My friend and I took advantage of a last minute travel package deal on Travelocity. We were headed to Columbus for the OSU vs. UMN football game and were thrilled to find a air/hotel package price under $300 for the weekend. The hotel included with the package was the Holiday Inn City Center. Familiar with and a frequent visitor of the Holiday Inn brand, we were thrilled. However, from the moment we arrived at the hotel, we were not. Check in was a disaster. Several people were standing around a L-shaped counter where one young girl tried to check everyone in. After 10 minutes of trying to check me in, she finally went back to get help for the rest of the guests at the counter. We travelled up the elevator (which was filthy with dirt and dust) where there was a sign "please pardon our appearance while we renovate." However, the filth was greater than renovation dust. It seems the carpet had not been vacuumed in months! We got to our room on the 5th floor. It was cold so my friend turned on the heat. We decided to grab a bite, so we went to the hotel restaurant where we had terrible service (the waitress was seemingly new- so we cut her some slack and left an ample tip) the food was less than mediocre (my salad arrived and I was half way through my meal before the waitress returned to ask my friend how he would like his hamburger cooked). After dinner, we took a drive around Columbus and then returned to our room. With the heat up around 85, the room was still freezing cold. We called the front desk and they sent someone up to check. It also took more than 10 minutes (yes, we actually timed it) for the hot water to turn luke warm. After several minutes of attempting to fix the heat, the mechanic had us moved to a room on the 11th floor. We took our stuff up and were happy to have heat, however, we walked into the bathroom and tried to close the door. It was broken and a small, filthy cosmetics mirror was left in a pool of water with a dirty wash cloth on the sink. Exh
ig game the next day, we just ignored the bathroom and went to sleep. The following evening, we requested a 3:15am wake up call to make sure that we would meet our 6am departing flight. The phone finally rang at 3:$5 and we rushed to make it out the door before 4 to allow for ample time to refuel and return our rental car and check in for our flight. When I went to the counter to check-out (only going to the counter because the express check out on the tv showed a balance that was far more than the fee for parking I had expected) the clerk at the counter said "you want to check out now??" I said, "Yes" and asked her for a printed copy of my incidental charges. She told me she was "unable to do so." When I asked her about the wake up call she said "you requested a wake up call?" As if she were in some sort of disbelief that we needed to leave the hotel so early.
All in all, it was an awful first impression of Columbus. This particular Holiday Inn is a very sad representation of the chain and I suggest travellers to Columbus for the first time select a hotel closer to the airport or in nearby Dublin, where there is much more to offer a traveller than the concrete and confusing one-way downtown of Columbus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover all that downtown Columbus has to offer at the convenient, comfortable Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capitol Square. You are at the heart of everything; shopping, dining, entertainment and the arts. You are within a short distance of German Village, Short North Arts District, The Arena District, the Greater Columbus Convention Center, Nationwide Arena, home of the Columbus Blue Jackets, and the new Huntington Park, home of the Columbus Clippers. We offer a complimentary airport shuttle to get you back and forth to Port Columbus International Airport, just 8 miles away. The Capital building, Federal building, Grant Hospital, Children's Hospital, and Nationwide are all less than five minutes away. The hotel is ideally situated whether you are traveling on business or pleasure. The professional and friendly staff of this Columbus hotel is waiting to make your stay away from home as comfortable as possible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square Hotel Columbus
- Columbus Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square Ohio