“Very dissapointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pacer Inn and Suites

You added Pacer Inn and Suites to your Saves list
Pacer Inn and Suites
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   259 S. Sandusky St., Delaware, OH 43015 (Formerly Campbell House Motel)   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Delaware
Davison, Michigan
“Very dissapointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I reserved two adjoining king rooms for Sept. 18th. Paid for with a credit card, a week in advance. When we arrived that evening, they informed us they only had a reservation for 1 room. I had a copy of the confirmation printed out stating the 2 king rooms were reserved and paid for and they refused to honor the reservation. They said they could only give us 1 room with 2 queen beds, which would not work for us. The clerk told me she could not understand how this could happen as they could only book the adjoining rooms together. This happened during The Little Brown Jug week (think the Kentucky Derby of harness racing) there was not a room to be had in Delaware. I had to get on a computer and find rooms in Columbus myself, no thanks to the clerk. I will never stay here again as I think this is a terrible way to treat a guest with paid reservations! I guess a paid confirmation number means nothing here. We go to Delaware every year for The Jug with a large group of horsemen, and in the future will be letting them all know this hotel will not honor reservations during this week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ashley B, Manager at Pacer Inn and Suites, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed in your stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience while you were trying to check in. I appreciate that you took the time to write us a review, and just want to let you know that I am truly sorry the mess up. We were experiencing some technical difficulties that night, as our old system was trying to update itself and would not let us see the online bookings, only the ones who called or personally came in and made the reservation. With that being said, we are currently using a new system that allows every interaction online to be placed directly onto our screens so we can see when you're coming in and which rooms you will need. I do want to take the time to apologize if you thought the clerk was rude. We take pride in the people who work here, and I can assure you that everyone was courteous and did everything they could to assist you in you dilemma. The clerk even went so far as to use her personal cell phone to call around the area trying to find you a hotel for your stay. And I can promise you that we never ever "do this on purpose" as you stated to the clerk that night. We are a people oriented business and always try to as professional as can be.
Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to turn your opinion of us around sometime.

Pacer Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Palo Alto, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The Pacer Inn was the most elegant place of the 11 motels I stayed in this trip. The breakfast buffet was carefully and beautifully arranged. However, the wi-fi signal in my room was irregular, and there was a periodic mechanical, high-pitched whine coming from machinery in the next room. It didn't wake me up if I was already asleep, but it was annoying when I was awake. Otherwise, this would have been one of my favorite motels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

5 stars. And by far the best and cleanest of any in a 20 mile radius. Staff is always courteous and friendly, and you can't beat the value. The price is just right for either one night or an extended stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I'm a B&B guy and stayed at the Pacer Inn only because Delaware is a small town with only one B&B. But the Pacer impressed me. I got to have windows that open and cleanliness and this place passed my scrutiny with flying colors. I haven't stayed at a motel in decades but the Pacer is a completely remodeled place with very tasteful decor, non-smoking, and bath tubs (!) - a plus for me. It wasn't noisy at all either. The staff was sincerely nice - everyone. Nice breakfast stuff as well for the guests - fruit, etc.

Overall I cannot say enough good things about my experience. The Pacer may not have converted me back to liking motels/hotels, but I will definitely stay there again. A+ experience. Stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Zanesville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Every year we go to Jeff's Jam Outdoor music festival in Downtown Delaware, Ohio. We live an hour away and we generally need to find a place to stay. The pacer inn & Suites is a sponsor of the festival, so we decided to give it a shot. How relieved and happy we were to find the room very spacious, affordable and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We plan to go to Jeff's Jam every year, so we will be back to the Pacer Inn & Suites!

Room Tip: We did not inquire about a pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Pacer Inn was clean, the staff was very friendly and the rooms were large and had all of the amenities such as a coffee maker, toiletries and a nice flat screen TV. I requested a mini fridge for our room and it was there before I could retrieve my bags and get to the room. They voluntarily provided me with a microwave as well. This motel was merely a 5 minute walk to the main campus of OWU and downtown with plenty of parking. The room itself was very clean and the beds were comfortable. For less than $90/night, I considered the Pacer Inn to be a great value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tallmadge, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stay in Delaware several times a year, as my spouse was born and raised there, and we visit family. Many years ago we stayed at the Campbell House when it was on its downfall. On this trip, all our usual hotels were booked, and our relative mentioned that the old Campbell House had been reopened. We researched it online, and voila! It was reasonably priced, very clean, the decorating very nice, wonderful, friendly staff (both housekeeping and desk staff professionally dressed appropriately for their jobs; i.e., for an indepenent hotel--no jeans and t-shirt for the housekeeping staff, no too-casual looks for the desk staff), and a very comfortable bed. Amenities have the usual--flat screen TV (didn't notice what some are calling "limited channels"--which were definitely more than the 7 mentioned elsewhere--we had enough to find something interesting to watch), toiletries, abundant, neatly displayed linens, hairdryer, in-room coffeemaker, etc. No minifridge or microwave in our standard room, but we knew that going in and it wasn't important to us on this trip.

I felt this was sort of retro experience, as the rooms have maintained their "50's-60's" configuration; i.e, some doors opening right into the parking lot (ours had an interior entrance), a nice-size window in the sitting area, plus a bathroom window, and I liked that as a change. Nice, bright rooms. The sink was outside the shower/toilet area, which was nice in the a.m. with two people getting ready for the day.

We did have an issue with the electronic keys seeming to "lose" their code--one would work, one wouldn't, we would get the non-working one re-encoded and the formerly working one wouldn't work. A housekeeping staff member saw our dilemma and went out of her way to notify the front desk that we were having an ongoing problem. (Which wasn't a really big problem for as we were about 50' from the front desk). The key thing did happen a couple times, but it's apparently a computer glitch and truly didn't cause us a big inconvenience in our limited stay...as long as we had one working key we were fine. It may have been an isolated incident. As long as we could easily reach a staff member to help us gain access to our room, it wasn't a big deal.

The breakfast was advertised as "continental," which, of course, is not a full breakfast. It consisted of bagels, toast, mini-muffins, cereal, oatmeal, apple and orange juice, coffee, and yogurt. Basically all that was missing from the chain hotel breakfasts was eggs, meat, etc. Again...it was substantial, well presented, and served the purpose.

The night we stayed there the hotel was very quiet, no loud guests, no unsavory characters hanging around, and I overheard the manager telling another guest that they are working hard to establish a "new" reputation to overcome the final "down days" that were characteristic of the former Campbell House. I'd say they are succeeding.

I was very impressed with the property and the management and staff. The only bad thing is that I'm sure these rooms will be snapped up as the reputation gets around, and we won't be able to book a room when we want it!

Room Tip: There are rooms that open into an interior corridor and those that open directly into the parking lo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pacer Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!