“Charming Historic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Charming Historic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Perfect location in downtown Columbus. Close to the river, restaurants, German Village and easy access to freeways.
The hotel is very smart, very friendly and has very comfortable rooms with updated shower.
I am sure I will stay here whenever I return to Columbus.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
HalleyKaras, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Pamlia,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We truly appreciate your business and value you as our guest. Your recommendation is invaluable and we promise to continue looking for new ways to surprise and delight you. We look forward to your next visit.

Halley Karas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Our wedding guests spent a weekend at the Westin and had to deal with late check-ins and the overwhelming smell of marijuana on the 3rd and 4th floors. Our parents received permission to put a 6-ft. Cutout of us in the lobby, but the Westin's wedding planner (blonde nameless female) who was hosting a wedding at the hotel verbally attacked them for the display acting like a foolish reality TV star from Bridezillas. The GM did apologize for her unnecessary and rude behavior as well as having the halls sprayed, but with children in the vicinity, it almost got turned over to the authorities. The stench was not at the fault of the hotel, but needed attention. Overall we enjoyed our stay and the room. Also, Lindsey and Kevin were excellent customer service reps, but we did expect flawless stays for guests and that simply wasn't five star treatment.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Westin Columbus. I am very sorry for the disappointing experience, both with the confusion with your cut out in the lobby and with the smell of smoke on your floors. I also apologize that I failed to resolve your concerns when we spoke while you were here; it was certainly my intention to ensure you left happy. Your satisfaction is incredibly important to us and we promise to continue to work to bring you back as our loyal guests.

West Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Overall the Westin was pretty nice - it's a historic property with a gorgeous lobby and I had a pretty good stay.

Two big minuses though: first - the location. This was my first time in Columbus so I didn't know where to stay and was pretty disappointed that there was nothing going on around the hotel. The Hilton a couple miles north on High street is a perfect location and I'll probably stay there next time instead.

Second, because it's a historic hotel it's hard to maintain it and keep it on par with modern properties. So, some things are worn out and awkward although I thought the property did a pretty good job working with what they had. Also, a little disappointed that my room was facing a brick wall although when I checked in I specifically asked and was told that the room was facing a park.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
HalleyKaras, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Westin Columbus. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself overall. Your comments are well taken and we appreciate your feedback. As a historic hotel, we have 19 different room types and over 100 different configurations. I would love to welcome you back and accommodate you in a room with a lovely view of the Columbus Commons. The CBus (a free trolley that loops Columbus hot spots) is a great way to stay with us and enjoy the Westin amenities, but still have easy access to great shopping and dining less than a mile away in the Short North.

Thank you again for your business and your comments. Please come see us again soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is an update of an earlier posting. I am revising my rating of this property from 3 stars down to 2. I have kept the original post below for all travelers to see. The reason for my updated post is because the General Manager of this property offered me 3000 Starwood points for our inconvenience during our stay. To be clear I did not ask for this, but I thought it was a nice gesture for our experience. Our stay was in April and the Starwood points have never been credited to our account. I have exchanged multiple emails with the General Manager asking about this and she says she will follow up and still nothing. I had an extremely favorable point of view on Westin previously, but this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. In our upcoming travels I will look to stay elsewhere.

Original Post
The friendly staff, nice workout room, and the historic property are the only things that keep this review from being 2 stars. While the front desk shared there was going to be a reception until midnight, they did not share the entire room would be vibrating from the music. Fortunately, we did not have our kids with us as that would have been miserable. My wife and I were out till 10:30, so we only had to deal with the intense noise for 90 minutes. I would expect a Westin property to convey at the time of booking that the noise level would be extremely high until midnight. We would have selected a different property. I would not stay here on the weekend unless you are part of the reception taking place. The staff did comp our breakfast which was nice, but we would have preferred peace and quiet in our room. Other reviews on the parking were helpful as we parked across the street for half the price of the hotel valet. If you are in Columbus for the weekend ask whether they are hosting a wedding reception and if they are stay elsewhere

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed in the Westin for a weekend in July 2014. Found the staff pleasant, friendly and efficient. Room was clean and comfortable. Food was very good. Would highly recommend it to anyone who wished to stay in a quiet and comfortable environment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Could NOT have been any happier with our experience working with the Westin Columbus. Professional and organized, our wedding reception went like clockwork. We had 30+ rooms of guests and every single person said their stay was wonderful. The hotel made them feel welcomed and the amenities were plenty to where they didn't have to leave the property!!! The location is right downtown which is perfect for guests from out of town to explore Columbus. It is minutes from the freeway so if your wedding is off site, it is very easy for guests to get where they need to go. Rooms were beautiful, clean, and the staff was over the top welcoming and helpful. Guests still bring the evening up to us when we see them!! The historic ballroom is absolutely beautiful, it provides a form of elegance that cannot be found elsewhere in central Ohio. We did a plated dinner which was also wonderful. Linsey Bruce was our coordinator on location for the Westin. She was great to work with and we knew everything would work out great in her hands. She was very organized, explained everything clearly, and was very helpful with suggestions. The evening and experience will be looked back on with amazing memories. Thank you Westin Columbus for the wedding reception/weekend of our dreams!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We also stayed for a wedding. Room was VERY small. But, It was immaculate. Bathroom was
standard size and likewise immaculate. But, the bar was the real gem. In between wedding
ceremony and reception we stopped in for a drink. They had prosecco by the glass. A big plus.
Beer was ice cold. Barman was super polite, not intrusive but genuinely nice. Next day we had
a hamburger. Fantastic. Close second to the hamburger at the Hilton in Washington DC.
Final stop was after reception for a nightcap. Irish coffee was delicious. We would definitely
stay there again, despite room size.

Room Tip: If you do not like your room, just ask the desk for a new one. They will accommodate gladly.