“Eclectically Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Attractions in Conneaut
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
“Eclectically Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Absolutely the best winery I have visited in ohio and maybe east of the Mississippi. Read the other reviews and believe them. I would recommend calling ahead and if you ask, Arnie may even give you the dime tour of their traditional European wine cellar! Don't be put off by the back road, or that it doesn't look like your modern wineries, after all I am pretty sure that age and wine go pretty well together. Arnie the owner and Linda who takes care of the tastings are experts of the trade and will shoot you straight (my only beef is that he went to that school up north)! The wines were amazing, definitely a cut above many of the other area vineyards. A few other vineyard owners actually came by when we were there, shows you how they are respected in the area. Oh, and all of the grapes they use in their wine are 100% grown on site. Impressive!!

Mentor, Oh.
“Awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Great varietal wines that pair well with food. well balanced and crafted with a passion. My favorites are the Chardonnays reminisent of some of the fine wines of Chablis in France. Arnie is true to his craft. He respects the land and lets the grapes do their thing!

Cleveland, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
“Great wine, unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We spent the weekend bicycling, visiting covered bridges, and wineries. We planned to visit Markko winery during the bridge tour. We had always heard the wines were very good, but it's a bit off our beaten path. When we pulled in, it reminded us of the approach to the Armstrong Woods Redwood Preserve in Sonoma - very woodsy. As soon as we entered the tasting room, the owner walked in, on his way to tend a project in the vineyard. We had heard about how he pioneered the planting of vinifera grapes in this region, and starting making wines that were not sweet. We tasted several wines, bought some Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. The experience and the wines were priceless.

Visited September 2013
Anna, Ohio
24 attraction reviews
“The Best Ohio Winery and One of the Best in US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was our second trip to Markko Vineyards. Arnie Markko and his partner Linda run this Vineyard and Winery. Markko has been making Fine Wines (not fruity) but ones using European stock since 1968. The Ohio Wineries all speak fondly of Arnie since he not only was the Godfather but goes out of his way to help new Wineries and Vineyards. The first time I visited Markko, I had the same feeling - OMG what am I getting into - if you want a pretty place go to Debonne or some of the other wineries. If you want Koolaide they are plenty of wineries which will supply you. If you want to learn about wines, taste and buy some award winning wines try Arnie's. Most of the vintage is $25+. We tasted a 2009 Riesling which was just bottled this year - so Markko is more into quality than quantity. The grapes he grows goes into his wines and they are damn good. This one place I would not miss if I am going to any of the wineries in Michigan or Ohio. We tried a 2010 Chardonnay which tasted like he put a dab of butter with it. His Vintage Riesling, if you can get it , is great. We bought a bottle of the Riesling which he just bottled otherwise he has been sold out since last year. His late harvest chardonnay is soo good.
Some of the other comments are true, Linda is not real talkative, but Arnie makes up for it, The place isn't pretty, but I have been to places that were pretty and the wine had not Character or Body just a name and made for masses. I shouldn't give Markko so high a review because I want to be able to buy his wine - either on Internet or preferably in Person and you may get there first.

Visited August 2013
“Best wine...might get murdered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

With all the old world charm of a graveyard, Markko leaves a bit to be desired from ambiance but makes up for it in delicious wine. This place is not for the faint of heart. You will most likely be served by an indifferent contacerous delightful old woman who couldn't care less if you enjoyed wine or disco danced on the table, but if you do choose the wine she will serve you a large taster without a smile and its doubtful if she charges you a dime for it. She knows her wine and will shoot you straight with what's good and what isn't. You'll get no bull from her, but only a plethera of samples. As you turn off the paved road onto a gravel path don't be put off, and as you approach the dicrepit building know that you're in the right place. If you can overcome your fear you get when you look at the place, you will find the finest dry red and white wines in the region. This stuff is amazing! If you prefer sweeter wines, might I suggest you stay in the car with the doors locked and guard the car while your friends enjoy an amazing Chardonnay.