“hassle” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Maumee, OH
“hassle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

I booked our son's soccer team there for one night for a soccer tournament. I also was working with someone and arranged for a buffet dinner on Saturday night of our stay. She arranged for all our rooms to be blocked on the same floor of the banquet room. Between our 1st and 2nd games I called to see if any of the rooms were ready and was told they were not yet - which was acceptable because it was only noon, but when we went back at 4:00pm after our 2nd game, we were told only some of the rooms were ready. When I questioned this I was told that they had been sold out the privious night and that was causing the delay in getting the rooms turned around. We had a family with newborn twins who was stuck sitting in their car until their room was ready. Then I found out that some of out team was put on the 9th floor and some on the 2nd.
Needless to say we were not pleased. If you know all your rooms are going to need to be cleaned in a timely manner then schedule the proper amount of staff to get the rooms cleaned on time. And if you tell people check in is at 3:00 and they cannot get in till after 4:00pm then you better be able to offer something more then justy 2 breakfast vouchers to people traveling with families of at least 4. Finally - if you say you are going to put us on the same floor then do it!!! NONE of this is acceptable and I encourage you to be cautious when traveling here as a group.

• Liked — Accessability to resturants and highway
  • Disliked — Check-in service
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Dayton ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

I stayed here for 4 days for business. It is close to 270/23. Lots of
places to eat, movie theater and Starbucks near by.
Good housekeeping and front desk help.
The only negative is the cost of the Breakfast Buffet. not worth the money.
Less than 10miles to great shopping and easy access to I71/70.
I am a female that was traveling alone and felt safe both in hotel and surrounding areas.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Fitness area closed for remodel.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

We could not have enjoyed our stay more. I use Hotwire quite a bit and have not been disappointed yet. Every room in the hotel is a suite. Our room was decorated nicely. The bed was so comfortable my husband and I did not want to go home and sleep in our own bed. We had the best nights sleep. The staff is wonderful. We had a problem with the heat in our room and called the front desk. They had someone up to our room within 5 minutes and the problem was fixed. The hotel was full but very quiet.
The breakfast buffet was a little pricey for what was served, but that is the only negative thing about our stay. There are many restaurants all around the hotel so you do not have to worry about where to eat. There are places to eat for every budget. The front desk was able to recommend a great place for us to eat.

We will stay here again when in the area.

Melody

• Liked — The comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Breakfast buffet
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Long Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

I expect a lot more from Sheraton/Starwood than you get at this location. This property is apparently in the process of being rehabbed, but rooms have a musty odor & smell highly of disinfectant. (We refused to check into one room the musty odor was so bad). The toilet in our room was so loose it rocked when you sat on it & despite a pleasant reminder to the front desk that they should fix a loose toilet immediately, it wasn't repaired in the three days we stayed there.

Furniture in the rooms is cheap and ill-fitting & yet Hotwire rates this a 3.5 star - no way! Spend a little more & stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

Had a great stay! They are making some great improvements to the property. Flat Panel TVs were AWESOME! in both the Bedroom and Livingroom. Staff was nice and helpful. They have this new computer center in the lobby. It is free and is so nice. I was able to walk to restauants and there is a movie theatre across the street as well. Conviently located in the north end of town. I would definitely stay here again. Great value for what I paid ($109).

• Liked — High Tech
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

Stayed here for a week for business... Meetings held in hotel, so most convenient for us. From the first day, flatscreen in front room of suite acted up. After about 15 min, a HORRIBLE screeching noise emitted. After numerous tries, sound kept returning despite off/on, letting set cool down, changing channels, etc. Resorted to watching screen in bedroom... Reported it to management next day, requested new screen as would be here for week and hotel full (no more rooms). Screen NEVER looked at; I would unplug it so I'd know if anyone even attempted to service it. It'd be plugged in when I returned, but always same screeching problem. Never an apology or offer of any sort of compensation from any manager on duty! I might as well just have stayed in a "regular" hotel room instead of a "suite", as I had looked forward to utilizing the "living" area during my stay instead of "cooped up" in bedroom portion.
The micro and fridge are nice and I was lucky to get an upper floor, where as an "executive", you get 2 free bottled waters a day. (Others at conference had to "pay" for theirs cuz they were on a lower floor). It was a nice touch, when you actually GOT the water. For the 5 days I was there, I had to call housekeeping to "request" my "free" waters, but they NEVER materialized. Finally, on final night there, I complained to front desk and he offered me "whatever I wanted" from their tiny gift shop. It was abit late to pickup an extra water or even a soda, as I was departing next morning, but at least he offered.
Another peeve was the fact that despite being gone all day, I had to call housekeeping TWICE in 5 days to request fresh linens. They never even came into the room! I told them to forget even making the beds, just pls deliver some fresh towels and empty the garbage can. Isn't it just normal routine to clean each room as you work down the hall? I was out of room by 745a and back at 5p, so not like I had an odd or late schedule.
On the plus side, I did like their toiletries. The citrus mint scent was refreshing after a long day in meetings.
There are also several eateries across the street, plus a movie theatre. Did not have car, so nice to walk over to get bite to eat. Food was cheaper and tastier than the "restaurant" in the hotel. Paid $12 for club sand/fries the first night; it was almost all fries, with only an avg sandwich. Walked across the next night and got a ton of food from Chipotle (mexican) and the chinese place for almost same price. Ate some of each, saved the rest for breakfast and lunch the next day.
Would I stay again? Perhaps, altho I hope I don't have to ever return to Columbus again, for work or certainly not pleasure. I would prob find somewhere else. Would have to say, for the Sheraton name, I expected more.... Plus, having to deal w/ a screeching tv and shoddy housekeeping details, I was very disappointed in their guest services as a whole. I was never offered any sort of compensation, which while not expected, would have been a nice gesture. With that, I will not stay again, unless directed to...

• Liked — Toiletries were pretty nice, considering....
  • Disliked — Poor housekeeping and maintenance services, lack of attention to detail, lack of managment's concern for simple requests (bottled water, replace defective tv).
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Overall I really liked the Sheraton. The location was convenient to most places via the freeway, and it is surrounded by many restaurants.

Liked:
-Big rooms
-Fridge/Microwave
-Comfortable bed
-Toiletries
-Nice TV's (2 in each room)
-Pool
-Lobby/bar
-Workout machines - brand new
-Free parking

Disliked:
-Carpets had rings of dust around room by the walls. Obviously the vacuum cleaners do not quite reach the walls.
-Indoor pool deck was a little grimy.
-Workout room was temporarily moved to a guest suite, which was not cleaned very often.
-Hotel breakfast is very expensive
-Wireless internet is 9.95/day
-Cable signal in the rooms is weak

• Liked — BIg beds, big rooms
  • Disliked — housekeeping issues
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Suites Columbus? Share your experiences!