“Comfortable, delicious, and friendly!” 5 of 5 stars

You added White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast
29683 Walhonding Road (State Route 715), Danville Knox County, OH 43014   |
west central Ohio
“Comfortable, delicious, and friendly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Our weekend stay at the White Oak Inn included a comfortable bed, delicious meals, and friendly hosts - just what we needed to make an otherwise gray December weekend a memorable get-away.

While not a modern facility, the inn has charm galore. It's a renovated old home complete with overstuffed chairs and a sofa in the parlor and oak woodwork throughout. It does, however, show its age in the smallness of the bathroom we had in our room, but it is what you would expect for a place that has tried (and succeeded) to maintain the old style with a nod toward modern amenities - one of which was a perfectly comfortable king-size bed.

But as nice as the home was, the meals were that much better. Our breakfasts were gourmet and, while not huge, were more than adequate to get us through till lunch. And if you're so inclined, I would highly recommend you arrange to eat an evening meal there as well. Although a bit more expensive than an average restaurant meal, it far outshines anything you could get nearby. Soup, salad, entre, and dessert - all specially prepared with fresh ingredients right in the kitchen, just steps away. The aroma fills the house each afternoon, and we could not wait to dive in. And if you're lucky enough to enjoy the wonderfuil company of other guests, as we were, it makes the meal all the more enjoyable. We wanted it to go on far longer than it did, and, although we sat and ate and visited for over two hours, it seemed like a much shorter time. (Thanks to our other guests for being such interesting dining companions.)

Although not directly in the heart of the so-called Amish Country, The White Oak Inn area does not lack for things to do. Ian proudly pulls out his lists of directions for driving tours that will take you to whatever you want to do - wine, cheese, crafts, shopping. And don't be fearful if you find yourself on a narrow dirt country road. It's all part of the experience, and the winery you'll find at the end of it is well worth the few potholes you might encounter.

All in all, our weekend at The White Oak Inn was a great way to recharge our internal batteries before the hubbub of the holidays. Thank you, Ian and Yvonne, for making us feel so welcome (and well-fed) during our stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Woiyvonne, Owner at White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you very much. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you'll join us again for another adventure in Ohio's Amish country. We're excited about the newly opened "Harvest at the Woodward", a local co-operative store opened in downtown Mount Vernon, offering locally produced goods, including farm-fresh produce, maple syrup, cheeses, fudge and candy, baked goods, organic meats and many other locally grown and made foods and handmade items,.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was our first visit to the inn. We actually stayed in one of the properties two Log Cabins. It was lovely, except for the terrible odor of the water. It had a little kitchenette, two person jacuzzi, king size bed and a lovely wood burning fireplace. But I found it difficult to get past the odor of the water, hence the lower rating. Inn owners said the odor "comes and goes". Other than that, breakfast both mornings was wonderful and the setting lovely. We took day trips to Longaberger Homestead & Roscoe Village.
I would recommend staying in the main Inn or the "chicken coop".

Room Tip: Choose the main Inn or the Chicken Coop versus the log cabin to avoid water odor issue unless it has...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at The White Oak Inn.
I apologize that you found the odor from the water unpleasant. We are working with our well company to try to identify the cause and correct it. As noted, it is not consistently there, which makes the task more challenging.
The log cabins are otherwise our most comfortable and luxurious accommodations, offering a relaxing experience with a very spacious living room and bedroom, fine linens, a stocked snack center, woodburning fireplace and two-person whirlpool tub.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Rooms, cousine, service and ombiance far exceeded expectations. The Inn keepers were friendly and see that every effort is made so that their guests feel welcome and comfortable. I will most certainly return.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This was our third time back and to say we enjoyed our selves is an under statement. The hosts and guest are always friendly. The food is more like a high end restaurant than an Inn. It was a relaxing three days that recharged our batteries. I wish I could go more often. They won't let you down.

