“We were treated so well...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #56 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
on the road
“We were treated so well...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were coming to Columbus for dinner for our anniversary, decided a few days ahead that we would spend the night if we could get a good deal.. Hotwire booked us at the Westin, and we had some concerns, since some reviews said that Hotwire visitors did not get great treatment. SO not the case. My husband called to note we would have a late arrival, and mentioned it was our anniversary. They upgraded us to a fabulous king suite, and had champagne chilling and a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries waiting. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the room perfect. They offer free internet during the weekend, and promptly brought additional coffee pods to our room. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade - you have nothing to lose...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
philbe64, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Traveler58ontheroad,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We value your review and are so pleased that we were able to add to your anniversary celebration. Please do come back again!
Director of Sales & Marketing and Interim General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Edgewood, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Do NOT stay on a low floor on the weekends. I stayed here on a Saturday night. Right when I walked in I could hear all of the noise from the wedding that was happening one floor up. VERY LOUD! They put me on the 4th floor which I thought would be fine but I must have been right above the reception hall because I felt like I was at the wedding once the music started at 9pm. I had to call and request to switch rooms. Wasn't very happy about that since I was getting up early the next morning. They moved me to the 6th floor in the back and I couldn't hear a thing... other than my heat/AC making banging noises all night. UGH! I only got a couple of hours of sleep which I wasn't pleased with after paying $150/night. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kytraveler79,
Please accept my sincere apology for the noises that disturbed your rest. I know how frustrating that can be! I hope that you will return in the future and give us a second chance to win your continued patronage. Please call me directly so that I can personally handle your reservation.
Director of Sales & Marketing and Interim General Manager
Newburgh, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

As far as Westin's go, they usually don't disappoint. Well, this one certainly does. I have stayed at a few Westin's that have been inferior, and this is certainly one of them.
For one, the rooms are tiny, unless you get a suite, and there are only a handful of them. So, upgrades are really non-existent. If you're claustrophobic in the least, pick a different hotel. You're not that limited here in Columbus, there are nice four stars downtown.
Secondly, the furniture and the carpeting are sorely in need of replacing. Everything is dingy, and the carpeting is worn out in spots. I'm shocked that they're allowed to keep the Westin banner.
Lastly, the bathroom is tiny as well. You could not fit more than one person at a time in there.
I'm very sorry that I picked this place. I will never stay here again; there are such better choices to be had elsewhere.
Don't get conned by the "historical nature and charm" of the hotel. I've been to many of the old "dames" (Pfister, SF Fairmont, DuPont, Jefferson, SF Palace, etc) and the Westin Columbus doesn't even begin to compare favorably.
You've been warned ..... but, happy and safe travels to all !

Room Tip: If you can book a suite, that is the only way you should stay here. You won't be happy with the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
philbe64, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Ray S,
It is disappointing to learn that all of the efforts of our management staff did not meet your expectations. I know that we tried very hard to ensure that you were satisfied and comfortable while you were here. Please know that we are always in the process of renovating our hotel with the guidance and assistance of the Starwood Design Team and we strive to maintain our hotel in the best possible fashion. Our guestrooms and public areas were renovated only a few years ago, and this year we completed the renovation of our Westin Workout Center, Thurber's Bar and our new fresh-air patio. Perhaps you will return some time in the future and give the hotel a second look.
Director of Sales and Interim General Manager
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We visited the Westin Columbus this past weekend. The hotel was in a perfect location, within walking distance to top Columbus sights and just around the corner from one of the new CoGo bike stations (which I highly recommend for seeing the city!).

We stayed in a deluxe king room, and it was beautiful. Clean room, great service, and the room service was timely and delicious. There was a wedding reception on our floor one evening and room service brought up a bucket of ice for us so we wouldn't have to walk through the reception to get it!

The only thing keeping me from rating the Westin five stars is the lack of a pool and spa services.

I highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again on any future trips to Columbus.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Berael,
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a generous review! We hope that you will return again soon. There are lots of interesting things to do and see in Downtown Columbus and we offer in-room spa services and there are some really nice day-Spas within a short walk. We would be happy to help you make appointments or reservations.
West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin Columbus for a pet related event. While many hotels (begrudgingly) "accept" pets and sometimes treats them and their owners with disdain, the Westin Columbus truly welcomes pets and treats them and their owners with respect. The staff was incredibly friendly and happy to help with everything and anything that was needed. This is truly the best staff I have ever encountered in my 42 years. They go above and beyond. I misplaced my laptop outside the hotel, and one of the Valet staff found it and turned it in. I am so grateful for this. I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't make special mention of Rich, David, and Tony. The food at the Thurber bar was not only delicious but quite affordable and I would recommend eating there whether you stay at the hotel or not. The hotel was beautiful and historic. The only bad part is that no matter where I stay in the future, I don't think any place will compare, or come close to the excellent service that I received at the Westin Columbus.

Room Tip: If you don't like feather pillows, you can request another kind. The shower heads are fabulous...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Justine,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your generous review and kind words. We loved hosting the Pet-centric event and hope to see you back next year!
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

friendly and helpful staff, as a Starwood platinum they fulfill room requests. The breakfast is excellent, wide ranging choices and fresh. Rooms are large and clean. The beds are great.

The building has a beautiful lobby and a classic look, which means that the rooms are older and in need of minor updates.

All in all, I will keep coming back and recommend for business trips to Columbus.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have to say the truth, and the truth is this was a very nice place to stay but I would most likely choose another location in Columbus next time. While very attractive and very nice staffing, the room had an odor when I went in, and there was an "ionizer" running which suggested to me there had been a problem with a pet or some other issue. The machine was very loud. It was a comfortable room for one, but I had to close the bathroom door to get to the main door exit. Our meeting rooms were not terribly comfortable. My room key kept being dysfunctional and the clerk would 'suggest' that I had put my cell phone close to it and inactivated it, which I had not.

Dear Insureu2,
Thank you for visiting the Westin Columbus. I hope that you will give us a second chance in the future. We have many different room sizes and configurations, and a variety of meeting spaces and we would love to show them to you. Please do come back again.
MReddy

Been to The Westin Columbus? Share your experiences!