“Not my First Choice” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 141 Hotels in Columbus
Durham, North Carolina
“Not my First Choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Let me start off by saying, there is nothing really wrong with this hotel. I am just used to staying at nicer places. The front desk staff was friendly and semi-knowledgeable in certain aspects. Melvin the maintenance guy was a great help to us locating a cart (no bell staff) so we could lug our luggage to our room. There are only four carts in this 12 floor hotel! The middle-aged blonde bartender is one of their biggest assets. She is definitely the most friendliest and sincere person they have on staff inside the hotel, remembering your name and your favorites after your first visit. The hotel provides shuttle service within the downtown area. Our favorite driver was Otis who never kept me waiting and always made good suggestions on where to eat (do not ask the front desk staff). As for the rooms, I have never stayed at hotels with rooms directly across from the elevator. This option does not work well for a light sleeper. The staff was very responsive to my needs and moved me to a higher level away from the elevator. I my new room, although the carpet was worn in some areas like the room across from the elevator, this room was remodeled. There were raised granite-like counter-tops in the tiny bathroom, shiny tile in the entry way of the room. Although the bathroom was small, it was remodeled nicely. The room contained a frig and a microwave which was pretty convenient. The pool and exercise area was nice but, it was adjacent to the business center. Therefore, the children and swimmers from the pool area had to walk past the executive conference rooms which seemed like an undesirable setup. All-in-all it was a fine stay and a decent value.

Room Tip: Chose a room on the upper level. I believe the lower levels are still being remodeled. If you are...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
NellieBoo,

Thank you for your comments regarding our facility. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please allow us host your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Business Development Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Williamstown, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We arrived around 3:30 and our room wasn't ready but they were very apologetic and went ahead and let us park and got us a room in about 5 minutes. The lobby was nice, as well as the pool area. The room was very clean and comfortable. The grounds were well maintained and the shuttle was very helpful. The hotel is within walking distance of the majority of restaurants and other attractions. The hotel is a lot cheaper than other hotels downtown and is great for the price. I will stay again when I am back in Columbus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Garrett G,

Thank you for you review of Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please allow us to host your next visit to Columbus, Ohio!

Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Not sure where all of these negative reviews come from at this hotel. It is an old hotel and they've done their best to clean it up. It's very typical of what Holiday Inn is doing to rebrand these properties.

The staff was fantastic (special shout out to Russell the van driver - GREAT GUY!!) Everyone was very pleasant, helpful and had great suggestions about where to go for eating or visiting the downtown area. Hotel parking is $10. Although they say it is secure, I never saw the gate go down, so I question how "secure" it is, but had no problems nor did any other guests.

I didn't see anyone eating in the restaurant, so can't comment on that. Internet worked great, bathroom was clean and bed was comfortable. No street noise. Only complaint, no outlets. The hotel should put in a power strip or something on the desk. You can only plug in one item at a time and these days, with all of my electrical gear, you need to have at least 3 or 4.

A good choice for being in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Backstreet1250,

Thank you for your comments regarding Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please allow us to host your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

From some of the other reviews of this hotel, we were not expecting much. Indeed, the location in the midst of an asphalt wasteland is not very attractive. BUT - we were met by a staff which gave us a welcome surprise. The people who work here are invariably friendly, helpful,and eager to make us comfortable. No, the restaurant is not going to win 3 Stars in the Guide Michelin, but it met our needs. The wait staff were cheerful and attentive. The front desk folks happily took care of our requests. The rooms are small but neat and clean, and the floor maids asked politely if we needed anything. The internet connection worked well right from the start, which is more than I can say about the much more expensive hotel in the last town on this trip.

For a hotel guest, friendly and professional staff make the all the difference, and reflect a good management. These guys will take care of you. They actually seemed glad to have us as guests!

The Downtown Holiday Inn is easy-off-easy-on from I-70 and I-71, so we recommend it to travelers passing this way. Plenty of on-site parking.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
George E,

Thank you for your comments regarding Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be able to host your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were there for 3 nights for an event at the convention center. The hotel room had ample space, two beds, large tv, desk, refrigerator. Housekeeping did a good job of cleaning each day and straightening the mess of a teenager. Front desk was always helpful when asked and usually greeted you coming and going. We tried the restaurant twice, once to place an order to go, although mine came out pretty quick that morning, when I went back the next day just to have something reheated-I think they forgot about it. 15 minutes later I was finally able to get someone’s attention in the kitchen again. Still the food that came out looked good and plentiful.

The hotel offers a shuttle within 3 miles. The daytime driver-ASH-I think he name was is a jewel. Very nice personality. Although the shuttles was suppose to stop at 10:30pm, they did come get us one late night. Probably close to midnight.

I would stay here again. We did not have any problems. Parking is 10.00 on site and always appeared to have spaces. They do charge 10.00 per night but then the gate is always up so if you didn't want to pay-I guess you could get by with it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
clbl999,

Thank you for you review of the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please allow us to host your next stay in Columbus, Ohio!

Sterling Heights, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I am a seminar leader and had the great fortune to work with the hotel staff at the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. Tourrus set up my meeting room and made sure everything was perfect. He brought me coffee while I was getting ready for the class I was teaching. Jeff from the hotel staff also greeted me in the morning and I was delighted with the responsive service from the entire team. The sleeping rooms are quite comfortable and, while it's an older hotel, it is super-clean. The parking is very convenient and well-lit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Salem, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I booked a night here because we were in town for a concert at the Bluestone which is walking distance from the Holiday Inn. If you mention you are going to Bluestone, they will give you a discounted rate. Very nice! We booked the hotel and were happy that we did because we are members of their program and never had a bad experience at a Holiday inn, however after reading reviews, I was very skeptical. The reviews were not all very nice, I almost cancelled but decided not to. I was happy to find that it was fine and I wasn't disappointed. Our main thing when booking a hotel is cleanliness. The lobby was nice and welcoming. We checked in with ( Joe) a very friendly and helpful staff member. He made you feel very welcomed and answered all of our questions we had about the area. We got to our room and I thought the bedroom looked spacious and the bed was very nicely made. I will say though that the carpet ( although no stains...yeah) was worn a bit. You could tell it was old. The wallpaper was in need of a good cleaning , it was also a bit worn (especially in the bathroom!). I can't say it was dirty and I didn't really feel uncomfortable, but I would say its time to update some things like carpet and wallpaper because you can tell it was quite old and stains on the wallpaper was a bit "yucky". We love staying at Holiday Inns , this one must have been one of the older ones we have stayed at. The shower was nice, great water pressure. My husband and I both used the fitness center. Although it is quite small, we both got our workout in and enjoyed the room. We were the only ones in there so even though the equipment was limited , we didn't have a problem. We didn't use the pool but did check it out and it looked very clean and kept up. We had breakfast in the morning. We didn't get the buffet but ordered off the menu and the food was very enjoyable! I am not a breakfast person but I loved their food and had a wonderful waitress! Would we stay here again? We probably would . Great staff, ideal location, great breakfast and decent room, just needs updated and a probably could use a little TLC.

Room Tip: Had a standard room and it was spacious!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Christa H,

Thank you so much for your review of the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Please allow us to host your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Business Development Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square? Share your experiences!