“So happy with the room.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus, Zumstein Dr

You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus, Zumstein Dr to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus, Zumstein Dr
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6191 Zumstein Drive, Columbus, OH 43229 (Formerly Residence Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #94 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Louisville, Ohio
“So happy with the room.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Due to my husband's health, I requested a Non-smoking, Handicapped Accessible room. It was close enough to where we parked the car, that the wheelchair was not necessary. The room was very easy to maneuver if he would have had the chair in there. The mattress was comfortable, the restroom spacious, and, much to my surprise, we had a kitchen equipped with everything needed including refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and everything needed to prepare an easy meal. No need to go out to eat if not feeling up to it. We had a very relaxing evening in. In the morning a breakfast was available which included hot foods. Another savings. The young women staffing the front desk and the breakfast were very helpful, polite, informative, and professional without being stiff. I train people how to do janitorial tasks for a living and checked this room well. Everything was very clean including the bedding, corners, and areas that could easily be missed by hurrying to fast or just skipping to save time. Kudos to the cleaning staff. Best of all, this room came at a very reasonable price, which is wonderful for a budget. I will look forward to returning and definitely recommend Hawthorn Suites to others.

Room Tip: After booking the room on line, I called to confirm it would be a room we could use. I told the desk...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Somewhere
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here because it was 60 dollars for the night.

For a few bonuses, it was free wifi, breakfast (which we were unable to stay for), and a huge room service menu.

Upon entering, the room temp was set at 85 degrees. We turn off the heat immediately and let the door open to cool it down. The bed was so worn out, that you seeped toward the middle when you laid down.The foldout couch was deemed "The torture rack" due to being able to feel every single spring inside of the mattress. As we pulled off the cushions, I took pictures of a gross stain, while the flash had revealed the true condition of its cleanliness. There was also a carrot, and popcorn kernels underneath the couch. How did the cleaning staff miss this, and miss that the temp was at 85? Furthermore, after finally managing to fall asleep on the bed, and the foldout couch, we had a rude awakening at 2am as someone had set our alarm clock. None of us including our kid were able to get back to sleep which resulted in a restless night, and horrible proceeding day.

As it rained the night prior, we were greeted with 3-4 inch deep puddles of water at the bottom of the stairs, which got our socks and shoes soaked as we checked out. Nice way to put the cherry on the cake on this experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
hawthorncolumbusgm, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus, Zumstein Dr, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We are currently working on replacing our older sofa beds. I apologize that the cleanliness of the room was not to the level it should have been. I am investigating this issue and fixing it immediately. If there is anything I can do for you in the meantime, please contact me directly at the hotel at 614-431-1819. Thank you for being our guest and I hope you give us the chance to show you our improvements soon.
Western NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times. This is our hotel of choice when visiting equine events at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. Our most recent visit was during the October event All American Quarter Horse Congress. I had booked a penthouse as I usually do for our weekend stay. While this hotel is not new, it is worn a bit, it is a great value for the $$$. The Penthouse has two bathrooms and a lower bedroom and upper loft. We had planned to attend with out college aged daughter. When we got down to the last days my daughter couldn't go due to her work schedule. So my wife and I went alone. The Morning of our trip I received a desperate call from the Hotel. They claimed a heavy rain had forced water into our room and it would not be available. He gave options of two smaller rooms for the same price or a room with a pullout bed for a good deal $20 off the special price for that room. I explained that we only had two going and it worked out well to have a smaller room. The manager gave a sigh of relief and we were booked.

I apologize for being so wordy but wanted to explain the story. It could happen to you as this is an older hotel and can be prone to room closures due to leaks, clogged drains etc. Not a problem as they do well to accommodate. This was to be our first stay in the ground level room. Seemed almost like a basement apartment in a way. When we walked in we were pleasantly surprised. The room looked great and in general seemed to have less wear than the rooms we were used to. At one point the hotel had a reputation for people renting the penthouse suites for parties or giant groups. It seems some unfavorable guests would rent the penthouse - built for 4-6 people - and have keg parties with dozens of people with loud music spilling out of the rooms. Very uncomfortable for other guests who may want to go to sleep early or even trying to find a parking spot and ascend the outdoor stairs to their rooms. I believe those days are gone and the rooms are slowly being improved.

As for our room I have posted pictures here. I always check the cupboards quickly upon entry for bugs. I don't carry a black light but they room looked pretty good. I was very please with the LCD tv which was an improvement from when we started going there a few years ago.

The breakfast was pretty good however we were very disappointed that we did not get sausage gravy and buscuits. They actually served the same meal on both saturday and sunday.

I first want to say I am not related to the hotel and the pictures were taken the morning after our first night.

We usually arrive very late on friday and check out sunday morning. with very little time spent in the room as saturday night has become a time for a dinner out at either the Sawmill Rd. area or Polaris parkway. ( the wife prefers the chain restaurants rather than for example Schmidts - I once got her there but the wait was so long we drove all the way to sawmill rd to a chain.

So all in all it was a good visit. We hope they make sure to alternate their breakfasts, especially on the weekends.

Room Tip: Take time to search for the best deal. Be sure to use any discount you can AAA, AARP, Military, Gove...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus, Zumstein Dr? Share your experiences!