• Stayed November 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Even though we stated upon arrival that my husband is very allergic to cats, the car roamed the halls and common rooms. They did remove it, upon a second request, but it was back roaming shortly thereafter. Ian told my husband that 'the cat lives here, too.' There was no mention of cats in the house in the onlilne information. This is the first bed and breakfast we have stayed in where we were made to feel that they were doing us a favor allowing our group to stay there. We were very disappointed with the lack of hospitality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Woiyvonne, Owner at White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I am so very sorry that this guest felt less than fully welcome at our inn. Although it happens infrequently it's always a disappointment to us when somebody's stay fails to meet their expectations.

The Inn is our personal home and that of our pets. We understand that some people have allergies or don't like pets, so we take special care to mention their presence in several places on our website, and as part of our reservation process, so that guests are making an informed decision about whether to stay here with pets in residence. Although we will try to remove the pets on request, keeping them restrained is a very difficult task, and as these particular guests discovered, you can't explain allergies to a cat!
Washington, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I wish there was some way to give less than a 1 dot review because the owner of this place couldn't have been more heartless and inhospitable. When we arrived to check in after a very long day of traveling at 8:40 pm the owner lead me to the cabin I'd booked for one night's stay. All properties remotely near the amish country were booked and this place was the only available that seemed decent (although for $240/night wouldn't normally book) When my husband brought our groggy, tired, 16 month son out of the car to the cabin, the owner said "this is a problem" we don't allow children; MUCH to my surprise. She threw us out. When I asked to see the inn policy she said I had to look on my computer, so I did. It says "the INN is NOT SUITABLE for children under 12" NOT the "private" cabins which are apart from the inn/house. AND, by the way, when you agree to the terms on checkout it does not say "NO CHILDREN." When I asked how she could be so heartless and discriminate against kids, she smugly replied "children aren't protected under the law" so DO NOT patronize this place, they advertise it's close-it's not- it's at least a half hour drive from amish country and the "private" cabins are right next to each other. parking stinks too. I have never been so disgusted with a place in my entire life and I've traveled the world.

Room Tip: do not stay at this place
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I'd like to thank this guest for pointing out that our inn is not suitable for families with young children. Many of our guests come here to enjoy quiet time alone together without children around. I make no apology for our policy of no children at the inn or for enforcing that policy consistently.

Although our policy about children is stated on the policies page of our website, as these guests have pointed out, it was not reiterated on our online reservation request form. I do apologize for that and will change the form to avoid future misunderstandings.

In this particular situation the guests were not forthcoming with the information that they were traveling with a toddler. When asked how many guests they answered TWO. When asked for the names of all guests they gave their own names. There was no mention of a third person or a third name, so it was a surprise to us when they arrived with a young child.

At that time we did the best we could with a difficult situation. Although the child couldn't stay here, I did offer to find them alternative accommodations and called a nearby hotel and booked them a room suitable for a family.

I'm sorry if the guest felt I was being smug when I answered her question.

I hope they enjoyed the rest of their stay in Amish country.
Tyrone, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were there on the first night of the presidential debate and we could barely see it on the pint size screen in our room. The dinner was very good but when the waiter realized that he had not brought plates for us to eat on I knew that all was not right. After the plates were brought I found out that they know how to cook there. Cornish game hens on a bed of orzo mixed with Parmesan cheese and shredded carrots was wonderful as was the nice assortment of cheeses on the appetizer platter. The breakfast featuring both a frittata and a blueberry pancake with powdered sugar were both wonderful. Outside the leaves were falling and it was a beautiful site to see. Probably the worst thing to happen was that I had taken an empty Vitamin Water bottle and filled it with water and a powdered drink mix and stuck it in the hall fridge to cool overnight. When I went to get it the next morning I found that another one of the guests though it was one of the free refreshments provided by the hosts. I hope they got my cold!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the reminder that we need to provide labels and marker pens for people to write their names on articles left in the refrigerator.

You'll be happy to hear that we recently upgraded the television sets in all the inn rooms.

I'm glad you enjoyed your meals during your stay. We take great pride in our food.

Been to White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!