“Couldn't Pay Me To Go Back....not that I'm welcome....” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Columbus, Ohio
“Couldn't Pay Me To Go Back....not that I'm welcome....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I were meeting 4 of our other girlfriends at 101 on a Wed evening. We got there about 15-20min after our other friends had been there and luckily they were able to snag the big long table in the bar area next to the fireplace which was nice. Even though we had to share the table with 4 guys, they didn't seem to mind at all and said they couldn't even hear our conversations because the bar area was completely packed and very loud & noisy. I guess the server who greeted them and sat them was ticked off because at first she tried seating them in the restaurant area but when she said there was no appetizer or drink specials, my friends told her they then wanted to be seated in the bar area instead. That's when they asked the other guys if we could share the big table with them. Our waitress seemed put out that she had to yell to us to take our orders and that we were sort of yelling back our drink & food orders...mind you it was completely packed in there & very loud and she was not knowledgeable about the beers on tap at all and what was actually available. She probably had too many tables to wait on because it took forever to get our drinks so one of my girlfriends decided to order 2 drinks at a time which I thought was genius. Our waitress seemed totally put off at the idea but did indeed bring my friend 2 drinks, but when I asked for the same, I was completely denied so I waited another 15-20min for my only 2nd glass of wine in about an hour. After our meals arrived, I saw one of my girlfriends talking to the wiatress about her order not being right which put another scowl on the waitresses face. About 10 minutes later, I see not only our waitress walk over to us but she's with another gal, who turned out to be the owner. They both asked my 2 girlfriends to leave the restaurant, claiming that they were being too loud and obnoxious. Now mind you, I am sitting across from them the entire time, and couldn't even hear what they were talking to eachother about. I even once again, asked the guys sharing our table if we were being too loud or obnoxious and they said NO again. We were all in complete shock at this point not understanding what any of us had done. Of course, the rest of us weren't going to stay if 2 of our friends were being basically escorted out. And then once my 2 girlfriends started to ask questions and actually stick up for themselves, that's when the owner gal threatened to call the cops on all of us...seriously. It was the most ridiculous scene I have ever been involved in. And what put me over the top me was the owner kept saying very loudly to me and my girlfriend who I arrived late with, because we were the last to pay our bills and leave the place, "do you need me to call you two a cab?". Are you serious....we only had two glasses of wine each in about a 2 hour period and I let the entire place know that. She was obviously embarrassed about my other girlfriends sticking up for themselves so she had to make it look like we were some out of control drunk girls. I was completely appaled by the owner's behavior. I was really hoping she would call the cops so she could explain that she kicked us out for asking to be seated in the bar area, having to yell our food orders to our unhappy ,overstressed waitress, complaining about a wrong food order and then ordering 2 drinks in a 2 hour period. My goodness were we out of line or what. This place might have decent food but the service is DEPLORABLE!!!!! There are a million other places in this great city of ours that have both great food and great service that aren't over-priced. Save your time and money.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Massachusetts
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

101 Beer Kitchen is one of the best restaurants. Reviews indicated that the restaurant got quite busy especially on week-ends so we arrived early (5:30) on a Saturday night. We found two seats at the bar and were immediately greated by a very knowledgeable bartender. My husband had a coffee stout and a vanilla stout which he said were amazing. Ok...I took a couple sips and had to agree. I was doing the Pump and Run at the Arnold the next day so I was limiting my alcoholic intake.

We started with the Pierogi's. Very delicious and flavorful. The bartender recommended the tater tots but we declined. However, when a couple next to us ordered them we wanted to ask for a taste. They looked so good. The main courses did not disappoint. My traveling companion had the Green Chili and I had the Shrimp and Grits. I sampled the Green Chili. The pork was tender and flavorful. The Shrimp and Grits was one of the best dishes ever. Five nice large flavorful shrimp, andouille sausages and creamy grits just went together so well. The sausage added a pleasant kick to the dish.
It did become quite busy but we never felt rushed. The noise level went from quiet to on the loud side but wasn't obnoxious.
I highly highly recommend this restaurant. It is what a dining experience should be...

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ohio
“Nice Atmosphere and Pretty Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Went here on a weeknight for dinner with our son. We got there early so it wasn't crowded. Our server was very knowledgable about the food selections and made suggestions. She explained that the menus change seasonally. The decor was rustic and warm. It began to get crowded around 5:30. Our server said that it often is crowded about that time. My husband and I ordered the 101 burger and my son ordered the beef stew which were both tasty. The menu is not exhaustive so it is easy to make a choice. I would go back again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Marysville, Ohio
“Wow! Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The food was yummy! We all especially loved all the flavors in the perogi appetizer. I ordered the shrimp and grits. It is good to finally find this in the North after my falling in love with it in the South last year. The Sea Salt caramel pot de creme is my new favorite dessert! Definitely call ahead as the wait was 2 hours for those who did not call ahead. Our wait for call ahead was 45 mins...you can taste the different drink choices. Our waiter was very educated on the beers and how to pour it. We were there on a Saturday night and it was pretty loud in the event you are looking for a quiet place. It was very lively and just what we were looking for!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“Heavy, greasy food; overpriced wine”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Nondescript bar/restaurant with painted plastic fake wood beams. Tried it for a family lunch. There were several families with kids so it is a family-friendly place. The menu is kind of creative -- andouille, haricot vert, beet chips -- but my goodness, everything we ordered was heavy and greasy. French fries were not crisp but were dripping with grease. Even soups, sandwiches, and veggies that one does not normally think of as high fat were just drenched in grease or butter. There's not a single item on the menu (including one vegan sandwich) that's not greasy.

Wines are overpriced -- more than $8 a glass average.

Service was prompt and friendly.

No carpet or other sound absorbent materials so it's not a quiet place, especially with the Muzak (sort of rock?) in the background.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere