“Downtown Columbus” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Champaign,Il.
“Downtown Columbus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The staff are eager to be of assistance. they accept pets. In downtown, convenient valet parking. 10 minutes from OSU, beautifully maintained older hotel with all the usual you have come to expect for a Westin. I was surprised and dismayed that for a property of this caliber and expense that free WI FI was not provided. That should be standard as it is in many less expensive sites.

Room Tip: They take pets, close to OSU, easy to get to, valet parking
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Rio de Janeiro
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

From the outside this seems to be a gem. From the inside this place seems to be a parody, a bad parody, of a hotel. There are few services, the breakfast seems to have been prepared around the last hotel remodeling and there is no space for working. The rooms are adequate and quiet. The prices are usually cheap, and they should be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Jbcarioca,
Please accept my apology for this tardy response. It is important for us to know when we fail to meet the expectations of our guests and we take your comments very seriously. We will use your feedback to spur ourselve on to improve in all areas of the hotel. The hotel was renovated just a couple of years ago, and we strive to provide true Westin service to all our guests. I hope that you will return in the future and give us a second chance to demonstrate our commitment to your complete satisfaction.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was treated like a Celeb! The hotel is beautiful. The staff greets you with a smile. Check in was a breeze! My room was perfect exactly what I had asked for. I decided to take the stairs down and got lost and the Mantiance guy kindly walked me to the elevator. Thurbers was delicious! The duck tacos were amazing! Then I received a special little gift from the General Manager welcoming me back. Such a great touch. I felt really special! The Heavenly Bed is always Heavenly. Check out was effortless. Just a great over night stay. It's that type of service that will me tell others and return again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hudson, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I would give this one star but the hotel is really better than that - it just seems to not have enough housekeeping staff.

Overall, there appears to be some type of management problem. 2 of our 3 rooms were not ready until after 5:30 (we waited an hour for these) and the 3rd we didn't get into until around 7 PM. Our wasn't cleaned the next day until after 5 PM. The AC was set a 74 degrees and nothing we could do would change it. The thermostat did not change the temperature. We reported twice and nothing was done.

The reason I think it is a management problem is: First: the problems were due to not enough staff - housekeeping and maintenance. Second: They took up the free coffee at 8:30 and changed to water. Where do they think this is, Phoenix? In Columbus, hot coffee is need much more often than cold water. In any case, coffee until at least 9:00 AM would be done by someone who understood that all of his customers don't leave at the crack of dawn.

But I do love the hotel. It is a historic downtown property that is a few miles from OSU. Thurber's (the bar) was very good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Starwood has done extremely well with the Westin Columbus, taking an historical landmark hotel and renovating it while keeping the provenance of its wonderful architectural details and heritage from the era. The lobby is elegant with lavish sofas and high backed chairs to invite guests to relax and enjoy themselves. If you look closer you see the intricate wood work, wonderful marble floors, massive white pillars and high glass ceilings. The second level is open and provides some privacy for work or just relaxing via gold banister stairs on either side of the lobby. The rooms were nicely updated as well; they offer every modern convenience, cleanliness, and comfort.

The staff is always very friendly, efficient, and accommodating in any manner possible, ensuring the utmost excellence in making your stay and experience as comfortable as possible. It took them only a week before they learned my name and ever since I have been warmly greeted upon my arrival, departure and just passing through the lobby as if family.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel when you visit Columbus. I have been staying at the Westin every week for the last six months and plan to for the next six.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Patrick G,
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind and generous comments. We truly appreciate your patronage and hope that you will not hesitate to let us know if there is anything further that we can do to assure that every stay is comfortable and satisfactory.
Westin Columbus
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

To the Westin Columbus General Manager and Staff, THANK YOU so much for a wonderful stay at your hotel on Saturday (20 April 2013). Your “cradle-to-grave” care, attention to detail, and customer service was a class act. The journey began on a positive note with an email from Ms. Carol Keene (Administrative Assistant to Ms. Mahesh Reddy, General Manager) informing us of a courtesy upgrade to one of the nicest suites. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Mr. George Parizek who was gracious and hospitable in every way; I provided him a SPG Gold Thank You for his outstanding service. Then the extra nice touch --- a champagne amenity placed in our room while we were at dinner. By the way, special thanks to Ms. Reddy for the signed card recognizing our 28th anniversary. Again, my wife and I wanted to express our deepest gratitude for the service we received during our stay and thanks for making our anniversary celebration so wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MannytheManager,
I deeply appreciate that you took the time to share your comments and I enjoyed sharing them with our entire staff. Thank you for your generosity and thoughtfulness.
Please come back again soon.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've made 12 business trips to Columbus, Ohio over the past four months and always stay at the Westin. Each trip has been anywhere from 2 to 4 week nights. The staff welcomes me by name, and knows my preferences. I always feel welcome and appreciated. It's an easy walk from the Hotel to my business location, and nearby restaurants...although Thurber's Lounge at the hotel serves an excellent dinner and I have at least one meal there each visit. The new Executive Chef who came aboard in January revamped the dinner menu and I recommend you give it a try. The Housekeeping standards are impeccable and incredibly consistent. This is an hotel filled with history, character, and charm. It's not your cookie cutter, high-rise, impersonal convention hotel. If you like interesting and historical properties, updated with all the modern conveniences and amenities, I recommend The Westin Columbus.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior courtyard / air shaft have no view but are the most quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Mike R,
Thank you for your generous words! We appreciate that you took the time to share your comments and insight. We hope that you will continue to make our hotel your home base whenever you return to the Columbus area. You are a very valued guest and we look forward to your return!
MReddy

Been to The Westin Columbus? Share your experiences!