“Don't stay here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #107 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Windsor, CO
“Don't stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

I was critical of the hotel based upon prior reviews. The location is fine. The evening staff were nice. The grounds were well kept.

The problems: First, if you need wheelchair access, the bathroom was fine. The bed are area closet does not have access. The kitchen has quasi access to the fridge and sink, but not the cooktop. There is no access to the breakfast area, and when my assistant tried to bring breakfast to me and other wheelchair users in our family, the staff prevented her from doing so. It was only after a great deal of arguing that she was able to leave with the food.

Then to top it off, upon checkout I discovered that they did not charge me the quoted rate for the accessible room, but rather nearly double the quoted rate. Our non accessible room was provided at the quoted rate. The check out clerk refused to fix the problem and told me I woukd have to wait 2 hours for the general manager to come.

There is no trailer or RV parking and a shortage of accessible spaces

The cleanliness was marginal. My daughter founf a dirty used qtip on the floor. At least one of the outlets lacked an outlet cover.

These rooms do not have a full kitchen as advertised. They have an old week cooktop and microwave and fridge

• Stayed November 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hawthorn suites.. My husband and I were looking for a nice hotel because our home was getting remodeled. We didnt want to pay a arm and a leg but something nice. When I walked into the room , I was very inpressed because the room was clean, spacious and up to date. I really enjoyed the fire place. We ate breakfast in the morning and a great nights sleep on there comforable beds. The gen. manager was very helpful as well as the other staff.... I would visit this hotel at least once a month for leisure.!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I love how the manager is responding now however he did not respond to our horrible stay..moldy filthy room no hot water for showers in front desk clerk slash manager tried to steal our identity..please please research and take these reviews seriously this place is not good. there isn't enough time to speak everything but please this is horrible..pictures to follow

• Stayed May 2010
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

I stayed with a school group and we had 22 rooms to check in but it took an hour and a half to check in. There is an abandoned hotel next door that is very scary. There is a fence around the Hawthorn Suites and a gate, but you need your room key to exit the hotel, not to enter, so anyone can just drive in. The rooms have outdoor entrance doors and there was someone sitting on the stairs to one of the units smoking pot. Someone in our group also found bed bugs. One of the rooms was unlocked when we got there and another room wouldn't open. It took over 5 trips to the front desk to get the room open. In the morning a different room would not open even though the lock light turned green instead of red. The manager had to come and pry the window open to get in.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Hotelie, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Airport Columbus East, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
We always appreciate feedback and we thank you for your patronage. We were told by numerous members of your group that they were extremely happy with our hotel, our rooms, our staff and our breakfast buffet. We apologize for the 2 rooms out of 22 rooms that had some minor door issues. The locks are battery-operated and sometimes the batteries die and they have to be changed out. Thats what the green to red means. In regards to bed bugs, we dont have any. Our beds are brand spanking new and we are checked by our staff and by the fire department regularly.

In regards to the gate, you only need a key to get in. There is no place to insert a key to exit. And we opened the gate so that your large group could get in and out without using keys numerous times.

The area is very safe and the hotel next door is closed and scheduled to be torn down in a couple months. I'm told they will be building a shopping center there. Yes its a temporary eyesore right now but thats about it.

Based on feedback froom your entire group, we saw your stay as a success. We apologize for your particular room mishap and would gladly like to amend the situation. Please call us to discuss.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I really enjoyed staying at the Hawthorn Suites, my stay there was great and the service was very friendly. I went with teenage girls and they had so much fun being in the pool and in the suite. The only bad thing that I can think of is the property next door it really is an eyesore. You all should think of expanding with that property. Thank for a great time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to your return visit! Safe Travels!
Ripley, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

The title is true. It's not the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. However, it is certainly far from the best. If you could move the property a couple miles down the road, I would consider saying this place was really good. The neighborhood is extremely sketchy. They have full tiem security and a gate to acess the parking lot, which is all good and well, but does reinforce the slum feel of the place. Nice kitchen in the room.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Ossining, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I had a great rate of $75 for a two floor, two room suite, with "free internet". But when I got there at 11 pm, the internet did not work and the toilet was running (rushing actually, as the rubber seat for the toilet ball had torn away, so water flowed freely like the toliet was on permanent flush). I tried fixing it manually, but it still ran and periodically reflushed itself, so I could not sleep. So I got smart and turned off the toilet completely.

The next day, I still had no internet, though it was one of the reasons I had picked this hotel. I told the guy at the front desk who explained "yes it's often out". I asked for a partial credit or to speak with the manager, but they said he wasn't in but they would tell him my request. I explained that I would post to the web if I did not hear from him. So now I am posting.

Even at a great price, this wasn't worth staying in. And given the lack of quality control, I'd stay away form the chain.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Airport Columbus East? Share your experiences!