“Great stay, very convenient to interstate” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #104 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
“Great stay, very convenient to interstate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

We have been staying at the Hawthorn Suites every August for about 10 years now, since back when it was a Marriott Residence Inn. We are more than happy with it! It is very quiet and we feel very secure there with their security an no party policies. We have stayed in 10 different suites in those ten years and never once had a "dirty room", they have always been spotless, and believe me, I have high standards. I have more than once left an estalishment after discovering it was less than clean!!

The suite we were in this year had a new flat screen TV and the new bed and bedding are delightful!!! We especially love the fact that it is a full suite with a fully applianced kitchen and living room with fireplace, (though we don't use it as we travel in August).

Gregory, the manager was extremely professional and very personable. We were excited that they have reinstituted the hot breakfast as it saevs us a lot of time in the morning.

It is VERY easy to find, practically visible from I-70, yet far enough away that you don't get any road noise. True there is an abandoned motel next door, but I heard that they are trying to buy it to make more parking, etc.

All in all, it is a good value and a very clean, convenient estalishment. If you are looking for a place to party and carry on, go somewhere else as they will not tolerate that there, for which I am grateful!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Elmira, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had with a hotel! I travel frequently with kids and for business as a nurse as does my boyfriend who is a cop. We arrived at this hotel after 8 hours in the car with 3 kids under the age of 7 and a 14 year old to be told there was an error with our reservations and it was for the previuos night. I will except that this was our fault but the girl behind the desk then said "I remember you calling last night and I told you to do the reservation online and you didn't want to". I asked if they had rooms avaliable and was told they had a room with a king size bed and could give us a cot. Not really big enough but we were 8 hours from home so we were going to take it until they told us it would cost twice what the room we were charged for the night before did. They refused to give us the internet rate and told us that the no show charge would then also increase since it was a special promotion for 50% off if you stayed one night and we were now going to stay two. Our bill would have went from $86 to $344. Needless to say we could not afford this. The desk clerk and a man who said he was the manager refused to give us a 1800 customer assistance number and told us no one else would be able to help us ,it was this or nothing. Customer assistance was unable to help us once we got home since this is independently owned. Don't stay here if you expect to be treated like a human being. Horrible !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed here because Wyndham is supposed to be a nice hotel. First room was dirty, bathroom was never clean and carpets were not vacuumed and it smelled musty. Second room had a moldy mattress, it was truly disgusting. Third room the sheets had never been changed! Hotel Manger would not return any of my calls, and he was not available both days we were there. Called the customer service line about the Hotel they were less then helpful. Truly disgusted with our stay. Warning stay far away from this hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hotelie, Owner at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Airport Columbus East, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
I apologize for your experience. We actually installed all new Sealy Posturepedic pillowtop mattresses (same as Ritz Carlton) at the hotel this past quarter so Im concerned about your comments regarding the mattress. In addition, the entire bedding package is brand new and consists of luxurious linens, new pillows, pillowcases, duvets and blankets. We also replaced all the TVs with 32 inch flat LG high definition Tv's (Penthouse Suites have 3 of them) and we redid the entire exterior of the hotel as well as our breakfast room, pool area, sports court and all new landscaping. All of these renovation were just completed last month. Our manager is at the hotel daily and I apologize if he was unavailable to assist you. Please contact us so that we may accommodate your concerns.
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

I called ahead of time to make sure my daughters (18) (20) could check-in (because i was at work and couldn't get off until later that evening) the lady i spoke to told me yes and that she would leave a note to let the next employee know. When my daughter arrived to check-in the lady at the desk said they couldn't stay because the card holder have to be with them and they were under age. My daughter called me and explained what was going on, so i spoked to the lady and she said she never said anything like that or couldn't find any note on file. So my husband had to check them in. After that my daughters and there friends told me that the hotel was dirty. The beds, the tubs, and toilets was nasty they had stains on them. On top of that the floors had dirt all over them, the pillows was also dirty because they had dirt markes on them. The people at the front desk were absolutely rude. They wouldn't give them any towels or rags until an adult was present which makes no since because they are (18) (20) years of age. The two male workers at the front desk were mocking them when they were asking for the towels and rags. One of my daughters friend who came didn't know what room number they were in so she asked the front desk and they jump to conclusion that they were having a party which they were not, there were only 4 of them in the hotel room. Both the 2 males were threatening to kick them out and getting smart to her for no reason at all. The location was absolutely bad because it was hard to find, then everything around it looked horrible and in back of the hotel there was factory. The truckers were loud around 3 and 4 in the morning, and they couldn't get any sleep at all.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
I'm fully aware of your children's stay and we have a strict no party policy. I apologize for any issues at checkin. In regards to your other comments, our hotel has brand new luxury bedding, all new luxury linens, all new Egyptian cotton towels, new TV's as well as other upgrades completed in June 2010. I spoke with my General Manager in regards to this situation. We cater to corporate clients as well as families and groups and provide high end extended stay accommodations. While the size of our suites are sometimes viewed as perfect for entertaining, we have a very strict no party policy and do not tolerate any misconduct.
Columbus Grove, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

This hotel was awesome, extremely clean, very attentive to all our needs.
The staff at check in desk were super friendly and very efficient.
The beds very comfortable

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

Could not believe this hotel the first time time I stayed here in March! We were on the last part of a road trip to Southern US and we got to the Columbus Gatehouse Inn at around 2 AM. Stayed up till 5 to enjoy the room. 2 Floor penthouse with 2 beds and a pullout queen, with refrigerator, oven, dishes, cutlery, the works!! Amazing value, wish we could have stayed longer. A short drive to downtown Columbus, and the staff were super friendly (Hey Bryan!). They have an outdoor pool, basketball court, and fitness room. Can't say enough about this place and cant wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

While this may have initially been a 3 star property, the overall appearance, location and service are not up to par. The studio rooms are definitely spacious and work out well for the business traveller. Overall my room was clean enough but there were a few areas that were overlooked. The location is out of the way and hard to find. It is in an area that is "transitional" in that it may have once been OK but there are lots of vacant hotels and retail in the immediate area. A little worrisome for a single female traveller -- even a road warrior like me. The outside of the buildings need paint and repair. Stairs to the units and decking need a good sweeping and power wash. While the grounds are maintained in terms of cut grass, there are no flowers or other touches to enhance the overall appearance making it look somewhat dreary for this time of the year.

My tub/shower did not drain and I wasn't able to complain until after 6 that day. I was told that they would call somebody the next day but that didn't help me as I wanted to shower that evening and not stand in dirty water. So I requested a plunger and fixed it myself --at least so I could take a shower. They did offer to switch rooms which would have been (for me) more of a hassle than unclogging the drain.

This is a studio hotel with full kitchen so they do not straighten your room i.e. make the bed each day. Someone did come around to see if I needed more towels.

I am forgiving of many issues as I only paid ~ $40 plus tax per night for this via a discount site. Regardless, my expectations were of a 3 star, not the 2 star hotel this has become due to ownership change and lack of maintenance. If you are willing to pay $70 or more a night then definitely choose another property and check the discount sites.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Airport Columbus East? Share your experiences!