God I didn't actually have to pay for the meal because it was awful. I remember going to this same macaroni grill a few years ago and enjoying it but this time it wasn't good. The service was also extremely slow and it was not crowded at all. I ordered the penne rustica and it was a rubbery, dry, tough mess of penne pasta. It had 3 shrimp in it, one of which still had the tail which was annoying in a pasta dish. It was also supposed to have chicken and was described as being made with cream and Parmesan. There was barely any sauce to speak of just dry and rubbery. My husband ordered a flat bread which was ok but nothing special. The only things that were good was the water and bread. I didnt complain about the food since we were using a gift card and after seeing other peoples' dishes around us, I doubt complaining would've changed anything. I would suggest going across the street to Casa Patron if you like Mexican instead.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Parkersburg, West Virginia
“Started Great... then crashed and burned.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

This was my first time eating at a Macaroni Grill. After view the menu online myself and my family were very excited to dine at a restaurant with such a diverse menu.

We arrived at the restaurant shortly after 6PM on a Saturday night. We were told that there would be a 25 minute wait which we felt wasn't at all excessive. We enjoyed sitting in the waiting area from which we could watch the cooks preparing the dishes. After a little over 30 minutes we were seated.

Our server arrived promptly and filled us in on the specials for the evening. He poured our water and was very pleasant. He returned with bread, prepared the dipping olive oil, and took our orders. The bread was AMAZING. Shortly thereafter we received our appetizers. We ordered the Baked Prosciutto & Mozzarella as well as the Shrimp, Cannellini Bean & Avocado Crostini. They arrived promptly and were both absolutely delicious. Shortly after the appetizers is where things went horribly wrong.

As we sat at our table we couldn't help but to over hear what was unfolding at the table next to us. A patron had ordered a simple bowl of Fettuccine Alfredo. While eating her past she found a bug in the sauce. A silverfish to be specific. The waiter apologized and took the plate away returning shortly with a new bowl of pasta.

While this was unfolding we waited, and waited, and waited for our entrees. Over a half an hour to be exact. The waiter returned and told us that they were just waiting on the pepperoni pizza and it should be done momentarily. A few minutes later he arrived at the table with our dishes. My mother-in-law split the Primo Pepperoni Pizza with my daughter, my wife ordered the Wild Mushroom & Goat Cheese Flatbread pizza, and I ordered the Chicken Marsala. I ordered Chicken Marsala. The pizza's were fine but the flatbread pizza was a bit on the cool side.

My Chicken Marsala was served with cremini mushrooms and capellini. I put my fork into the capellini and found that it was one solid mass. When I picked my fork up all the pasta came with it and held the same form as it had on the plate. Obviously this had been sitting for quite some time. I felt the chicken and it was cold. Not warm, not room temperature, COLD. I was shocked.

I called the waiter over, he apologized and took my plate and told me that my re-fire would take priority. It must have because he returned in just 5 minutes. The pasta when he returned was fresh and hot. The chicken was hot as well, but it became very apparent when I cut into it that it was the same chicken just reheated. It was horribly dry and very tough. He returned and asked me how everything was. I replied, well, the chicken is very tough and dry, but at this point I'll take it. He apologized once again and asked if I would like anything else off the menu. At this point we had already been there for 2 hours and I replied, no, that I will just stick with what I have.

About 10 minutes later, John, the manager came to our table to apologize for the meal. He said to me that due to the quality of my meal and the long ticket time for the entire table that he would be picking up the tab and asked if we would like to have some desert on the house. I thanked him and we accepted his offer for desert.

We ordered desert, and once again waited 20 minutes for it to arrive. For desert? Again a bit shocking in my opinion. We enjoyed our desserts and I excused myself to the restroom. When returning to the table my wife asked me if we were putting the meal on our debit card or our credit card? My response was, "What do you mean?" She told me that the waiter returned with the tab and that the manager had only picked up my meal. This confounded me because that is not what I understood him to say. I understood him to say that he was picking up the entire tab. Why else would he have talked about how long all of the entrees took to come out? I paid the tab, tipped the waiter and we left.

I do want to be very clear about one thing, the service of our waiter was excellent. He was very professional while dealing with other people's mistakes. Other than the appetizers he was the only positive during this visit.

I do not plan on returning to Macaroni's and would not recommend it to anyone. It's such a shame because it started out on such a high and ended on such a low.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, West Virginia
“Great Food Great Service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Ate here about a month ago on a weekend trip to Columbus, OH....We had our 2 year old son with us and they did great with him. There was no wait and the food was great, as was the service. Katherine was our waitress....We would definitely eat here again....We chose it primarily by convenience, our hotel was right beside the restaurant.

• Visited July 2011