“Very nice hotel. Underrated!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #86 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Ohio
“Very nice hotel. Underrated!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2009

Stayed here with a friend for a concert downtown and was pleasantly surprised. I had read reviews and the hotel didn't seem "that" appealing but we decided to go with it anyways. Entrance is very nice. Rooms were nice and clean and spacious for two double beds. Free wireless was a plus! Hotel has a pool and small gym and though we didn't use either, we did check them out and they both appeared to be nice. Very quiet at night. Only downfall was $10 a day for parking and the restaurant closes at 9:30. Close to several other restaurants downtown though. All of the staff we came across was friendly, though they didn't offer to help with our bags upon arrival or leaving. Small thing you kind of expect but no big deal. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

MINUSES
1. No vanity space whatsoever. Bathrooms are very small.
2. Water fluctuated from scalding hot to barely warm. Not sure if staying on the 12th floor and anything to do with that.
3. Internet was spotty.
4. $10/day to park was discouraging. Especially considering there were only a few cars in the parking lot. It's not as though they didn't have the space.

PLUSES
1. Friendly staff
2. Nice bar area. Good for a drink or 6 after work.
3. Nice, modern reception area
4. Pool was clean and well maintained.
5. Good location

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Stayed here for my state boards that were at Columbus State. Only had to stay one night and this place was perfect. No bells and whistles. They were doing major renovating at the time so it may be even better. Free wi-fi which was a plus.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Union, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

The Holiday Inn was the preferred hotel for an event we were attending in Columbus, and overall we found it was worth the money. Rooms were very clean and well-appointed for the price, and the staff was very accommodating.

That said, there were two issues the management should deal with. First, the elevators are outrageously slow. Given that it's a 12-story hotel, with more than 200 rooms, you'd expect them to operate with a little more regularity, but I found we'd be waiting upwards of 5 minutes for an elevator to come. I understand that happening during busy times, but all the time?

Second, the "free high-speed internet" rarely allowed us on. We heard from other people there the same thing happened to them, and the staff even acknowledged their WIFI server couldn't handle the sheer number of people trying to get on. When we did get on, it was dial-up slow. That should be an easy fix.

One thing the management can't resolve is the location, which is iffy at best. The Holiday Inn is close to the courthouse and offices, but the area is completely deserted at night, and we were accosted several times by vagrants looking for spare change and/or cigarettes - even while on hotel property. That probably says more about Columbus than the hotel itself, but it's definitely not someplace you want to stay if you plan to go out at night.

Overall, though, the price was right and the benefits outweigh the downsides here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

We prebooked two rooms months in advance at this hotel for a cheerleading competition at the Convention Centre the weekend of April 3-5, 2009. We stayed April 3 & 4. We were not happy with the beds we got, and because the hotel was fully booked with families, we were UNABLE to get a spare cot for our rooms, NOT EVEN ANY spare bedsheets or pillows!

We booked months ahead, arrived hours later than everyone else, but got snookered in spite of our efforts.

When I lifted my soap bottles from the facecloth covered "clamshell" dish on coutnertop in our bathroom, I found HAIR / WHISKER CLIPPINGS! Disgusted, I threw the clamshell, cloth and whisker clippings on the floor underneath our coat rack beside our room door. Can you believe that it the dish and cloth were not even picked up from the floor, nor did we get a new clean one the next day after our room had been cleaned???!!!

Ughhh!

At least the very nice young lady working front desk Saturday morning gave us a voucher for $20.00 off the hotel buffet in apology for our circumstances when I complained. However, when I met with the Manager later Saturday evening, she offered me nothing! (I wish I could underline and bold text in these reviews.)

If we actually had to spend some time IN the hotel instead of at the Convention Centre so much, I would have blown my lid out of frustration. I noticed a wedding reception in our hotel that weekend; I wonder how they liked it.

In all honesty though: at least the digital thermostat fan controls in our room worked perfectly, the bathroom shower was hot and had great water pressure, the bathroom wasn't moldy, the bed wasn't that bad, the tiny swimming pool and main floor washrooms were very clean and the buffet wasn't that bad either (considering it was almost free).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Springfield, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

My room was very nice, very spacious. The front desk personnel were very courteous. The restaurant staff was also very courteous. The only thing that could have been better in the sense of location was that there weren't any restaurants "immediately" (as in 'within view') near. Being by myself and getting darker earlier, I was not real brave about venturing out. However there were restaurants within a few blocks on my walk to the training course I was taking (on the other side of the mall), I saw several. I had some training downtown, so this was a convenient place to stay. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Liked — very nice spacious room
  • Disliked — lack of restaurants in immediate vicinity (within view from hotel)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntington, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

This is a very nice hotel located in the heart of downtown Columbus. My husband and I were able to walk to many of the downtown attractions (Capitol, German Village area, etc). While it was in the center of the city, it was still a very quiet facility. We were awakened early in the morning by small children in the room beside us, but that was not the hotel's fault at all. We had easy check-in, and the room was perfect. Very clean, neat, orderly, and spacious as well. Late at night I realized I had left my contact solution and case at home. The front desk staff gave us detailed directions to the nearest 24-hour pharmacy store (a Kroger only a few blocks away) so I could get these items. The front desk staff was always very friendly and courteous, and helpful and knowledgable. The facility also has an indoor pool and a small fitness center. They both appeared to be open 24-hours, and they are brand new (as of Oct 2008), so very clean and well taken care of. This Holiday Inn was a great price and a great facility, and my husband and I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Had to pay to park
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square? Share your experiences!