“Nothing to give thanks for” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Akron/ Fairlawn

Save Saved
You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Akron/ Fairlawn to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Akron/ Fairlawn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Montrose West Avenue, Copley, OH 44321 (Formerly Stay Place Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in Copley
Clarendon Hills, Illinois
“Nothing to give thanks for”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I booked the large 2 story suite for my family of 5 for the Thanksgiving weekend online several weeks before. When we arrived around 10:00 p.m. to check in on Thanksgiving eve I was told they had no reservation in my name. When I presented them with my printed confirmation they said that was the 2nd time that evening that a reservation made online was not in their system. After a 5 minute wait I was told they had my room available. However, when we got to the room and opened the door what we saw was a room that looked like it was trashed by a drunken rock band. The floor was covered in trash. The toaster was in the kitchen sink. The refrigerator and stove were away from the wall in the middle of the kitchen. Ther were no sheets on the bed. And there was bags of garbage in the room. I went back to the front desk to tell them what we found. We were told they did not have another similar room. They offered us 2 studio rooms for the same price but this meant splitting up my family. Given that it was late at night and we were in no mood to strart looking for alternative accomodations we agreed to take the 2 rooms. I asked if we could move into the room we originally booked the next day. I was told they weren't sure because they didn't think the cleaning crew would be in on the holiday.We now had to repack our car and drive to the other side of the property to our new rooms. When we got into one of the new rooms things still were not right. There were no bed linens for the pull out sofa. There was no toilet paper and we did not have enough towels. The TV got lousy reception. They also had free wireless internet access. However, they provide a piece of paper with the login and password that was unreadable. Overall, the property was run down, poorly run and one of the worst places I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have been staying in this long term motel for over 2 yrs. There are other choices within 1 block but this place has become a great 2nd home for me. In fact there are a number of people who have stayed here for very long periods. This motel includes all the amenities for a long term stay-laundry facilities and a small work out room (treadmill and exercise bike that have always worked for me). The staff makes a difference here-they are personable and do a good job of maintaining the property. A hot breakfast is served daily, newspapers available daily and there are cookouts,etc a couple times/wk. The ownership has changed once since I've been here and while I was concerned about that at the time it seems fine now. The mgr sets the tone and although there have been 3 in my time here-they are all friendly professionals. I have to pay my own travel expenses and find this to be an outstanding value. I always get the sm suite since its just me-but its the size is more than adequate with full kitchen facilities etc. It is an old Residence Inn but its kept clean with good supplies of towels, etc. It's very quiet (unless someone is loud on the floor above) and I sleep better here than I do at home.

Room Tip: 2nd floor doesn't have anyone above you and will be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Alamogordo, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 30 days, then returned to the area only to stay in another hotel down the street, I've compared the two hotels and must say "Stay Place" is by "far better", especially for a family just moving to the area. It's clean, the kitchen's are clean and very well equipped for preparing meals as we needed to do for a 30 day stay, they even have a dishwasher. Now this isn't a ritz carlton, I'd probably compare it to a boutique hotel but for long term. Pet friendly too, and the staff is actually very very friendly and will do what they can to help in any way. We have to go back to the area again for 10 days and have booked the Stay Place again so we don't have the expense and unhealthiness of eating out. Also the beds are comfy and rooms have good storage space.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks for work and was quite let down with the overall experience. First the outside grounds were badly need of fixing up. The building next to the one I was in stairway to the upstairs was one accidental push from falling down. This issue was not addressed the whole time I was down there. The pool area is very very small, not too inviting to hang out there. The room was dated, even though it had a kitchen the appliances were quite old. The ice maker in the freezer "did not work" I addressed this with the front desk. The tv was a old tube style that I couldn't hook my DVD player up to it. The wifi doesnt work outside of the lobby. They do have a lan hook up in the room but your confined to using it at the desk. My room had a funny smell to it until I ran the AC on high for a few hours. The staff that I dealt with was friendly. The Mexican restaurant across the street was the high point of my stay. Great food, staff, and affordable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was an excellent place for 2 person to stay and share the 2 bedroom/2 bath loft unit. It was well stocked with items both in the bath and the kitchen.
we stayed for 90 days. Staffs are very very helpful and friendly.
It was perfect for getting around in the Akron and Cleveland area. If returning to this area it is the only place we would stay. There were plenty of nearby restaurants to walk to and shopping was […] only a short drive away

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Very rude staff that were making personal phone calls while I walked in. Rooms were alright but I was completely put off by the service and the breakfast! Thisnlocation is excellent and i like to stay in thos area because of the proximity to the steakhpuses however I'm never staying here again!!!

• Stayed April 2012
Clinton, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We have stayed at this property 5-6 times over the last several years.The first 2 -3 years it was a Marriott and a treat for us to stay there. Marriott sold it and it's been going down hill ever since.
Well we did try it again. The rooms are still fairly nice but the service and amenities are still going backwards.
Front desk staff left much to be desired as far as attitude and helpfulness goes. They were unresponsive to housekeeping request, and 2 requests for towels for the pool. We had noisy neighbors above us (12:00 to 1:30 AM) and had to make 3 calls to the desk for assistance (one call was answered by a recording). There were also loiterers in the parking with loud music as well as extremely loud voices (I suppose they had to talk that loud to hear each other over the loud music).
The "Continental" breakfast is not! The breakfast from its sausage (the little round ones that are about 95% filler) to the canned fruit cocktail to the dried eggs were pitiful. The breakfast was about as substandard as it can get. It was horrible.
By the way, the pictures you see advertising this place are from the days that Marriot owned the property. There is no spa. It's been filled in and cemented over and the outside of the buildings sport peeling and fading paint and the pictures of the Continental breakfast in no way reflect what is now served for breakfast.
The property and service seem to be getting worse every year. We would consider going back because of the rooms and location but we will also search diligently for another place to stay next year.

Room Tip: Get a room in unit 1. It's close to the pool and the gate house.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Akron/ Fairlawn? Share your experiences!