“Love to stay for special occasions!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cuyahoga Falls
Augusta, Georgia
“Love to stay for special occasions!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I love to stay here for special occasions. The rooms are very spacious and always very comfortable! It can be loud from noise both inside and outside of the building. If your room is not down a hallway, it can be loud from noise in the center of the building. We love to stay on a Saturday night and get the Sunday brunch the next morning! The brunch is expensive but worth it!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Austinburg, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here one night this last weekend (first weekend of February 2013). We were in town for a sporting event our boys were participating in at the University of Akron. We booked a standard riverview suite, online. I believe we paid $177 with tax, etc. for one night. Proximity to the University of Akron was great, we were less than 10 minutes away. Also close to lots of restaurants on Front Street and also a mall nearby with tons of other restaurants to choose from.

Room: had a pullout sofa bed which the boys shared. There were no blankets or extra pillows to be found anywhere in the room, drawers or closet for use on the sofa bed, so I called down to the front desk around 4pm and was informed that housekeeping shift starts at 5 so it might be a little while and would it be okay if they came in the room and just dropped off the blankets, pillows, and extra towels (which I also asked for, there were 4 of us and only 3 bath towels supplied) I said that would be fine, we were heading out to dinner and were planning on later using the pool and hot tub on site. By the time we got back to our room for the evening I believe it was around 8:30, housekeeping had come through for us.

I was a little surprised to see how stained the carpet was in various places in our room, and that there was some black mold in the shower, and cobwebs in the bedroom just over the bed. See pictures. There was a set of sliding doors which separated the bedroom from the rest of the suite, and those were broken and hanging off track. One of the closet doors was off track as well but not a big deal.

Suite includes a wet bar, microwave (we did not use) a mini-fridge (we did use but had to turn thermostat to a cooler setting, it was barely cool when i first opened it. Complimentary bottles of water are provided in room (we did not use, we'd brought our own stuff) and starbucks coffee for brewing which was nice.

There were 2 flatscreen tv's in the room that was great, when winding down for the night the kids could watch what they wanted and we hung out in the bedroom watching our TV - with the sofa pulled out there's really only room for one other person to sit in the main part of room - there's a chair with an ottoman and a desk w/ chair too but we'd moved the coffee table in front of that so couldn't really utilize at that time. The desk had some horrible scratches in it and had seen better days. Could probably just use some TLC.

The bathroom has a large counter with a huge mirror and one sink. There was a hairdryer in room, a normal one not the little ones you usually find attached to the bathroom wall. Did not use so can't comment on it. Another nice touch in the bathroom is a magnified shaving mirror.

Our bed was quite comfortable and i slept well, pillows were great, sheets and blankets soft and nice quality we had no complaints about the bed. I did not experience any back pain when i woke up so that's a good sign. Room temp was kind of hard to control it did get warm in there overnight - i remember kicking off a blanket - but it wasn't terrible. I think we were just too tired to get up and make any further temp adjustments.

I did read reviews of people complaining about the noise of the trains going by when in a riverview room. We were in room 243. The view of the river is pretty cool, and you can hear it from inside the room, but i found it comforting, as i love the sound of water. Despite being on a busy street near a highway, we were not bothered much by the sound of traffic. When we went to bed we did hear one siren - probably a police car pulling someone over, but that was brief and not a big deal and wasn't in the middle of the night we were still awake. Nothing woke me up in the middle of the night. Did hear a train maybe once or twice but it was hardly an annoyance or bothersome. We live in a town where you can hear the train whistles off in the distance, this was closer yes, but not bad. I guess if that sort of thing would bother you either bring your white noise machine or don't get a riverview room. I suppose keeping the blinds closed in your room can also help with some of the outside noise.

We were fortunate that we did not hear a lot of noise in the hallway at night, many hotels the guests are just rude and loud and obnoxious when walking down the halls, we must've lucked out being at the end of the hallway even with an ice machine nearby we didn't have to deal with loud and rude guests walking around the halls.

The pool area was fine, the hottub could have been set at a higher temp but that's just my personal preference. We didn't use the pool but our boys did and they of course enjoyed it. The policy of hotel is that children under 16 cannot utilize the pool area without adult supervision, but there were 3 children using the pool without any parents of their own around and they were roughhousing quite a bit in the pool. No one said anything and i only once saw a hotel employee enter the pool area while we were down there. There is a sauna but we did not use. Towels are provided for guest use at the pool but they are tiny - i usually bring my own anyway. there are tables and chairs set up around the pool area which is nice, and the pool is open til 11pm, quite later than you usually see at a hotel so that was nice.

My only interaction with any hotel staff was when i called down to ask for pillows blankets and towels. My husband checked us in but he didn't comment either way about the experience and i didn't ask, so it must have been uneventful since he didn't mention the experience to me. Never once during our stay were we acknowledged by any staff member, not even a hello or goodbye or anything, which i found odd but it didn't bother me. Checkout we did on our own using the feature on the TV in room - we use that as often as we can when hotels offer it, it makes getting out so much easier and you just leave your keys in the room.

parking is on site and free, and they do offer valet parking. There is a restaurant and bar at the lower level of hotel (we did not use either, and had not read any stellar reviews of the restaurant so we skipped it). Room service is available but we did not use. We understand there is a breakfast available but unfortunately it was served too late for us to try. On the weekends it starts at 7am, and we had to be at our location by 7. We planned ahead for this and brought donuts, pastries and juice of our to feed us before we left.

I would probably stay here again if we have another sporting event at UofA to attend. No serious complaints, I just don't expect to see cobwebs and mold in the room of ANY hotel i stay in, no matter what you pay per night for the room. I find it appalling and that was my only complaint.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very disappointed in a recent stay we had here with our kids. After switching rooms because we were put in 232 which is right next to an electrical room, we were given a room on the same floor as several sports teams and didn't get to sleep until well past 3am (after driving 6 hrs to get there) because they were up in the halls all night. Woke up at 6 to the worst smell of fried onions ever, almost as if the kitchen ventilation was pumped into our suite... Nothing like having to take all our coats to the dry cleaners to get the smell out. Rooms are a decent size however when "updating" a hotel even the small details matter. Dirty carpets and peeling wallpaper; worst of all were the bloodstains on bed spread and yellowing pillows. Waited nearly 30 mins for someone to bring us linens for the pull out (which had some questionable stains on the underside of the cushions) and worst of all was the customer service. My husband went to retrieve a bell cart for our luggage as travelling with small children is no easy task, there were none to be found. He asked at the desk only to be told they were likely all being hoarded in rooms and that it was always like that. He asked about getting some assistance and was told they don't offer that on weekends. He waited a further 45 mins before giving up and actually used the rolling office chair to cart it all down. When we checked out, we were asked to pay first without seeing the bill. My husband requested to look at it first and we were surprised to see 2.50 for local calls (dinner reservation 3 miles away). I could have sworn I read free local calls and wifi as well as a complementary business centre... Seems petty to charge for a couple 1 minute phone calls... We asked to see a manager but again were told they don't have one on weekends.

Room Tip: Dont take 232
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Oakboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I am a business traveler who stayed in this hotel for many weeks. The rooms are large and fairly comfortable; however, the place is loud, needs some serious attention, and is clean only in the lobby. I asked for a room that had no pets since I have allergies. Of course, that didn't happen and I was up all night with a headache and sneezing. This place and lacks any real service. I moved to the Courtyard about 4 miles up the road and I am much happier.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stay here for weeks at a time due to my travel schedule. Rooms are not cleaned adequately (ever), response for requests to repair things is slow at best, and the food is overpriced and not very good quality. I have status at this hotel and yet I seem to get the worst room in the hotel. I tip well, ask for service instead of demand it, and treat everyone with respect. Yet it seems the nicer I am the poorer the service I receive. I stayed here only because my corporation gets a discount.

Room Tip: Don't get room 104, 204, 304, etc, because they are right next to the elevator. The riverside r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

It is interesting reading the previous reviews. I suppose it really does come down to personal opinion. Here is mine:

I was at this Sheraton for one night and it was fantastic. Check-in was easy and staff acknowledged my SPG status. I was given my room and then also told how to get there. I was told where I could eat (on and off property) and I was on my way.

When I got to my room, I was very impressed. I did not have a river view but it did not matter. The room was large with a separate bedroom, 2 tvs, wet bar, fridge, living room, and a small bathroom. However, outside of the bathroom was large vanity area with the closet. The room was warm (both in feel and in temperature on this cold night). I really have nothing to complain about.

The restaurant onsite is outstanding and the staff there are equally impressive. I really recommend this location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Checked in on Friday January 4th, for 2 nights, for a symposium my daughter was attending, 3 of us travelled, and as a SPG member, received an upgrade to their "Riverside View". What a great view from our 5th floor, HOWEVER.... it is not a small tranquil river, rather a rushing rapids river, just underneath Highway 8, and very close to a train line. It was very difficult trying to sleep with the rapids beating down, BUT, when the train came by at 2am, 3am and 4am, you may as well just pick up a book and read.
Went to the front desk early Saturday morning, and want to Thank the Front Desk Clerk (Andrea), who went out of her way to ensure I would get a different room that night, considering the hotel was totally sold out, got a room on the cityview side. What a difference, slept like a king that night.
One note, to also mention, the hotel accepts pets, as there was also a large dog show nearby, the hotel had many (counted at least 20), guests walking around with their dogs. This included the cute little poodles to full size dobermans. My question is to Management, do you not have a limit of rooms which are pet friendly? I am sure there are many allergens that may cause problems for future guests??

Room Tip: Ask for the Cityview Rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls? Share your experiences!